Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sasuke_Uchiha27: You also don't get the critique you'll get on this. And 2K isn't that bad...Even I can afford that, and most of my gold disappears as soon as a I reach whatever it takes to get the next item...

Vergessen Held
It seems a little too large, too. I want this to be able to fit into my signature easily.

Okay, so categories of judgment.

Anatomy
Pacing
Site Layout
Character Development
Originality
Writing

Should any of these be changed to something else or should other things be added?

EDIT: Writing added.

Nuke Anatomy and Originalty; as you pointed out, Anatomy shouldn't be an issue, and Originality is overrated anyway. Although I'm obviously happy that most of the categories are for writers and web designers, and that the artist helps with pacing and Site Layout, there needs to be a "Art Quality" category ("Quality"allowing for art that would normally be considered "bad", but fits the comic rather well).

If it helps, here's how I'm seeing the current categories working, in terms of a writer/artist/web designer team:

Anatomy: Artist
Pacing: Artist/Writer
Site Layout: Artist/Web Designer
Character Development: Writer
Originality: Artist/Writer
Writing: Writer
Art Quality: Artist

TS

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
Sasuke_Uchiha27
thats a stupid idea chargeing 2000 gold when someone can easily make one of these for no charge and hold there own contest dummy!

punctuation is your friend.

public opinion, however, is not. compliments and prizes mean more coming from known critics than they do from unknown idiots that can't even spell.

Hunter

I definitely think that originality should stay. If a bunch of people enter with comics that are obvious Naruto clones, then they definitely deserve a point reduction for that.

Anatomy can be combined with another category, though.
I agree with TS, anatomy can just be put into art quality, but I think originality should stay, or at least be combined with writing, since it is a lot on the story and how it is executed.
okay if u want to spend your gold thats fine with me im just saying that is a stupid idea.
Since there is no such thing as originality any longer, I think what we ought to pay attention to instead is execution.

You guys are making the categories that are to be judged as though we're holding a story book contest, though. Do not forget this is for comics/sequential art/graphic novels/whatever you wish to call it. I agreed to being a judge because this has to do with comics.

That said, if we also take into consideration web design, then we ought to also consider the editing, proof reading, etc. that's been done for a web-comic. But although I think editors deserve just as much credit, it still sounds a little troublesome. Therefore I believe what we should do is only give a bit of input on web design and anatomy (i.e. we give critiques), but not have it affect how many points the comic will receive for the things that matter most (quality, execution, characters, etc.). Because at the end of the day, a comic can still be great even if it has a shoddy web layout or not so great anatomy.

Edit: And Held, I think you should add Sasuke to your ignore list. He won't be able to bother us again that way.
Finally, I get around to making a slower banner 4laugh
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
And then a smaller one:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Miser Bellatrix
Since there is no such thing as originality any longer, I think what we ought to pay attention to instead is execution.

You guys are making the categories that are to be judged as though we're holding a story book contest, though. Do not forget this is for comics/sequential art/graphic novels/whatever you wish to call it. I agreed to being a judge because this has to do with comics.

That said, if we also take into consideration web design, then we ought to also consider the editing, proof reading, etc. that's been done for a web-comic. But although I think editors deserve just as much credit, it still sounds a little troublesome. Therefore I believe what we should do is only give a bit of input on web design and anatomy (i.e. we give critiques), but not have it affect how many points the comic will receive for the things that matter most (quality, execution, characters, etc.). Because at the end of the day, a comic can still be great even if it has a shoddy web layout or not so great anatomy.

Edit: And Held, I think you should add Sasuke to your ignore list. He won't be able to bother us again that way.

I think it would be a great idea to include critique on things like 'proof reading' and 'editing', however, as far as I get the feeling (from places like Smackjeeves, where I will totally advertise this) that the majority of online-comics are 1-2 person operations, and many of those things are skipped over most of the time, or never done, ever.

Web design is all part of presentation, I guess. Its something that you can be 100% sure that the comic owners have considered or not.
My point exactly. It (sadly) doesn't matter as much as the comic itself matters. Although I admit, I refuse to read a comic if I can't get around the site. It reflects you more than accurate spelling does in dialogue, for example.
I have also found that a well-designed helps the experience, whereas a really poorly designed site sometimes detracts...And as we are looking at webcomics, that should be part of it, just as much as the printed materials are part of printed comics...

TS
Yeah I know. I just think it'd be a little unfair to include the site layout when assigning points, since not everyone is HTML savvy and not everyone has friends that can code/design layouts. And then some, like on Smack Jeeves, have web layouts that were done by other members or are the site's default.
In which case, they get an average score. I'm more interested in those have done at least some work on theirs, and have either done well or lousy....

TS
Mwahaha. My team decided that they wanted to enter. So we're going to work hard until June 1st! biggrin
XD I still don't think that's fair, but whatever you guys want. As long as I get what I want from this, I'm happy.
And let's hope that this contest will get lots of entries too!

I'm surprised that not many people from my webcomic list haven't actually submitted there entry in...><"

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff