Welcome to Gaia! ::

In order to put down all the scenes and idea's of a comic, so that it will flow evenly, what would be the best format to write it in? I've been having trouble with mine sounding like a story not a comic. I was somewhat confused as to whether to post this in the comic forum or writing, so if it's in the wrong forum I apologize and will find a way to move it as quickly as I can.

Business Borg

11,075 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I've found it easiest to to use a sort of mock script format.

Example:

Panel 1, Page 1: Joan is at 31 flavors ice-cream parlor. The area is crowded with people and Joan is struggling to look at the flavors. Her expression is mixed between annoyance and pain from being pushed back.

Joan: (thought bubble) Why's everyone so pushy today?!

Random customer: Hey, watch it!

Panel 2, Page 1: Joan has finally pushed through the crowd only to find empty containers of ice cream in the refridgeration unit. She looks shocked and angry.

Joan: WHAT?! Where's the ice-cream?!

Panel 3, Page 1: etc etc etc

End Example.

This can help give a general idea of the surroundings, the emotions in the panel, and the main dialogue from each character within the panel. Of course, other things can be added along to help identify what's important in the scene. Things are also easier to manipulate and edit if you want to change things.

My script also tends to be more that of a novel, rather than an outline of a comic. Which is why I always storyboard, both picture wise and text wise (if storyboarding via text didn't exist, it does now).

See, what you *could* do is what Omittchiwai suggested, or just keep it in a novel like format and storyboard it using scenes.

For example:

Scene 1: Area: Some hallway - Time: Tuesday night

-Sweeping the floor "X" pauses, looks up and becomes lost in thought of the night before.

Scene 1.1: Area: Some dining place - Time: Flashback

-Maria: This food is delicious!
-Guy: Yeah it is, I'm glad you like it. At least it's worth the money....
-Both continue to enjoy their meal, all the while stealing glances at one another, yet shyly looking away each time their eyes meet.

etc...

You could also type up short descriptions of the places the scene is taking place in, so you can get a better idea of the surroundings for when you actually start to draw.

I'd say it's not a much different method from what the person above suggested; it's just a bit more detailed. This is what I do after I've completed the novel like script, and after that I storyboard it using pictures.

I'll arrange my scripts like this:

Page 1.
Bird's eye view at skewed angle, of hospital. Late Fall. Snowfall just beginning. Early evening, with city lights beginning to be turned on.

Long view of waiting room. People milling. Skewed angle, for tension.

Lisa and Maria. Backview of Lisa, hunched over and sobbing into a tissue, as Maria looks at her, with a worried expression.
Lisa: "I just...I don't what I'll do if...if...."

Profile view. Maria leans in and grabs Lisa's hand insistently. Lisa looks up in suprise.
Maria: "Don't talk like that! It's not over! It's not!"

Closeup of Maria, expression softening.
Maria: "The doctors say that there's still a chance he'll pull through."

Closeup of Lisa. She bites her lip, with tears still welling in her eyes and she nods.
Lisa: "Mm....Mm-hmm."

Maria and Lisa hug in the lighted background. In the foreground, around the darkened corner, Mister X watches them, shown as a silhouette where the light hits him. Ooh...ominous.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff