Welcome to Gaia! ::

Influenced by Star Wars, Dune, Tintin and Robotech.

ALMOST FINISHED CHAPTER 4. Part 1 consists of 5 chapters. I would appreciate any feedback or discussion.

EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE - ONLINE COMIC

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
I don't think this is really "influenced" by Star Wars. It's more like a Star Wars fancomic. You got Tatooine in the first chapter, a character that looks like General Greivous, and elements of the Death Star in the fourth chapter.

I also hate to say this, but I can't really get past how ugly these characters are.

Aged Codger

Yeah it doesn't seem like it's influneced, it seems like outright plagerism.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Vadintin
To Annie and Kupocake

I learnt a long time ago to take little notice of people that have only hateful things to say.

I have received a huge amount of positive feedback from my fans.

What I will say is that if you do your research you will find that George Lucas took many of his ideas straight from other sources such as Dune. Every creative person is influenced by many sources.

Edge of the Universe has been influenced by many things, not just Star Wars - if you can tell me what some of those other influences are then I will regard you as having some knowledge, please don't say Dune, Robotech or Tintin as those have already been mentioned.

If you wish to regard Edge of the Universe as a fancomic, go for it but it doesn't make much sense.
Influences are unavoidable; every piece of work out there has its inspirations and touchstones. With that said, these are no longer influences, they're straight up copies. As I stated before, the first chapter takes place on a planet that looks like Tatooine, not only because it's a "desert planet," but in addition, you have buildings and architecture that strongly resemble that of Tatooine's. And let's not get into how those flying hovercrafts look like half of a Star Wars pod racer, shall we? Influence =/= stealing.

I'm glad your fans enjoy your comic, but I can't say the same thing. The artwork is unappealing, off-proportion, and distorted in anatomy with a weak knowledge in perspective and color theory. The characters are predictable, and the dialogue is cliche, barely different from your typical B-Rated Sci-Fi film. And I'm not saying this because I'm "hateful," I barely know you. I'm simply stating this as my personal observations. If you're blind to your comic's faults, you aren't going to improve and your webcomic is going to suffer.

Aged Codger

It's criticism. This is a critique forum. If you don't like it, don't ask for it. I'm not being hateful, I'm being honest. And in all honesty, you're being immature and spiteful despite the formal wording of your sentences.

And yeah I know that a lot of Star Wars was directly ripped from the old Flash Gordon movies (down to the scene cuts), but all I see in your comic is the beginning of A New Hope. If that's your intent and you're trying to do parody then that's cool. I don't get a big parody vibe though (it needs more gags), so that's why it seems like plagerism.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Let's be honest, you want do not want feedback, but promotion. And thus, Gaia was so generous and made you a Promotion forum.
Enjoy. heart
Vadintin
Why do critics get so upset when someone challenges them? Do they want to be able to criticise without a comeback? It doesn't happen in the real world so why should it happen online.

The fact is that I completely disagree with the plagerism argument and I will stick to my opinion whether you like it or not.

If you cannot understand the difference between influence and plagerism then stop being a critic.

question, are your fans big star wars fans? They may only be reading your work to get that mimiced high they got off star wars, and are you afraid that if you do something different they won't be your fans anymore?
the art needs a lot of work, there is nothing in there aesthetically pleasing to me and within the first few pages I can see what people are talking about
if a completely impartial person is looking at this and seeing errors your target audience would find obvious don't you think you should listen?

The fact that you're posting in a critique forum means you should be willing to accept criticism from critics, no matter how professional they may be. take everything they say with a grain of salt, but don't throw out everything they say as everything they critique on has to have an element of truth in there somewhere

stop being so immature, I'd be ashamed to consider myself your fan watching you being unable to take a hit to your false pride and then feeling like you need to lash out because someone who isn't COPYING others ideas is trying to get their comic off the ground. it makes you look like a twit.

good day.

Aged Codger

Vadintin
Why do critics get so upset when someone challenges them? Do they want to be able to criticise without a comeback? It doesn't happen in the real world so why should it happen online.

The fact is that I completely disagree with the plagerism argument and I will stick to my opinion whether you like it or not.

If you cannot understand the difference between influence and plagerism then stop being a critic.

Because we're not here to kiss your a**, we are here to critique you. When you respond to said critiques with rude or immature behavior we automatically dismiss you as a selfish kid. Because hey, that's how you're acting.

So if you want people to tell you how great your comic is, go elsewhere. Don't post here. And don't criticize us because we're using the forum for what it is meant for.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Vadintin
To Kupocake

Clearly you think your opinion should be important to me. Well, I just went to your Deviantart link and noticed something you said.

You stated, "What should I do to get this webcomic off the ground? Should I post pages on SmackJeeves first or get my own website? Because I feel like SJ has a fantastic community, and considering I'm a pretty unknown artist, it might be the best place to build up a base."

Interesting. So, I tell you what...

I wish you the best of luck in getting your webcomic off the ground and leaving behind your unknown artist status.

Until then, I'm sorry but I won't be taking your "personal observations" very seriously.

In the meantime I will continue doing what I love and producing more material for my ever-increasing fanbase who love what I do.
So, basically you won't listen to what I have to say because I'm not popular enough for you? I don't think I can comment on how shallow you're coming off as, not to mention that you're doing yourself a disservice to your future readers with that attitude.

Word of advice: you don't need to be a chef to know the soup tastes bad. Or in this case, you don't need to have a celebrity chef tell you that your dish sucks and you're acting childish.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Vadintin
To Kupocake

Clearly you think your opinion should be important to me. Well, I just went to your Deviantart link and noticed something you said.

You stated, "What should I do to get this webcomic off the ground? Should I post pages on SmackJeeves first or get my own website? Because I feel like SJ has a fantastic community, and considering I'm a pretty unknown artist, it might be the best place to build up a base."

I wish you the best of luck in getting your webcomic off the ground and leaving behind your unknown artist status.

Until then, I'm sorry but I won't be taking your "personal observations" very seriously.

In the meantime I will continue doing what I love and producing more material for my ever-increasing fanbase who love what I do.

You're not going to get very far if you only value those opinions that you care to listen to. Networking with your peers(and yes, PEERS. Because you? Are a pretty unknown artist too) is important.

Though I suppose you'll just try to find something to try to make a personal jab at me too.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Vadintin
To Kupocake

By that logic, you shouldn't trust the opinion of anyone who likes your comic unless they're a famous successful comic book artist. >_>'

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff