Welcome to Gaia! ::

Big Member

considering buying G pen, anyone have pos/neg experience? also, anyone know where to buy in canada? shipping is mad expen$ive neutral

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
G-pens are okay. But when using a metal nib, you need to invest in getting nicer paper (like cardstock or bristol) because it's just gonna rip up thin and weak paper. I think the learning curve can be a bit difficult, but it does give a nice line quality.

I prefer brush pens over dip pens because dipping annoys me and sometimes I just wanna ink something I drew on a scrap. But dip pens are probably a close second with pens like Sakura Micron and Copic Multiliner being in a distant third. The best are the ones with actual bristles like a pentel water brush. The ones that are just a brush-shaped tipped pen piss me off; I rip those things to shreds in a week. x_x

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I use nib pens sometimes, I like them. They do have a steep learning curve and are not as convenient as technical pens or even a brush, but the lines they give are very nice, and fun to do. They're also economical.

As Kaxen says, definitely invest in the right paper. I find that smooth bristol or marker paper work best. Anything super smooth and not too absorbent works well. Toothy and soft paper is a no-no. Also, I use Speedball india ink for all my pen work. It's pretty cheap and really nice.

I buy all my stuff on DickBlick. I live in the US so I have no clue if they ship to Canada, but it's worth a look?

Big Member

thanks for the tips, guys. i mainly want to try dip pens for kind of looser/more "fluid" lines a la don flowers:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff