Welcome to Gaia! ::

I hope this is in the right place... sweatdrop

Is there any really good How to Draw Manga books anyone can suggest to me? Except for Christopher Hart, of course; I find his a bit awkward... stare
claytonkid

Is there any really good How to Draw Manga books anyone can suggest to me? Except for Christopher Hart, of course; I find his a bit awkward... stare

Absolutely 0.

I kid you not.

I worked in an art store and read all the nice little articles on different how to draw books that were being published localy and overseas, and I didnt see a single one I would have suggested to a single person unless i WANTED to ruin their future as an artist.
Don't waste your time skill and money. Draw from life. Don't just coppy someone else's drawings. Which is exactly what every how do draw manga book I've ever seen does.
claytonkid

I did find a fairly good one that didn't try to force their style of drawing on me. It's called "Manga Techniques, how to draw japanese manga volume 5"

It does have a great deal of product advertisement for some pens and paper brands to use, but it lays out some basics in manga creation well, and doesn't at all make you draw a particular style or copy any images. Basically just a book on some things to try, and how to set up your manga. 3nodding

:shudders at the evil of christopher heart::
Understanding Comic by Scott McCloud is a good but... but, it's not a book for improving your art talent.

To improve your art skill: practice, life drwing, propertion, perspective, re-peat practice, copy and trace if you can't get it.... practice, practice, practice.

Understanding Comic breaks down and explains the theories behind how people make panels.
I personally liked the tone techniques one but...that's not really about drawing is it? I wouldn't trust those things to teach me how to draw. Drawing from life, as mentioned, it totally more practical.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff