Welcome to Gaia! ::

We're finished with reviewing the entries. Now all that's happening is we're calculating the final scores and then we'll hand out the prizes, SO PAY ATTENTION!

Rules of Entry
Regarding Entry Fees
Entry Applications
Prizes
How Entries Will Be Judged
List of Entries and Reviews

If, after reading all this, you still have questions, feel free to ask me or the other judges.

PROMOTE US!

We want as many people to hear about this as possible! Here are some signatures and shtuff, courtesy of Miser Bellatrix.
Miser Bellatrix
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

http://i14.tinypic.com/47jx189.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/2hz6dqr.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/2a4v0pj.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/447l92w.jpg

SPONSORS
None right now.
Rules of Entry

1) The entry fee is 2,000 gold.
Why so much? So stupid people don't throw in joke entries. If it's obvious you're just trying to jerk us around when submitting your entry, we won't let you enter. That means you shouldn't go "here's 2k lawlz, lewk at teh stick figers i drawed in clas on nootbok paperz".

2) Obviously, no cheating.
Cheating would be trying to bribe the judges, stealing art, attempting to submit an entry for someone else's comic, or attempting to submit multiple entries. Those who cheat will be disqualified and will not be given a refund of their entry fee. In addition, you will also be blacklisted. That means we'll make sure people know you're stealing from them. wink

3) Your comic must have at least 20 pages completed.
If your comic does not have 20 pages right now, don't worry; you've got until June 1st to submit your entry application.

4) You must have an account on Gaia.
This one should be fairly easy to follow since if you're reading this, chances are you already have an account with Gaia Online.

5) Your comic must already exist when you submit an entry.
There's no point in us trying to judge something that doesn't exist yet, kind of like saying a baby is cute when the mother isn't even due to give birth for a few months. If you try to submit an entry and we find out you don't have 20 pages come June 1st, you're disqualified, so make sure you don't send an entry and forget to update your comic.

6) Don't try to ******** with us.
I'll say it again: joke entries will get you banned from entering the contest (at least for this year).

7) You are not allowed to enter more than one entry.
It doesn't matter how good you are. It just wouldn't be fair to have one person enter 3 categories and win them. We're going to give everyone a chance at winning, so you can only enter one comic in the contest. You can, however, change which comic you want to have in the contest as long as the change is made before June 1st.

8 ) No fancomics. No doujinshi.
This is both for creative and legal reasons. Do NOT attempt to beg about this. If you slip a Sonic the Hedgehog doll into the background of a children's room in your comic, we probably don't give a s**t. A whole comic dedicated to, say, Final Fantasy 8, however, will be rejected outright.

9) No sprite comics unless the sprites are original.
Much like fancomics, most sprite comics contain copyrighted material, which can't be allowed.

10) Your entry cannot be a sidestory to something else.
Why? Because if something is developed enough to warrant a sidestory, then you have a main comic you're working on. Submit that, please. If it isn't a sidestory to your own comic, then it's a fancomic, which again isn't allowed for reasons we don't need to discuss.

11) If you win "Best of Show", you're agreeing to have your comic advertised on Gaia, deviantART, and my signature (among others who have volunteered their signatures).
Unless you decide to choose the extra option. What the hell am I talking about? See the Prizes section.
Regarding Entry Fees

As previously stated, all participants are required to send 2,000 Gaia Gold in order to enter. You must send it to me by June 1st in order for your entry to be granted.

But for the love of god, don't send me an entry fee unless you've sent your application in and I've made sure it's been filled out correctly. I don't want to get confused and accept money by accident and have you bitching at me. You are responsible for handling your own money.

Also, REAL money will not be accepted. Don't ask if you can use PayPal or anything else.

*cough* Right. Anyway, a few things regarding refunds.

Refunds

You will receive a refund if any of the following things happen:

1) You decide not to participate.

2) Your comic does not have 20 pages by June 1st.

If you are caught cheating in any way, you are disqualified and you will NOT receive a refund. People caught stealing credit for other's work will not only receive the aforementioned punishment, but will also be reported to the author of the work and the mods. Some authors already have copyrights on their work, so they will deal with you as they see fit.

You will also not receive a refund if you decide to throw in a joke entry. Why? Because most of the prize money is coming out of my pocket and you're trying to irritate me, which is never a good thing when someone's holding on to your money.
Entry Applications

Name: The name of your Gaia account.
Author Name: If you use your real name for your comic, please let us know what it is. If not, just give us your SmackJeeves account name. Not your password. Just the name of the author's account.
Comic Name: The name of the comic you want to submit as an entry. You can only submit one comic.
Website: If you've got your own website, kudos to you. If not, that's just fine. Enter the URL for your comic's website or link us to your SmackJeeves/DrunkDuck/Whatever page.
Genre(s): The main genre that your comic fits into should come first. The secondary genre should come after it. For example, if you write a Drama comic with a little Action in it, it should be Drama/Action.

Genres

This is a list of all the genres that you can list your webcomic under.

Romance (this includes shounen-ai/shoujo-ai, although we would appreciate you putting a warning on what kind of romance it is)
Mystery/Suspense
Horror
Action
Comedy (gag-a-day strips are not allowed, although if the comic has a plot that connects each page to the next, it will be allowed)
Fantasy
Science Fiction (Sci-Fi)
Drama
Historical (period pieces)
Modern Life

After you have applied

Once you have applied, I will post a comment on the newest page (for SmackJeeves) or whatever else I need to do to contact the author of the comic and its website and confirm that it is you who has entered.
Prizes!

This is the section I know everyone's going to skip to, but I decided to do it later anyway. These are the prizes.

For Each Genre
There will be a prize for the winner of each genre of 10,000 Gaia Gold and a donation item. You cannot win in more than one genre. That's 10 genres, making it 100,000 Gold split between 10 people.

Best of Show
In addition, there is a "Best of Show" prize of 50,000 Gaia Gold, two donation items, and free advertising on deviantART and my signature (along with a couple of people who have volunteered their own sigs) for a year. As an extra option, if you don't wish to advertise your own comic for whatever reason, you can pick a webcomic of your choice and we'll come to an agreement with the owner of that webcomic.

If you win Best of Show, you won't win in a genre. That's to keep people from being a little greedy.

Why only a year? Because I hope to do this again next year.
How Entries Will Be Judged

There are 120 points total, 40 to each of the 3 judges. We get the final grade from that. These 40 points are divided into 10 categories.

Art
-Paneling
-Medium
-Consistency
-Technical skill
-Backgrounds

Writing
-Execution
-Pacing
-Speech
-Grammar/Spelling
-Literary Value

Each category can get up to 4 points, from A (4) through F (0).

Web design will also either get you an extra point or lose a point, but only if it is done either exceptionally well or if the website is so bad that we couldn't find the comic if we had a map.

To keep judging unbiased, the judges are not allowed to enter nor is anyone else allowed to enter for them (as stated previously). That means that you won't be seeing The Best Therapy, Red Dog Venue, or Sex Percussions among the entries (unless one of us decides to resign from our position).

Please note that the JUDGES determine who wins the contest, not whether your comic has the most fans or not.

Judges

A simple list of the judges. Keep in mind that any attempt to bribe or influence the judges' opinions will get you disqualified. The judges are:

VergessenHeld
Miser Bellatrix
Tregory Sullivan

Note: Please keep in mind that who the judges are and the guidelines along which we judge may change, so make sure you've kept yourself up-to-date on this stuff before you make a complaint.
List of Entries

I'm double-checking the scores, so don't be too surprised if your score ends up different than it is now.

RAnSOM by waltze
Art: 31/60
Paneling: 9/12
Medium: 8/12
Consistency: 6/12
Technical Skill: 8/12
Backgrounds: 6/12
Writing: 33/60
Execution: 7/12
Pacing: 7/12
Speech: 5/12
Grammar/Spelling: 7/12
Literary Value: 7/12
Website Bonus: +2
Total: 66/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Lexcore by Murira
Art: 33/60
Medium: 6/12
Consistency: 8/12
Technical Skill: 6/12
Writing: 28/60
Execution: 5/12
Pacing: 6/12
Speech: 4/12
Grammar/Spelling: 10/12
Literary Value: 3/12
Total: 63/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Sorcery 101 by DannyGunn
Art: 35/60
Paneling: 6/12
Medium: 6/12
Consistency: 10/12
Technical Skill: 5/12
Backgrounds: 8/12
Writing: 36/60
Execution: 8/12
Speech: 9/12
Grammar/Spelling: 6/12
Literary Value: 6/12
Website Bonus: +3
Total: 74/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Haircut by SuperOppai
Art: 24/60
Medium: 3/12
Technical Skill: 4/12
Backgrounds: 2/12
Writing: 25/60
Pacing: 5/12
Grammar/Spelling: 8/12
Literary Value: 2/12
Total: 52/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Kitsune no Kage by asquirlu
Art: 20/60
Paneling: 4/12
Medium: 5/12
Consistency: 4/12
Backgrounds: 3/12
Writing: 10/60
Execution: 1/12
Pacing: 4/12
Speech: 3/12
Grammar/Spelling: 1/12
Literary Value: 1/12
Website Bonus: -2
Total: 28/120
My review
Miser's review
Tregory's review

Concrete Jungle by orangeRamen
Art: 34/60
Paneling: 8/12
Medium: 7/12
Consistency: 7/12
Technical Skill: 7/12
Backgrounds: 5/12
Writing: 19/60
Pacing: 5/12
Grammar/Spelling: 1/12
Website Bonus: +/- 0
Total: 53/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Red Zone by vicemage
Art: 30/60
Paneling: 7/12
Technical Skill: 5/12
Backgrounds: 7/12
Writing: 32/60
Speech: 7/12
Grammar/Spelling: 9/12
Literary Value: 4/12
Website Bonus: +/- 0
Total: 62/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Circus Knights by Nightmaresky
Art: 32/60
Backgrounds: 8/12
Writing: 25/60
Grammar/Spelling: 2/12
Literary Value: 5/12
Website Bonus: +1
Total: 58/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Hurrocks Fardel by Daidaishar
Art: 34/60
Medium: 7/12
Writing: 36/60
Pacing: 9/12
Grammar/Spelling: 5/12
Literary Value: 8/12
Total: 73/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Ash Kingdom by Kaxen
Art: 17/60
Paneling: 6/12
Technical Skill: 3/12
Backgrounds: 1/12
Writing: 28/60
Execution: 6/12
Speech: 6/12
Literary Value: 4/12
Website Bonus: -1
Total: 44/120
My review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Jager Rising by jinoku
Art: 30/60
Paneling = 7/12
Medium = 5/12
Consistency = 9/12
Technical Skill = 7/12
Backgrounds = 2/12
Writing: 24/60
Execution = 5/12
Pacing = 8/12
Speech = 5/12
Grammar/Spelling = 4/12
Literary Value = 2/12
Website Total: +/- 0
Total: 54/120
My review
Miser's Review
Tregory's review

First Kingdom by megrar
Art: 33/60
Paneling: 5/12
Medium: 8/12
Technical Skill: 8/12
Backgrounds: 4/12
Writing: 39/60
Pacing: 9/12
Speech: 8/12
Literary Value: 7/12
Website Bonus: -2
Total: 70/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Picatrix by Kimaris
Art: 27/60
Medium: 4/12
Backgrounds: 4/12
Writing: 19/30
Execution: 2/12
Pacing: 2/12
Grammar/Spelling: 7/12
Total: 48/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review

Promise Me! by Teurastaa
Art: 20/60
Paneling: 5/12
Technical Skill: 3/12
Backgrounds: 3/12
Writing: 19/60
Execution: 3/12
Pacing: 4/12
Grammar/Spelling: 4/12
Website Bonus: +1
Total: 40/120
My Review
Miser's Review
Tregory's Review
Hm... dunno if I can post yet... but I was just wondering whether this comic has to have GAIA characters in it...

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Hmmm, why the heck not?

Entry Application

Name: waltze
Author Name: Ran Thompson, SJ account = augest
Comic Name: RAnSOM
Genre(s): Horror, Fanatasy-Sci-fi (oh crap, it is both fanatasy and sci-fi =/), Mystery/Suspense, Shounen-ai romance (very mildly, secondary to plot--plot comes first).

And there is my application.

I'm slightly worried about doing very poorly, because, while I have almost a hundred pages of comic, the meaty, explanitory goodness that will make much of the comic make sense (because I leave a lot of thing hanging as hints) is still a chapter or two away =/ But meh, I could use a well written critique regardless. Also, if it would be possible to be judged for my latest chapter (go to archives, select chapter 2), that would be appreciated--my writing (which is all mine in chapter 1) is very poor, and I have enlisted in a writer for chapter 2.

Oh, aside from that, I'm willing to offer a fun item for each category--I'm up to my ears in them, so here's a list of 13 items (one for each category, 3 for romance--shounen-ai, het, shoujo-ai, 1 for best in show) that I am willing to offer up as prizes (in no particular order):

1)Mythrill Armor
2)Gift of the Goddess
3)Flame Sword
4)Winter Rose
5)spirit falcon
6)g-bot
7)whip of ice
cool chain of command
9)dark halo
10)sun staff
11)angelic microphone
12)elemental hair
13)ORLY? hat
Oh cool you guys actualy did it.

Sorry I don't have anything to submit though.

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
wow, i have . . . terribly mixed feelings here. on the one hand, i want to enter.

on the other--i'd be competing against waltze there sweatdrop
you started it! yay heart
Now I need to scramble and find a good story to write sweatdrop
megrar
wow, i have . . . terribly mixed feelings here. on the one hand, i want to enter.

on the other--i'd be competing against waltze there sweatdrop

same reaction here, but hey, there's multiple genres, and at the very least we'll get a quality critique, which is worth the 2000g in my eyes.

(I'm gonna fix some stuff up in mine before entering)
ahhh its finally up.
well good luck folks. smile
Oooh this is exciting. Better get the team up and ready for twenty pages. Wait that's perfect! That's exactly one chapter of my manga! biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff