Welcome to Gaia! ::

Party Partier

I want to draw a comic and I have SO many ideas for comics, but I've never drawn any of them, even though I really want to.

The main reason for that is because I don't really know how to draw a comic page out, and I've looked at a few references for it but they always focus on stupid things that apply to OUTSIDE drawing comics not JUST comics.. (like how to draw motion, how to color, anatomy etc.. etc..) While thats useful it's not really helpful on how to decide or draw the layout of a comic page.

Are there any good reference material for the layout, that someone can send me links to ?
Making Comics and Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud is a good place to start.

Dapper Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
anna_cracker
Making Comics and Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud is a good place to start.

YES!
I think I love you right now.

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
anna_cracker

this is good. will eisner also put out a whole slew of how-tos: comics and sequential art, graphic storytelling and visual narrative, and expressive anatomy for comics and narrative.

aside from that, you should also pull out the comics you love best, and study the scenes in them. why does this picture work? would other set-ups work as well to convey the message? that sort of thing.

Blessed Regular

This website helped me out a lot! Some nice tips for making comics.
anna_cracker

Marry me? emotion_kirakira

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Oh, well... I think we're done here...

OP, at the end of the day... I think it's best that you just get started, whether you're ready or not. Even if you screw up, you'll have done something.

If you don't like it, you can just redo it later. I mean, it's not like you're publishing it, right?

I mean, yeah, by all means read up on it, you'll perfect your craft that way. But book smarts mean jack squat unless you're drawing. Eventually you'll get the hang of pacing, positioning, etc.

It's like any other medium. Writing a novel, or jokes, or playing music... eventually you'll get the right sense of timing and comfort with the core concepts that you'll be able to hit the audience just right, so they become entirely engrossed in whatever it is you're doing.

But you've got to crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run, and run before you can fly. So you might as well start somewhere.

And totally buy those Scott McCloud books.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff