Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Pretty much.

...I wish I had more time to peruse fandomwank.
On the subject of usernames, I'd just as quickly report RAPEISFUN or ILUFFTENTACLERAEP as I'd report HappyHitler.

They're offensive. I find it interesting that Gaia is so lax about nameuse. So if someone had the name CumKitten that might be taken off but HappyHitler is okay? Personally I think offensive names should just get the boot in general. Yes, I know it's a can of worms, but I don't see how Gaia would endorse any of those names.
The worst part is the lame tautological protests that she's coming back with to try to justify her blatant attempt at a sort of childish shock-jock offensiveness.
KomiyanZaibach
Psycho Bunny Studio

I posted my opinion on there already, but frankly I don't have a problem with it. For 2 main reasons.

The first one is that I can understand why Germany did what it did, and how Hitler got in power and did what he did. Frankly it wasn't just him but because he was head of the movement everyone treats him like he was evil incarnate which frankly just isn't true. We can't even begin to point fingers at the amount of people figures in history have killed and the genocides that have occured over time to say his was the worst, he is souly to blame. I think the hisotry should be remembered so it's never repeated (although in 1992 it was and no ones made much of a stink about it... stare ) but not to the point that we have to freak out every time Hitler or Nazies are mentioned in a sentence that doesn't end with "they were evil"

The second reason is while I'm sure her reasoning for this isn't as well thought out as my reason for supporting her freedom to be a d**k, if I harshed on everyone I thought was doing something stupid we'd have mandatory sterilization and a lot of people would be put down which would make me no better than those nazies. Everyone is stupid, we all have our dumb Bias that someone might find offensive we've either got to ignore everyones stupidity, or flip out over everything dumb which would make for a very bland world.
So because everyone's stupid we just have to let stupidity slide? How do you expect people to get smarter then? :/

I don't.

Thing is everyone is stupid, and no matter how hard I try people just keep being stupid and all trying to "un-stupify" people does is stress me out and make me want to choke things. I'm going to do my part by trying to be not stupid myself, but what can I do in the face of stupid really? Educate people? Well considering people gave HappyHitler the benifit of the doubt and tried to educate her we see how well that turned out.
Yell at them for being stupid? Yea because giving them a persecution troll complex helps.
Beat them up so they are unable to spread their stupid? How does that make me any better.

Plus it's all a matter of opinion. You may think they're dumb but trust me they think you're just as dumb. So who's right? The majority? Well if the Bush Era is any indication there's more of them than us. Stupid tends to be a mesurement for "Anything *I* don't agree with" which isn't that in and of itself stupid?

You have to let it slide because there's nothing that can be done about it, and frankly I'd rather just ignore it and keep my blood pressure down.

EDIT: Unless it's against the TOS and then I CAN do something about it. Then I'm on that like white on rice. But if there's nothing I can do, well, nothing I can do.

Quote:
And for your posts in the other topic..
Psycho Bunny Studio

The problem with this is that Hitler was during that time a very common German name, in fact there are probably people still named Hitler and it's sad that none of them can ever obtain a level of fame without changing their name, demanding a name change because you assosicate something bad with it is like demanding my name be changed because it has the word "Psycho" in it which is insulting to ... yanno I don't even know a PC term for crazy folk.

As well, should Obama change his name because of Saddam?
This isn't the poster's actual surname (I'm pretty willing to bet!). If Obama's name was different but he was posting on Gaia as Happy Hussian the Snazzy Murderous Warlord I'm willing to bet people wouldn't be happy with it either, as it is it's just a part of his actual legal name..

But still, it's more of a "Why should someone have to change their name just because it offends you?" Sure she's pushing it wth the "Snazzy Nazi" (I never saw that) but is it much different than people that have nazi characters or symbols in their sigs?

a*****e are everywhere.
I think I'll be letting people walk around calling themselves "Hitler" as a joke around the time Hitler and the other Nazi high-ups come back from the dead to personally resurrect and apologise to the 70+ million people that fell in WW2.

We can throw Mussolini and Hirohito in there too, 'cuz why not? Maybe Chamberlain, too.

EDIT: I think most Americans don't get this. Europe -- especially Germany -- was still recovering from WW2 in the 50s. The Americans got to go home to their families. We got to go home to clear rubble and dig graves. It is a big ******** deal.

Put it this way: if she was trivialising something more recent, like the Rwanda genocide or the I/P conflict, would you let it slide so easily?
Sayterra
On the subject of usernames, I'd just as quickly report RAPEISFUN or ILUFFTENTACLERAEP as I'd report HappyHitler.

They're offensive. I find it interesting that Gaia is so lax about nameuse. So if someone had the name CumKitten that might be taken off but HappyHitler is okay? Personally I think offensive names should just get the boot in general. Yes, I know it's a can of worms, but I don't see how Gaia would endorse any of those names.

Probably because it's too much of a can of worms. Sexual things are easy to target because that's a singular set of words that you can ban. But people names? POLITICAL people names? Where do you draw the line? Hitler okay, Stalin? Yea sure, Franklin Roosevelt? Napoleon well....
Should we then just go "No historical names?" We're going to have to kill a lot of names on here. Then whats next? No offensive words? Well then I'm in the loop of being cut myself.

Gaia tends to take a case by case reporting basis and then it always depends on which MOD you get and how many people b***h about it.
Notably, there are naming restrictions in Germany that are pretty stringent- You can't name a child Hitler as their first name, as it's not on the approved name lists. it is quite literally illegal to name your child 'Hitler' in Germany. Here's a source on that.

http://blog.beliebte-vornamen.de/2008/12/darf-ein-kind-adolf-hitler-heisen/#more-383

And the translation..
Quote:

It's not allowed to be harmful to the child, subject the child to teasing, or have a connection with negatively viewed individuals, such as Judas or Cain.

Not to mention that Hitler is not an acceptable first name, the child's well being would be endangered and thus it would not be submittable on any official documentation

The first name Adolf is not illegal in germany, however it's very rare. In a list of children's names in 2008 Adolf and Adolph only appear once each, and this as middle names.

Anyone with the family name Hitler has long since changed the name or died.

So I don't think we need to be worrying about actual people with the real surname Hitler and their feelings being hurt.
Tovarish Groznaya
I think I'll be letting people walk around calling themselves "Hitler" as a joke around the time Hitler and the other Nazi high-ups come back from the dead to personally resurrect and apologise to the 70+ million people that fell in WW2.

We can throw Mussolini and Hirohito in there too, 'cuz why not? Maybe Chamberlain, too.

EDIT: I think most Americans don't get this. Europe -- especially Germany -- was still recovering from WW2 in the 50s. The Americans got to go home to their families. We got to go home to clear rubble and dig graves. It is a big ******** deal.

Put it this way: if she was trivialising something more recent, like the Rwanda genocide or the I/P conflict, would you let it slide so easily?

Sadly I've seen those names and have seen people trivializing them as well so...
anywho, gonna go play WoW now
Psycho Bunny Studio
Sayterra

Probably because it's too much of a can of worms. Sexual things are easy to target because that's a singular set of words that you can ban. But people names? POLITICAL people names? Where do you draw the line? Hitler okay, Stalin? Yea sure, Franklin Roosevelt? Napoleon well....
Should we then just go "No historical names?" We're going to have to kill a lot of names on here. Then whats next? No offensive words? Well then I'm in the loop of being cut myself.

Gaia tends to take a case by case reporting basis and then it always depends on which MOD you get and how many people b***h about it.

I did not bring this up but I'm sure as hell going to respond to it.

first. Technically the Gaia TOS state say that offensive material is not okay. But yes, they go on a case by case basis. Fine. It's pretty obvious this is turning into a giant mess though.

I would also like to note that most of the people you're arguing with here aren't American. I'm sure not. In fact, I was born in Germany, and my grandparents fought in the war. In a lot of ways, europe is STILL cleaning up the mess from WWII, and we're still a bit sensitive about it on both sides. I wouldn't be thrilled with SnappyStalin either.

I'm offended. Komiyan's offended. Tovarish is offended. Sayterra is offended, and Leslie seems to be offended as well. And that's just the last page of posts. This is not okay.
Sense vs Sensibility
Psycho Bunny Studio
Sayterra

I did not bring this up but I'm sure as hell going to respond to it.

first. Technically the Gaia TOS state say that offensive material is not okay. But yes, they go on a case by case basis. Fine. It's pretty obvious this is turning into a giant mess though.

I would also like to note that most of the people you're arguing with here aren't American. I'm sure not. In fact, I was born in Germany, and my grandparents fought in the war. In a lot of ways, europe is STILL cleaning up the mess from WWII, and we're still a bit sensitive about it on both sides. I wouldn't be thrilled with SnappyStalin either.

I'm offended. Komiyan's offended. Tovarish is offended. Sayterra is offended, and Leslie seems to be offended as well. And that's just the last page of posts. This is not okay.

Hitler isn't just a name. If it was, we'd have scads of Hitlers out there. That isn't the case. I know it's hard for younger folks to grasp, but there are still folks alive (my mother included) that survived the atrocities of what Hitler did during WWII. Saying "oh but it wasn't just him!" is like saying, "Well it wasn't just Osama Bin Laden... he's just the leader, there are others!" Yes, yes there are. And after WWII, any Nazi Officials were promptly tried and hung for WAR CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY. This isn't a case of "we need a scapegoat" and very much "We know who began and instigated this..." Unfortunately, Hitler commited suicide before we could get to him.

I am first born/first generation American in my family. Part of the reason my mother moved from Holland was to get away from the past because it was haunting her. I grew up to bedtime stories of how she ran from the bombs at night, how father was at school when the Japanese bombed. These aren't old wounds.

My mother has PTS from the war, and if there's a history channel special on, or if I happen to be taking her out to the Outlet Mall and she HEARS the WWII planes flying overhead (we have an aviation museum) it will literally send her into an episode.

If someone came into these forums with the name DappyDarfur or MerryMengele, I would be just as enraged as I am over the name HappyHitler. The only people that will ever have the right to make fun of Hitler are those that have been directly affected by what happened. That's why "That Mitchell and Webb Look" scene about the Nazis is funny. They endured the blitz. Humor becomes cathartic for them. For some teenager that thinks Hitler is kawaiishinydesu ^_^ or I can be EDGY in my humor? No. A thousand times no.

You can never get me to believe that someone that names themselves HappyHitler isn't trying to instigate a fight. I can only imagine what would happen if they had that on a nametag or shirt and started walking around Europe with it.
KomiyanZaibach
The first name Adolf is not illegal in germany, however it's very rare. In a list of children's names in 2008 Adolf and Adolph only appear once each, and this as middle names.

My great--great grandfather was named "Adolf". I have a German-language Bible with his name on it. I understand that he died before the war, which was probably a good thing, all things considered.
Psycho Bunny Studio
a*****e are everywhere.

Yes, but why shouldn't people be able to point out when they're being assholes? Even to just say "That's offensive" or "That's not funny" can help change someone's outlook on something just a little, I don't think there's reason to stop it. It might not be an immediate reversal or opinion, but if they're intelligent enough it gives them something to think about.
Psycho Bunny Studio
Sadly I've seen those names and have seen people trivializing them as well so...

So, seeing ignorance you say nothing and keep your head down and just keep doing whatever it is you were doing?

How do you expect people to know when something is wrong, if nobody tells them it is?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff