Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mr McGrumpypants
Still, they just moved his stuff without saying anything, lied to him about reimbursing him for the inconvenience, then banned him from the convention.

It doesn't matter how much you don't like him, he was ******** by that convention. You could call it karma, but then this might be happening to other people.
Mm, that's one side of it. He just comes off as such an a*****e that you can't help but wonder if there's more to it.

Seriously, if it was anyone else then I'd be saying 'poor guy', but if you intentionally project this persona of being a d**k then you're going to get people wondering.
You know what? I really, really like the White Stripes. Been listening to a lot of their stuff lately.
Nah a certain number of them become real fans Zee Zee my man. You just haven't realized the truism that there is no such thing as bad publicity when your on your way up.
Great news germany! The allies have recaptured france from my axis and are intensifying bombing runs. This is providing the axis with a ton of free publicity, not to mention: thanks for the free bombs, suckers!

Even better, the soviet union has joined the allied forces and is attacking us on the eastern front. Idiots, that'll just make more sympathizers in the soviet union defect to our ranks after they see how immature their leaders really are, so thanks a lot Stalin, doing my job for me right there.
Zee why did you edit your post? Are you afraid to let people see what a jerk you were being to me?
Speaking of Cons, is anyone going to hit up the UK Webcomix Thing in March? I have a table, but I've basically done nothing for it yet.
Ebert_Coredor
Great news germany! The allies have recaptured france from my axis and are intensifying bombing runs. This is providing the axis with a ton of free publicity, not to mention: thanks for the free bombs, suckers!

Even better, the soviet union has joined the allied forces and is attacking us on the eastern front. Idiots, that'll just make more sympathizers in the soviet union defect to our ranks after they see how immature their leaders really are, so thanks a lot Stalin, doing my job for me right there.

In Soviet Russia Morning Squirtz reads you.
KomiyanZaibach
Speaking of Cons, is anyone going to hit up the UK Webcomix Thing in March? I have a table, but I've basically done nothing for it yet.

I wanna go, but you know how it is. I think I might make it in 2011, though!
Zee Coldwater
KomiyanZaibach

I wanna go, but you know how it is. I think I might make it in 2011, though!
It's a cool day out if you live nearby. Gunnerkrigg court has a table, perhaps I will embarrass myself with stuttering as much as I do at the Scary Go Round table!

I had a look at the table plan and Kate Beaton is going too, I'm sure it will be a circus of mild embarrassment for me :3
Awesome we maybe there to it will be our first international excursion. I can't wait to see you all face to face.
Hammered out 2010's con schedule.

Wondercon - April 2-4 My first time at this con. I'll be sharing a table with Randy Milholland, the Something Positive guy. I love his a**. He's ornery.

MoCCA - April 10-11 - People complained a LOT about the venue for MoCCA 2009, but to be totally honest, I thought it was a great show. Sold a ton of books, registered for 2010 right there at the show in cash with 2009 profits. Got a "Ha ha, woah!" from the administrator. biggrin

But frankly, MoCCA tables are high-demand and hard to get, and now that I've got one, I'm never letting go.

I stayed with Gary Tyrell (main blogger for Fleen) over in Jersey in '09, but I plan on trying to crash with someone in the city for '10. I got in some sightseeing and general New-York-ness, but not enough. You literally can't get a bagel and lox in Chicago. People don't know what lox is. In NYC, a friend got me one so good I almost saw through time.

C2E2 - April 16-18 I've never done this show, because it never existed before 2010. This will be the debut event. I scored a spot at Indy Island, which I'll be sharing with Frank and Becky of Tiny Kitten Teeth. It was a $500 dollar table, so split down the middle, that's $250 apiece. I'm squirrelly about paying even THAT much for an unproven con, especially one run by the company responsible for the "New York Anime Fest" disasterpiece. But it's local, so with no hotel and airfare, I can take a risk.

Stumptown - April 24-25 I was a guest at Stumptown last year, where I won three Stumptown Awards (Best Writer, Best Webcomic, Best Art) ang hogged the stage like mad to win the cartoonist vs. cartoonist art fight (with a drawing of a hobo army, BTW.) I sell bunches at Stump, and a lot of friends will be there, so you can bet I'm going.

TCAF - May 8-9 Toronto Comics Art Festival. My first time there, my first international con. You have to be vetted to get a table; I got in. (Some of my friends, truly fantastic and talented people, got wait-listed. :/) Guess I need to get a passport.

ACEN - May 14-16 Anime Central. Yes, I know, anime show, LOL WUT. But I do 4 figures net here easy. It's local, it's well-run, it's friendly, and the organizers are pitbulls about supporting Artist's Alley. The rest of the con literally closes an hour BEFORE A.A., forcing the kids to come look at our stuff. And although I didn't know it last year, this thing's become a pretty big deal.

If you're going, word of advice: That pudgy dude in the spot-on Nabeshin cosplay? That's not cosplay. That's really Nabeshin.

I've begun referring to the Wondercon-to-ACEN spread as "Cannonball Run." I'll be doing six cons in seven weeks. Let's hope my liver doesn't fall out.

SDCC - July 22-25 I was vetted for a table here, too: A $350.00 Small Press one. Hooray for approval from strangers. $350.00 for an SDCC table is a rock-bottom bargain.

Not much left to say about SDCC. It's Nerd Prom. If you don't know about it, and you want to go even serious hobbyist or semi-pro in comics, You should probably clue yourself in.

APE - October 16-17 Alternative Press Expo. Did this show for the first time last year. My placement was crappy, but I still did well and loved the show. The best part was probably the before-party at Last Gasp's offices. Imagine working in a place filled with taxidermy two-headed calves, original Crumb, Woodring and Robert Williams paintings hanging from the walls, genuine sideshow banners everywhere, a piano, WWII ordinance on the shelves... it was incredible. (Hors d'œuvres were pretty damn incredible, too.)

SPX - ??? Small Press Expo. No idea when it'll be in 2010, but I'm going. Always the best show of the year, never have to worry about not selling out.

Windy City -??? Tiny, tiny, new con in Chicago. A one-day con, probably doesn't have info up yet because I think there was some noise about the con wanting to move venues. I do this one with friends.

NEWW -??? New England Webcomics Weekend. basically The Monster of Webcomics holding a get-together in Easthampton, Massachusetts. Can't buy a table, here; you have to be invited. Hope I'll get an invite this year; last year, I had a table and sold out in 3 hours.

I'll consider jamming one more con in that line-up, but I haven't decided which one. NYCC? ECCC? Conneticon?
Way to make our crappy British con seem even crappier, Spike wink You'd better bring us back some good stories!
I heard only bad things about Connecticon... I'd say come to Fallcon again but if all goes well I won't be there!

I'm still trying to figure out whether I'll be able to afford Stumptown and SDCC, but if I go to either, it'll be the latter. Definitely up for C2E2, plan on registering with my next paycheck.
Hey Spike - I can only do one west coast con in 2010; which would you say is better, Stumptown or APE?
iianbe
Hey Spike - I can only do one west coast con in 2010; which would you say is better, Stumptown or APE?

APE - Notorious for a mildly stingy crowd. You'll sell, but not as much as you'll expect to, given the size of the venue and the density of the fans. But the networking is golden. This is where I got my distribution deal with Last Gasp, and got my distro with Big Kahuna finally ironed out. Also, lots of shop talk.

Stumptown - Friendly, fun, and a little more granola than APE. Know what I mean? Everything here is a little less slick and professional. Lots of crafters, minicomics, and student work to be had. The sales are actually on-par with APE's, but easier to take, because they're what you expect.

And KomiyanZaibach, I would love to go to the UK Webcomix Thing, or even that big to-do in France, Angoulême. But cons are business for me, I don't do any shows just for fun. Airfare to France alone would probably wipe out a significant chunk of my profit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff