Welcome to Gaia! ::

As I'm starting to finish up with the inks for the first chapter of my webcomic, I'm trying to figure out how I should go about toning the comic. The time it takes to do color (3-4 hours) differs a lot with the b&w and monocromatic (1 hour). Does the color really add much?

All critique on the comic style, coloring, paneling, etc is welcome.

color
monocromatic
black and white

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
i would save the time and go with the black and white or mono. it's detailed enough in the tones and lines that it doesn't require color. however, it's always an added treat to see the first page or 2 of a comic in color. ^^
The color definitely is pretty to look at. Like you said, why not just do the first few pages of the chapters in color?
Because when I compared the three, while the color was absolutely lovely, I didn't miss out on any details or anything when looking at the mono or even the black and white.
Something about me prefers a 'comic' to be in black and white though anyways. (this is totally a personal preference thing though.)

Good luck with it! You've got something really spectacular there, I can't wait to see what else is in the works.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I like the monochromatic one.
XMegantronX
i would save the time and go with the black and white or mono. it's detailed enough in the tones and lines that it doesn't require color. however, it's always an added treat to see the first page or 2 of a comic in color. ^^

Thanks so much for the feedback. I guess when it comes to using color and then switching to b&w, I'm afraid of having viewers fall off when they realize it isn't a full color comic. Perhaps if I do that I should make the prologue b&w and then add color pages during the first chapter?
kittiko
The color definitely is pretty to look at. Like you said, why not just do the first few pages of the chapters in color?
Because when I compared the three, while the color was absolutely lovely, I didn't miss out on any details or anything when looking at the mono or even the black and white.
Something about me prefers a 'comic' to be in black and white though anyways. (this is totally a personal preference thing though.)

Good luck with it! You've got something really spectacular there, I can't wait to see what else is in the works.

I like b&w comics as well, as long as I like the art style anything goes for me as a reader.
Thanks for your help! I think I might focus the time I save doing b&w on the chapter cover paintings. That way I can give the viewer colored eye candy and still finish up pages faster.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
anna_cracker
XMegantronX

Thanks so much for the feedback. I guess when it comes to using color and then switching to b&w, I'm afraid of having viewers fall off when they realize it isn't a full color comic. Perhaps if I do that I should make the prologue b&w and then add color pages during the first chapter?

sounds good to me ^^

people stop reading because not every page is colored!? that's not right...
XMegantronX
anna_cracker
XMegantronX

sounds good to me ^^

That might just be an unfounded fear, and one I probably shouldn't listen to. What's most important is that I tell this story and have tons of fun doing it, while balancing it practically. If b&w pages will help me get pages out, it might be well worth it.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
anna_cracker
XMegantronX
anna_cracker
XMegantronX

sounds good to me ^^

That might just be an unfounded fear, and one I probably shouldn't listen to. What's most important is that I tell this story and have tons of fun doing it, while balancing it practically. If b&w pages will help me get pages out, it might be well worth it.

True true. I think you'll be better off b&w

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces