Welcome to Gaia! ::

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
En Lore

I'd like to gain initial interest in the project before I proceed with it.

I'm quite capable of drawing and writing, but not in the quantity required, and I want some real talented people to work with.

Main point -I'm interested in making several mini-series comics that go in-depth about the lore of the world of gaia, and it's species and races.

Aside from respecting pre-existing lore, I'd also like to really flesh-out a rich story for a fantasy world known as gaia that gaians can recognize and appreciate as "the story".

I will take on the role of an artist. Happy to do either drawing or colours, but if there are some really tallented illustrators out there that are interested, it would be much better for me to do colours.

I also need a Writer, and if in that writer's opinion, another writer to help them.

Please inform people you know that may be interested in this project.

I can provide samples via PM upon request, I cannot provide comic samples however, as this will be my second comic-type project, and my other one is years old.

edit. I am also capable of using InDesign for page layouts, and reasonably efficient at it. This can also be used if a mini-comic is desired by the writers to have digital rather than hand-written speeches and narrative, it's easy for me to copy/paste from a script with instructions on what frame they belong to, and do all the fancy borders and fonts and whathaveyou they do in comic books.

Re-working OP.

Positions

Artists 1/2
Brazekool, hiring

Writers 0/1
hiring

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
sounds kind of fun. i'm an artist and i'm a decent writer(mostly liking to write romances, drama, comedy, and horror). i don't have any examples of writing to show since i don't post them (all in script style for manga) but i have lots of examples of pictures i've made. i just have a few questions before deciding on getting into this.

around how many mini stories are you planning on working on?

what genre are you going for?

who will be starring in these? (made up characters or actual gaians?)

will this be full colored or colored cover with screen tones inside? (i have a ton of good quality screen tones i can play with)

if chosen as an artist, will i be responsible for the majority of the art(sketches, lining, and tones?)

where will these be posted?

will i be able to post the comics i work on in my personal gallery?

i plan on starting a serious manga next year, so i have a limited time to work on this. would that be ok?

i guess some of these questions will be answered if others come in an join. pm me your art so i can see if our styles (writing or art) would mesh well)

My gallery

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
XMegantronX
sounds kind of fun. i'm an artist and i'm a decent writer(mostly liking to write romances, drama, comedy, and horror). i don't have any examples of writing to show since i don't post them (all in script style for manga) but i have lots of examples of pictures i've made. i just have a few questions before deciding on getting into this.

i guess some of these questions will be answered if others come in an join. pm me your art so i can see if our styles (writing or art) would mesh well)

My gallery

Infinitely. I will work with the people who sign up with me for whatever term they're willing, and when they resign I will fill the position to continue my escapade.

I"m quite happy for different mini-series to have different 'feels' based on who wants to do what at the time. I guess overall it will feel like high-fantasy just because gaia has dark elves, vampires, humans, animated sign posts, etc, and is set in a world shrouded in much mystery (only a few cities are known about so far (Akea, Durem, Barton, etc)) and not much of civilization in other parts of the fictional world are known.

All current gaia NPCs and other characters or "themes" that trend in the current official comics of gaia. Additional characters will be purely the discretion of the writer/s, if they see fit to add them for plot-hole-solving purposes. I also expect that the avis of the people working on the comic will make minor appearances within the artwork as low-key people (citizens of gaia), just for respect.

will this be full colored or colored cover with screen tones inside?
(i have a ton of good quality screen tones i can play with)
I am actually completely clueless to the industry term "screen tone", please elaborate.
Hmm, I suppose whether it's full color or not is also purely up to the artists involved, that could change between each mini-series depending on who feels like doing what at the time. I am a fan of colour though, I don't mind how simplistic it is, I think it adds character. (and also minimizes people's ability to rip off the drawing)

if chosen as an artist, will i be responsible for the majority of the art(sketches, lining, and tones?)
If chosen as an artist, it will be down to you and myself working out what we feel like doing between us. All manner of combinations are used in the comic industry. Sometimes one person might do only characters, and another might do backgrounds. Sometimes one person might do all the line-work, and another might do all the colour and/or inking. It really probably will come down to when we decide on a particular part of gaia lore to focus on for our first mini-series, and we work out what seems like a fair amount of work for each person. I will not be slave-driving however, it's not like if you sign up I'm going to be like "okay, now this' what you're doing -I want it in a week", I'll be more like "Okay, this' all the art roughly that needs to be done, what of it are you interested in doing?".

Aside from probably wanting to submit to gaia's "going postal" competition (where they post on the gaia blog) for some recognition on gaia, I hadn't thought about that bit. I upload all my work to photobucket, in locked albums so nobody can see anything on my account, but to the best of my knowledge you can add people that have permission to upload and edit in the album. As for where to post the finished project. Hmm. I may have to get back to you on that. If we get this thing rolling maybe we could have an archive thread linked to this one in the OP that stores all of the pages in it, with table of contents, listing everyone who's ever worked on them, etc.

I don't see any problem with it. I'm a liberal. It's your work, you have right to post it where ever you please, with credits to the others involved, or just specifically outlining what role you played in it.

i plan on starting a serious manga next year, so i have a limited time to work on this. would that be ok?
I think I've probably answered this already. I'm happy for the help as I can get it. You work on this project for as long as you are able and then if you're time is coming to and end we'll try to rap up an individual mini-series you're working on at the time and replace you and continue on other stories.

Regarding link to your gallery..
Your drawing style is exactly what I'm after. It reminds me of VO's from the earlier official gaia comics.

My art.
I recently was gifted a tablet, and have been practicing as much as I can around study. I am already a traditional artist (hobbyist / partial completion of art degree (drop-out)) of many years, just trying to transfer some of those skills to digital drawing and colouring. To little success. But I do use it constantly so who knows. My DeviantART account has some random stuff on it, nowhere near the quantity of art posted on your however. And my Tumblr has more recent tablet stuff, and also WIPs that I don't bother posting on DA. This is probably my proudest work on the tablet, some avi art I did near-a month ago, and my second piece of art using the tablet.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX

My gallery

Infinitely. I will work with the people who sign up with me for whatever term they're willing, and when they resign I will fill the position to continue my escapade.

I"m quite happy for different mini-series to have different 'feels' based on who wants to do what at the time. I guess overall it will feel like high-fantasy just because gaia has dark elves, vampires, humans, animated sign posts, etc, and is set in a world shrouded in much mystery (only a few cities are known about so far (Akea, Durem, Barton, etc)) and not much of civilization in other parts of the fictional world are known.

All current gaia NPCs and other characters or "themes" that trend in the current official comics of gaia. Additional characters will be purely the discretion of the writer/s, if they see fit to add them for plot-hole-solving purposes. I also expect that the avis of the people working on the comic will make minor appearances within the artwork as low-key people (citizens of gaia), just for respect.

I am actually completely clueless to the industry term "screen tone", please elaborate.
Hmm, I suppose whether it's full color or not is also purely up to the artists involved, that could change between each mini-series depending on who feels like doing what at the time. I am a fan of colour though, I don't mind how simplistic it is, I think it adds character. (and also minimizes people's ability to rip off the drawing)

If chosen as an artist, it will be down to you and myself working out what we feel like doing between us. All manner of combinations are used in the comic industry. Sometimes one person might do only characters, and another might do backgrounds. Sometimes one person might do all the line-work, and another might do all the colour and/or inking. It really probably will come down to when we decide on a particular part of gaia lore to focus on for our first mini-series, and we work out what seems like a fair amount of work for each person. I will not be slave-driving however, it's not like if you sign up I'm going to be like "okay, now this' what you're doing -I want it in a week", I'll be more like "Okay, this' all the art roughly that needs to be done, what of it are you interested in doing?".

Aside from probably wanting to submit to gaia's "going postal" competition (where they post on the gaia blog) for some recognition on gaia, I hadn't thought about that bit. I upload all my work to photobucket, in locked albums so nobody can see anything on my account, but to the best of my knowledge you can add people that have permission to upload and edit in the album. As for where to post the finished project. Hmm. I may have to get back to you on that. If we get this thing rolling maybe we could have an archive thread linked to this one in the OP that stores all of the pages in it, with table of contents, listing everyone who's ever worked on them, etc.

I don't see any problem with it. I'm a liberal. It's your work, you have right to post it where ever you please, with credits to the others involved, or just specifically outlining what role you played in it.

I think I've probably answered this already. I'm happy for the help as I can get it. You work on this project for as long as you are able and then if you're time is coming to and end we'll try to rap up an individual mini-series you're working on at the time and replace you and continue on other stories.

Your drawing style is exactly what I'm after. It reminds me of VO's from the earlier official gaia comics.

My art.
I recently was gifted a tablet, and have been practicing as much as I can around study. I am already a traditional artist (hobbyist / partial completion of art degree (drop-out)) of many years, just trying to transfer some of those skills to digital drawing and colouring. To little success. But I do use it constantly so who knows. My DeviantART account has some random stuff on it, nowhere near the quantity of art posted on your however. And my Tumblr has more recent tablet stuff, and also WIPs that I don't bother posting on DA. This is probably my proudest work on the tablet, some avi art I did near-a month ago, and my second piece of art using the tablet.

screen tones are the teeny black and white dots or other shapes working together to make shade or texture. what you see in manga, basically. it'll be a lot faster in tones than color, i'd think. i'll upload a picture i've been toning to give you an idea of my skills in that regard.

if i do sign up, i have to ask you to rethink having the NPCs in this. i think it would too restrictive. besides, if someone wants to read about the NPCs, they can go to gaia's own manga. as a reader, i would want something different. letting the writer make up their own characters and have them interacting in the gaia world would be fun and not restrict expression so much. that's not to say an NPC can't pop in every once in a while, but let's do something different! just my opinion anyways. if we're using already existing characters, i'll have to pass. i just don't feel comfortable using someone else's characters. it's a thing i have. it's why i don't do much fan art either.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
XMegantronX
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX

My gallery

My art.

screen tones are the teeny black and white dots or other shapes working together to make shade or texture. what you see in manga, basically. it'll be a lot faster in tones than color, i'd think. i'll upload a picture i've been toning to give you an idea of my skills in that regard.

if i do sign up, i have to ask you to rethink having the NPCs in this. i think it would too restrictive. besides, if someone wants to read about the NPCs, they can go to gaia's own manga. as a reader, i would want something different. letting the writer make up their own characters and have them interacting in the gaia world would be fun and not restrict expression so much. that's not to say an NPC can't pop in every once in a while, but let's do something different! just my opinion anyways. if we're using already existing characters, i'll have to pass. i just don't feel comfortable using someone else's characters. it's a thing i have. it's why i don't do much fan art either.
I thought that may be what it was. Yes that's probably a good idea for efficiency reasons. Could you tech me how to use them effectively also?

That's a fair enough point. And I wasn't really thinking when I said it, but depending on when and where the stories are set, the NPCs wouldn't be around then anyway. I would like them to pop in from time to time if relevant, just to show context ("this is all happening when this character was here" -sort of thing), but yeah. I think it's important to keep certain themes such as the races, and the general relationship between them, but the writers would need a lot of control over what they can do as you said.

How comfortable are you with tie-ins? Like, new characters that are related to current NPCs, like distant relatives, ancestors, etc? As long as we make them.

I'd hoped that more discussion might have come out of my answers to your questions. I do sort of need to know what you thought about certain things I had to say that you were curious about...

With permission, I might also colour one of your drawings from the "original drawings" folder, just to show you an example of a collab.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX

My gallery

My art.

I thought that may be what it was. Yes that's probably a good idea for efficiency reasons. Could you tech me how to use them effectively also?

That's a fair enough point. And I wasn't really thinking when I said it, but depending on when and where the stories are set, the NPCs wouldn't be around then anyway. I would like them to pop in from time to time if relevant, just to show context ("this is all happening when this character was here" -sort of thing), but yeah. I think it's important to keep certain themes such as the races, and the general relationship between them, but the writers would need a lot of control over what they can do as you said.

How comfortable are you with tie-ins? Like, new characters that are related to current NPCs, like distant relatives, ancestors, etc? As long as we make them.

I'd hoped that more discussion might have come out of my answers to your questions. I do sort of need to know what you thought about certain things I had to say that you were curious about...

With permission, I might also colour one of your drawings from the "original drawings" folder, just to show you an example of a collab.

sure, i can teach you a bit how to tone ^^ or i can just give you the books that i learned from (if we can. i don't know much about file sharing) what program do you use for your art?

oh yeah. the races, gaia places, and even distant relatives of the NPCs would be just fine since the writer could make their personalities as they like to fit the story.

oh XD all the replies you sent before seemed fine with me.

go ahead and help yourself ^^ this one is more recent and would probably be easier to color since it's in png format.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
XMegantronX
sure, i can teach you a bit how to tone ^^ or i can just give you the books that i learned from (if we can. i don't know much about file sharing) what program do you use for your art?

oh yeah. the races, gaia places, and even distant relatives of the NPCs would be just fine since the writer could make their personalities as they like to fit the story.

go ahead and help yourself ^^ this one is more recent and would probably be easier to color since it's in png format.
Thank you. Uhm. If the PDFs aren't that big it may be just as easy to send them via email attachment?

Good answer.

Okay cool that clears a lot up.

I'll do that one as well. I had another one picked out. Maybe I'll try two different methods of colouring. Still trying to work out one I like most.

I use photoshop elements (latest) for drawing. I do have CS3 (illegally), but I use elements (legal) simply because I can work bigger without my computer crashing than I can in CS3 because the program isn't as heavy. I do use CS3 occasionally for minor editing conveniences that elements doesn't have, like 'select colour range', then I'll save it and shift back to elements, etc.

edit. Tell you what. Would you be willing to show me your shading style you're talking about on this drawing, and if we both like what we see when we re-present each other's work, you're hired for as long as you can?

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX

Thank you. Uhm. If the PDFs aren't that big it may be just as easy to send them via email attachment?

Good answer.

Okay cool that clears a lot up.

I'll do that one as well. I had another one picked out. Maybe I'll try two different methods of colouring. Still trying to work out one I like most.

I use photoshop elements (latest) for drawing. I do have CS3 (illegally), but I use elements (legal) simply because I can work bigger without my computer crashing than I can in CS3 because the program isn't as heavy. I do use CS3 occasionally for minor editing conveniences that elements doesn't have, like 'select colour range', then I'll save it and shift back to elements, etc.

edit. Tell you what. Would you be willing to show me your shading style you're talking about on this drawing, and if we both like what we see when we re-present each other's work, you're hired for as long as you can?

it's 535kb i think XD i don't know if an email and take it. you always have the option of downloading it by pressing the "download" button to the right of the picture in my gallery.
well here's the tone work i just now finished. only the second one i've ever done, but i did a lot of research so i kinda know what i'm doing...roughly.

i can tone that, if you want. i'd have to rework the lines, though because they're far too thin for tone. may take a week because my tablet broke. i have a new one on the way, but the one i'm using now is my old one that isn't calibrated and gives super wobbly lines.

would it be better if we got an extra writer and work on more than one separately? i'll be honest instead of dancing around the only issue i have right now. i feel you're inexperienced. this may be a great learning opportunity for you, but if we go in on this together i don't want my gallery to backtrack. i hope i'm not being mean, but i need to either work on the art myself and have you as the director of the operation with a kickass writer, or we can have the writer write for us both and we can do our own art for different stories so they're more consistent. if you don't want to do that, i completely understand and i'm really sorry if i let you down. i'm sure there are tons of other artists looking for an opportunity like this. ><;

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
XMegantronX
it's 535kb i think XD i don't know if an email and take it. you always have the option of downloading it by pressing the "download" button to the right of the picture in my gallery.
well here's the tone work i just now finished. only the second one i've ever done, but i did a lot of research so i kinda know what i'm doing...roughly.

i can tone that, if you want. i'd have to rework the lines, though because they're far too thin for tone. may take a week because my tablet broke. i have a new one on the way, but the one i'm using now is my old one that isn't calibrated and gives super wobbly lines.

would it be better if we got an extra writer and work on more than one separately? i'll be honest instead of dancing around the only issue i have right now. i feel you're inexperienced. this may be a great learning opportunity for you, but if we go in on this together i don't want my gallery to backtrack. i hope i'm not being mean, but i need to either work on the art myself and have you as the director of the operation with a kickass writer, or we can have the writer write for us both and we can do our own art for different stories so they're more consistent. if you don't want to do that, i completely understand and i'm really sorry if i let you down. i'm sure there are tons of other artists looking for an opportunity like this. ><;
That's small enough for email. (talking about the book you learned from, not the art)
That comes up very well. You wouldn't need any additional artists working on that unless you wanted to add pale flat-colours which I'm sure you're more than capable of doing.

Nah it's alright I can see how I need to change my art a bit for the job. I need to practice a bit more.

I appreciate you being upfront.

If I just directed stuff however, I'd still be told in years to come the same thing, too inexperienced to work with.

Maybe, We can make a properly structured thread for this where I can keep track of things, and I can have you go about your way if I can find a good writer that you want to hook up with. And in the meantime I can practice on my own for this application and maybe get feedback from you on my work so I can improve at high efficiency with the advice of someone who has their style sorted out already...

I dunno. Open to suggestions.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX

That's small enough for email. (talking about the book you learned from, not the art)
That comes up very well. You wouldn't need any additional artists working on that unless you wanted to add pale flat-colours which I'm sure you're more than capable of doing.

Nah it's alright I can see how I need to change my art a bit for the job. I need to practice a bit more.

I appreciate you being upfront.

If I just directed stuff however, I'd still be told in years to come the same thing, too inexperienced to work with.

Maybe, We can make a properly structured thread for this where I can keep track of things, and I can have you go about your way if I can find a good writer that you want to hook up with. And in the meantime I can practice on my own for this application and maybe get feedback from you on my work so I can improve at high efficiency with the advice of someone who has their style sorted out already...

I dunno. Open to suggestions.

oh! XD the books are about 151mb per book. i'll give you feedback any time you need it. i guess for now i'll do my own thing with a writer (if i can find one) lol. or just write my own stuff. i have a few ideas in mind. thanks anyways and good luck ^^ let me know your email if you want these books.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
XMegantronX
oh! XD the books are about 151mb per book. i'll give you feedback any time you need it. i guess for now i'll do my own thing with a writer (if i can find one) lol. or just write my own stuff. i have a few ideas in mind. thanks anyways and good luck ^^ let me know your email if you want these books.
Jeebuz! That's big for an email attachment. I mean I'll take it if it'll work, but I doubt it will. Highly doubt. My email I will PM to thou.

Yeah I understand. I wish you well also.

Thanks. I'll, probably work on my strengths at the moment. I'll try hand-drawing and inking and doing the rest digitally. I'll Add you so I can easily PM you with stuff if I ever want some advice?

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX
Jeebuz! That's big for an email attachment. I mean I'll take it if it'll work, but I doubt it will. Highly doubt. My email I will PM to thou.

Yeah I understand. I wish you well also.

Thanks. I'll, probably work on my strengths at the moment. I'll try hand-drawing and inking and doing the rest digitally. I'll Add you so I can easily PM you with stuff if I ever want some advice?

yeaaaah, i tested it and mine won't accept. but i have an alternative i'll tell you about in a pm.
sounds good!

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
This does sound interesting....however I am not sure if I want to join (I am a writer).

What is the plot of the story? Gaia already has it's ''save the world'' types so it probably wouldn't be a good idea for that.

Maybe just an adventure one?

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Snowblazer
This does sound interesting....however I am not sure if I want to join (I am a writer).

What is the plot of the story? Gaia already has it's ''save the world'' types so it probably wouldn't be a good idea for that.

What is the plot of the story?

I've given all the info I have so far. I leave the writing to the writers. I'm suggesting areas to work on, and doing art.
For example, you don't know a great deal about gaia's dark elves, because they haven't really delved into lore to heavily, so say you don't want to use gaia's NPCs and you make your own characters within that race to tell a story of culture from a time before when 'gaia is set'.
Or you might want to go into how one of the cities were founded, or if there were ancient cities that don't get used now due to natural disaster etc.
Just really whatever you think would make an interesting story.

As I said to another user a few posts above you, the genre doesn't worry me. And it also doesn't worry me if each writer that signs on wants to do a different style for each little story we decide we want to cover.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff