Welcome to Gaia! ::

mar-u

So u all think TokyoPop and DarkHorse are currently the best publishers to go to?

They are certainly the top 2 i am trying for.
M. Alice
Oh and in future reference, I'm prolly not going to be a big help for anything else, but if you've got TOKYOPOP-related questions or are thinking of submitting them, I'm here to help, yo. 3nodding

*always looks weird when you write tokyopop in all caps, like you're shouting...and yet, that's the way it's actually spelt...*

Yes, I have a Q~~

when u submit to their web site ur offical pages for publishing, do you submit at 600 dpi jpg??? Or tiff? Or psd will do?
DaftPunk
I'd actualy like to do comics, but, problem #1, i cant draw people facing to the right. I can draw forward, down, up, and left. but damned if I can draw something facing ot the right. Its just something I need to work on, but I dont because Im alwayse distracted. Also, I can draw some " neat" ideas, but I can never realy draw the same thing/person twice. As in, a new position, but the same exact features and structure.. again something I need to work on. But I feel if I won the lottery, I would invest in the few comic artists Ive had the pleasure of meeting online, present company included, and then use the rest of the money to give myself time without a job, to study up more and practice more without having to worry about all the other things in life.

That's only the matter of practice buddy. Are you right handed? It's natural that it would be harder to draw the character facing the opposite side of the palm of your hands... I am not sure of the reason, but that happens to me and almost everyone else. Practice can conquer it.
mayshing
M. Alice
Oh and in future reference, I'm prolly not going to be a big help for anything else, but if you've got TOKYOPOP-related questions or are thinking of submitting them, I'm here to help, yo. 3nodding

*always looks weird when you write tokyopop in all caps, like you're shouting...and yet, that's the way it's actually spelt...*

Yes, I have a Q~~

when u submit to their web site ur offical pages for publishing, do you submit at 600 dpi jpg??? Or tiff? Or psd will do?

I hope someone would answer this Q.... O_O
Other than that.... domokun domokun domokun
I am just gonna guess and say tiff or psd because saving as a jpeg leaves a lot of cluttered data and lots of pixelation due to the fact that its a compressed form. Least that what happens to my work :/
So now I make sure my line art stayes psd or tiff :3
I love making comics! writings stories and drawing are what I love to do, and the best thing i can do. I want to make it money making...I don't think i fit in in manga style but as far as "american" styled....I don't know. I just am...odd, i tells stories that interest me, like sci-fi, and humor..LOVE, the thoughts make me tingle with possiblities.
I started drawing comics ever since I was 12. They weren't any good though. I didn't start to get into drawing comics until grade 10, and I showed my work to a lot of people who, funny enough, loved the comic I did. They constantly told me to submit it to Dark Horse, but I was a bit paranoid of them stealing the story(Yeha right like that would happen. It's a stupid story now that I look at it), or they'd reject it.
Anyway the comic I have now can be seen on my site that's included below. The site actually sucks so I'm trying to move it. Most, if not all, love the comic though. At least people I've shown it to.
I'd love to draw comics for one of the big guns, DC or Marvel.
If anyone wants to join the mangakas/webcomics guild I just opened one.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pt=1089610146&p=145795028#145795028
*waves hand jumping up and down* I wanna be in the comic business!! crying but i fear i'm not quiet skilled enough yet... thats deffinately up liftig to hear that the comic bussiness is getting more popular... O_o guess i better start working and practicing more

Dapper Witch

Wow, I didn't know how many people were into making comics. eek

Anyhoo, I'm attending MCAD in the fall, and I'm quite nervous about it. Here's the story behind this. I went to a summer thing they had in 2003, and I didn't feel that I was as good as some people who were attending.

But it really helped me with some techniques, and I've really grown as an artist, but I'm still quite nervous. sweatdrop And I don't know if I'm going into comic art or animation. . .very nerve wrecking. *sigh*

Oh well, come what may, I suppose. surprised

I'm currently working of a comic for my friend. He wrote this story, and I decided to make it into a comic for a present for him. So, pray for me that turns out okay. =3

~*Cal
Grr..so many other people are trying to publish their mangas too! >.<

Now I feel like I have no chance...T____T

I mean...it's not that i'm not confident in my skill...but someone always has to lose..and I doubt i'd get my life's dreams accomplished so early in my life.. sweatdrop Hopefully I can get myself into Japan after college and turn myself into the ultimate mangaka..o.o
Here's a really interesting article about the literary possibilities of the graphic novel form in the New York Times. It has some great interviews with Alan Moore and Marjane Sartrapi, among others.

(Requires registration, but I believe it's free.)
man It's true mine is a little of both
mayshing

Every other company I know of, submission of the pages for print are in uncompressed tiff. The CAN be compressed, it obviously saves space and thus time when storing and transferring them, but usually the printers prefer uncompressed because it saves time in opening each file, or somesuch. I'm no expert, I just recall at least Brenner printers caring enough to actually put that in their preparatory information brochure. But then, if you're talking saved as pure black and white line art/bitmap, then it's not going to take up as much space as if it were saved grayscale, or CMYK.

I'm guessing Tokyopop is no different. It's a printer thing, not a publisher thing.

You may put your pages up somewhere online as jpg, but if you ever intend for that page to see print (especially if you've done bunches of color work or tweaks or whatnot) you should ALWAYS have a full-sized print worthy tiff of it somewhere before you rez it down for the web.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff