Welcome to Gaia! ::

Remind me not to be around you during flu season.

Also, I refuse to make tired internet jokes just to appeal to people on the interHNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH!

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Mr McGrumpypants
Scared? Of a vaccine? Seriously? That's like being scared of cold medicine.

I think the source to blame is some guest on Oprah (she's got a pretty long record of quack medicine guest speakers...), but for whatever reason, a large number of people seem completely and utterly convinced that vaccines will render their child autistic or kill them...

One of my classmates knows a kid who isn't vaccinated for polio and all the other diseases that US schools require all students be vaccinated for. (He can only be home-schooled due to this)

Wealthy Tycoon

6,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
For never having gotten a flu shot, I really dont get sick that often. And I haven't had the flu since I was 12.

4 people were out from my work for swine flu, and I was fine. (Those people also were freaks about wiping their desks down with those lysol wipes. The universe laughed at them)

Im vaccinated for all the stuff, I need to be. Why should I get a flu shot if I never get the flu?
When I hear crap like that, with parents not getting their kid vaccinated, a tiny, angry-at-the-stupids part of my brain wishes a rare disease prevented by vaccination upon them and their child.

On a unrelated topic, I saw Law Abiding Citizen. ILU GERARD!
I feel no sympathy for the people who lose their children because they refuse to get them easily available medicine. Some people are too poor to buy vaccines and the like. I can get that. But I'll never understand the paranoia that people feel in thinking the government is constantly trying to kill them.

I only feel sorry for the children for having such dumb sons of bitches for parents. May God have mercy on their souls.

Eloquent Explorer

Oooh, vaccinations is a good one. There was always such DRAMA over them when I was at school, amongst the girls that is. Some got better as they got older but there were always the few that had the floods of tears, hysterics, even sort of temper tantrums as they refused to have the injection. ._. It's a needle. A thin, slightly painful needle that goes into your skin and then comes out again. I wasn't the most sympathetic towards the girls who got all worked up, and as a result I was accused of being insensitive. rolleyes Pardon me for not being a milksop.

And that's to say nothing of the huge amounts of controversy over vaccinations and their supposed horrible complications, like the new cervical cancer jab, which was on the front page of the newspaper the Sunday before last. One girl died and they were suddenly calling it "potentially as bad as the cancer it was designed to prevent", which is just ridiculous. I heard that they later deemed her death unrelated, anyway. And don't even get me started on the mercury-in-injections-causes-autism conspiracy theory which is ridiculous, insulting (since it implies that children with autism are like a toxic dumping ground) and hugely scientifically incorrect. It's been thoroughly disproven several times by reputable experts and yet indignant parents are still banging on about how it's a big government cover-up and trying to win compensation for it in court. A lot of them gather beneath YouTube videos and shake their fists and wave their little virtual pickets over the commenting system. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of them seem to be from the camp that stigmatises autism and holds to the archaic belief that there is a 'normal' child 'underneath' the autism, and that somehow it can be cured (they probably think the government is withholding a cure) and they'll get their little darling who never existed back. You can probably tell that it bugs me a lot. stressed

But back on topic... maybe you could question people about their opinion on specific vaccine controversies, Kaxen, or ask if they ever worry about potential complications? Do they think there's more to vaccinations than the Powers That Be are letting on? Should we try and come up with a better way of preventing diseases than vaccination? Or do they think (to the other extreme) that vaccines could eventually protect against just about any malady that you might care to name? Maybe ask if they think there should be a minimum age for vaccines because it's too risky to deliberately expose a baby to an illness, even if it's a small dose? (I don't know what the figures indicate about that one, though). And what about fears related to the spread of things like HIV via needles? (Though I should think those are pretty much unfounded unless there are some terrible places that don't sterilise needles at all between patients).

Those are just random ideas. You might not like any of them. xD

Edit: Also, to my knowledge, I've never had the flu. 8D *is proud*
I just have a little bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer to carry around in my backpack, to use after touching the desks / doorknobs in the big lecture halls.

I've never gotten the flu shot either, but I think I will this year. I've already had one cold this semester, and I keep feeling like I'm coming down with another. sad

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I got that cervical cancer preventing vaccine. >_> Small risk for not getting nasty s**t down there...

Hmm. Good idea for trying to figure out which one people are freaked out the most by.
Mr McGrumpypants
I feel no sympathy for the people who lose their children because they refuse to get them easily available medicine. Some people are too poor to buy vaccines and the like. I can get that. But I'll never understand the paranoia that people feel in thinking the government is constantly trying to kill them.

I only feel sorry for the children for having such dumb sons of bitches for parents. May God have mercy on their souls.

Don't forget science. Science is also out to kill us, those godless scientists. rolleyes
I'll take godless heathens over religious fanatics any day of the week. Hard to believe I once wanted to be a priest. Insert Catholic molestation joke here.
I'd rather have neither. Psychotic religious zealots and crazy dumbasses who try to run around and do whatever the hell they want to fall into the same category of assholery to me.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
FurryMink
Don't forget science. Science is also out to kill us, those godless scientists. rolleyes

Science is always evil; Luddites are always right. rolleyes

>_> Actually, there's tons of fiction plots on non-tech being better than technology...

Which bother me.

Then again, I'm also the person who gets all worked up every time she sees a girl who wants to live in the Renaissance...

SCREW THE PAST! I NEEDS AIR CONDITIONING!
People(most of them) don't realize how easy they have it. :/ Oh God, how I love you, mp3 player...

On the other hand, I could see how technological advances, on a certain level, may spiral horrifically out of control, but that's a fine line between that and "LET'S GET RID OF ALL TECHNOLOGY!!111!1"

Right. And let's go back to the old days, where you're married at 13 and dead by 30. And where so many women died giving birth. And slavery. Let's institutionalize that again.

Yep, in those days, life was sooo much more enjoyable.

Punch those girls in the face for me, Kaxen.
More specifically, Falcon Punch them.
woot, 94 on the lab practical! Minus the curve it'd be 80. I'll take that. I looked at some of the questions and just went "bwuh?"

Over 150 people failed. God, lazy college students.
I hate it when people come to class and then just talk or hammer away at their cell phones / laptops. Pay attention or GTFO. I'm not paying big tuition $$ to listen to people brag about how drunk they got or how they narrowly avoided another underage consumption. scream

Guh. This next exam is not gonna be pretty.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff