Welcome to Gaia! ::

For some reason I only just found out now that there is a comic creators community on here crying (been looking for a community to talk with people who are in the process of creating their own comic)
Anywayyyy, have you ever been worried about sharing your ideas or art with people on websites like this or Deviantart because they might take your idea? Now don't think that I'm trying to come off as "I think my idea's so great that anyone will want to steal" But for some reason I just get so paranoid that someone will take it and turn it into something better, maybe make a profit off it and I won't be able to do anything about it. I hope I'm not the only one that has thought this way :[
If you have too, how have you gotten over your fear?

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I really don't have paranoia over that sort of thing.

My thinking is that, by posting online, I am beginning to build a fanbase and an online presence and that if I have enough fans, people will help watch my back in case anyone rips off my finished work. (okay, my fanbase is not all that big yet, but I CAN HOPE!)

And sharing my ideas/plot bunnies. Those are usually in a state such that even if someone stole it, they'd still have to finish writing and draw the damn thing and someone too lazy/stupid/uncreative to handle the easiest point of creation* is, more likely than not, too lazy/stupid/uncreative to create a worthwhile comic.

*It's a lot easier think up an idea than it is to make it play out... Like when you've got that awesome fight scene in your head and then when you draw it, it looks like cat barf. gonk

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Here's the thing: an idea is an idea is an idea. A lot of ideas out there have been already done in some way or form already. Additionally, the people who steal ideas generally are unable to come up with their own, which is why they rob other people's stuff to start with. Just because a thief comes around and claims your idea doesn't mean that you two will come up with the same story, or that his story will be any good.

Granted, I don't post all my ideas online, but just enough to wet people's appetites without revealing all the twists and turns. I tell the complete stuff to a select group of friends who are critical and I trust won't run off with my work. But generally, if you never tell your ideas to anyone, how will people know what an amazing artist/writer you are?
Kupocake
Here's the thing: an idea is an idea is an idea. A lot of ideas out there have been already done in some way or form already. Additionally, the people who steal ideas generally are unable to come up with their own, which is why they rob other people's stuff to start with. Just because a thief comes around and claims your idea doesn't mean that you two will come up with the same story, or that his story will be any good.

Granted, I don't post all my ideas online, but just enough to wet people's appetites without revealing all the twists and turns. I tell the complete stuff to a select group of friends who are critical and I trust won't run off with my work. But generally, if you never tell your ideas to anyone, how will people know what an amazing artist/writer you are?

Well there are a couple of people I tell ideas to but they don't really give me feedback. They just say good job and send me on my way :/
xTeChNo_KiSsEsx

Anywayyyy, have you ever been worried about sharing your ideas or art with people on websites like this or Deviantart because they might take your idea?

Nope.

And for the record, I have been plagiarized, for profit. back when I made t-shirts, someone nicked a distinctive design, plastered their URL beneath it, and not only made their own shirts for comic conventions I was also attending, but put it on the main character in their own, terrible comic book.

Yes, this pissed me off. I confronted him, and he immediately manufactured an imaginary culprit who had provided him with the design without telling him where it came from. Needless to stay, he stopped trying to pass my work off as his own.

So, did this haunt me? Am I now paranoid about my creative endeavors? Nah.

Because most creative, productive people will forget better ideas than any plagiarist could ever "borrow." Compared to my plagiarist, I am a raging nuclear reaction of never-ending genius. (Trust me, I've read his comic. Literally the best thing about it was the crumb he snatched off my plate.)

And that's the best description for them. Plagiarists are crumb-snatchers. Any reasonably successful artist will be certainly imitated, and possibly plagiarized. If it happens, so what. If it's a problem, deal with it. People who act like it's the end of the world have more than likely either never had it actually happen, or literally have only one good idea.

Dapper Ladykiller

Time stamp things. from what i believe most things uploaded on the internet are already time stamped. when you put them out in public its already considered copyrighted under the law.

If you find a plagiarizer deal with it then, don't stunt your creative work just from small fears like that.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
It can happen, but worry not.
People who plagiarize, plagiarize bad since they can't retrace mental process of original creator which in the end results in horrible disfigurations.
I have never actually worried about that sort of thing. I always feel that if someone is going to take my idea, whatevs. Theirs will pale in comparison to mine, mainly becuase they have no idea what direction the story would go in, characters, plot twists, the works. It may sound easy to steal someones ideas, but there is a lot of work that goes into that. Most people are just to lazy or to dumb to go through with it, so don't worry smile biggrin emotion_brofist emotion_dealwithit

Eloquent Hunter

Nope.

Ideas are worthless compared to the execution.

Story time:

Last semester a class I was in had to do an "open project" for our final. We had to sell an idea to our client (the class), and update them with progress along the way, yadda yadda. Myself and another girl in the class were doing character designs for a comic book idea that we both had been kicking around for years.

The part where it got interesting was, as she was presenting her idea, the plot summary she gave sounded like it was ripped exactly from my world building notes. Did she steal my idea? No. It's just that ideas are so dime a dozen that two people in the same class came to the same general plot outline and world backstory, despite having never discussed their ideas with the other prior to the event.

The other interesting part was, because we're two different people with different preferences, tastes, aesthetics, etc., the execution wasn't the same in the slightest, and, ultimately, they'd come across as two different and unrelated stories because of the details, none the least of which was my preference for a rather grim and serious story, with adults as a target audience, while she took it in a more playful, fantastical and light-hearted direction that would do better with young teenagers.

End point: even if someone steals your idea (which I wouldn't really worry about), they aren't you. And it's hard to replicate someone's details, even if it's easy to replicate someone's plot. Especially since you'd have to already be putting your work out there, with presumed visibility, if someone's going to come along and swipe your idea and your details.

In terms of them stealing and doing it better (doubtful that actually happens, since people who are good at storytelling usually can make their own ideas)? Not to be callous, but in that case, I'd be pissed, but it would also show me I have to improve my product if I want to compete.
I always feel like my ideas aren't original enough to be unique specifically to me. Even if someone 'takes' my idea, there's probably someone else out there who's dead and established who did the same idea 1000 times better all the way back in 1832 or something. And the ideas won't automatically look the same after they've been brought to fruition, as in the example above.

Profitable Prophet

...I really, really want someone to plagiarize my work, actually.

Because then, that means IT'S GOOD ENOUGH TO STEAL.

And really, I don't care. I've never had the skill or time to write things for profit, and if someone were to take those things and draw them, I would be overjoyed, because that's just my work getting out there. Oh, I would tell them that it is mine and that stealing is wrong, but on the inside, I'd be fangirling it up a little.

I think plagiarizing is a legitimization of someone's work, something that says "Yes. Your ideas ARE better than someone else's." It's a commendation, and a medal to be worn with pride.
xTeChNo_KiSsEsx
For some reason I only just found out now that there is a comic creators community on here crying (been looking for a community to talk with people who are in the process of creating their own comic)
Anywayyyy, have you ever been worried about sharing your ideas or art with people on websites like this or Deviantart because they might take your idea? Now don't think that I'm trying to come off as "I think my idea's so great that anyone will want to steal" But for some reason I just get so paranoid that someone will take it and turn it into something better, maybe make a profit off it and I won't be able to do anything about it. I hope I'm not the only one that has thought this way :[
If you have too, how have you gotten over your fear?

Eh, it's not too much of a big deal. Like a lot of people have said, if it does happen, you made a good one! lol wink But if you are the one that wants to make profit off of it, don't post it online, send it to a publisher. Then when it's released it's all yours.

I used to think the same, but I guess I got over it. I guess just worry about it when it happens, and in the mean time enjoy your work! In addition to making it for your target audience, you're making it because you enjoy it! Don't let paranoia steal that away.
I used to be really paranoid about that, but I've mostly gotten over it. Pretty much, every basic idea for a story has already been written, and what actually makes a work unique is the execution--not just the idea behind it.
It would actually be pretty hilarious if anyone stole my story ideas. They're all on the cheesier/sillier side, and kind of overdone to begin with.

As everyone keeps saying, it's all in the execution.

I'm more worried about spoiling my own stories by accident. I want to keep the ending and all of the plot twists guarded so people will enjoy them more.

Revered Man-Lover

Wow. This thread and everyone's input has really helped me and my paranoia! I actually found this thread via google. Just so happens I have a Gaia account smile awesome!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff