Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
zaMmaP
Oh man , the site that used to host my old old webcomics like died/is gone. I'll have to dig through my old CDs for my old stuff. All I have for now are these compare images I did recently that aren't as cringworthy as some of the other stuff

User Image

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j15/zammap/art/BTS05_zps7287b7aa.png
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j15/zammap/art/BTS06_zps06d36606.png
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j15/zammap/art/BTS07_zps8bc47c14.png
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j15/zammap/art/BTS08_zpsd362ba32.png
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j15/zammap/art/BTS10_zps6a7d1d94.png
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j15/zammap/art/BTS11_zps5e653178.png
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j15/zammap/art/BTS04_zpsb45f48e6.png

The Hiveworks artist make a decent amount of money on adsales and some have been published (I've seen them in comic book shops!). The owner himself has no other job but taking his cut and supporting the artist. He also moves around A LOT and to different states. He offered my friend to live with him but she can't handle the idea of the treat of having to move within a year (most he's been at a place is like 6 months. Doesn't own furniture, than again I'm sure you'd be rich too if your didn't own furniture.)

Getting your comic there is pretty sweet deal. The most I can hope for with cosmology is getting $100 after one YEAR. But they recently got bought by amazon so hopfully they will add some features that will help artist (and buyers) out a little, like print on demand?

yeah if I were doing this for the money I woulda never picked comics XD well I should say cheesy enough comics picked me redface for me, I really would like to be published by image or darkhorse since those are publishers I deeply respect (I think my best luck is with image tho)
but I was considering trying comixology as well. I didn't know they got bought by amazon O_O

that's pretty cool I think (can be, sad for the little guy tho) id imagine thatd help boost advertisement for books published and sold through either company name. the blurring the pages is smart, im assuming you do it for the work (since you cant pre lease id imagine) but can get a glimpse of the art? the story sounds funny XD and you can see your artwork improving

the site that hosted you, is that your personal site? or was it a nother? o.o I have much to learn, so believe me, ill take an interest, theres never a bad discussion about comics and the process to me. I eat it up with a spoon X3 <3 so I find this very exciting. pbbt I barely own furniture <3 I get by with what I need, im not worried about social norms. but I bet hes barely got furniture since the moving costs would be a pain in the butte every time.
as for the hiveworks, do they have all types of genres? or mostly family friendly/comedies? (I briefly looked at their page) I find a lot of web comics run in the lighter nature XP which is not my stuff at all

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
Goddess Rukus
Static Sludge
Thanks for the advice. :3 We actually have had a lot of in-depth discussions about that sort of thing, how to blend our styles (in both writing and drawing) and it's a challenge but we're figuring it out. And yes, that picture that I linked was inked by me and colored by my partner.

Scanners can be annoying if they aren't the right size or they eat the color when you scan (both problems I've run into) but we figured out the right kind of paper to use to get the best quality out of my scanner. It just took a lot of experimenting.

I'm happy you like the picture of Allen (the hand-standing guy)!

I work, but not in a typical nine-to-five setting. I'm a writer first and foremost.

It's cool to see we have a lot of similar influences. Naoki Urasawa was really influential politically from what I've heard, but I haven't actually read 20th Century Boys or his other stuff. I'll keep your list in mind for when I need more reading material.
---
Also, hello rest of the thread!

yeah the partnerships can be tricky, ive only mostly worked with my sister and we fought all the time . 3. I mean, when we did work well together it was a mazing, but she doesn't wanna do comics as a living, so that was the biggest rift. make sure youre both commited! (:

right now I use an Epson it scans up to 11 x 17 and can print much bigger <3 I use Bristol paper for any artwork with comic pages on t hem since it supports the ink. but it really is all about experimenting, textured paper can look beast too.

*poof*
Kyousouka
Static Sludge
im not sure what hiveworks is? D: tbh ive only recently started exploring online options .-. up until 9 months ago or so I didn't have a comp for 5 years XD hahahaha *cackles maniacally*

Hiveworks is a webcomic collective. They choose comics that they think have potential and help them with things like hosting and advertising. They have a form you can fill out to apply, so you don't have to be invited. They look for people who can maintain a high level of professionalism in both their comic's quality and in their behaviour (update consistently, not be a d**k, etc).

I never applied for it because I don't see how I'd personally benefit from them. Maybe I should ask ._.

Edit: A serial is an ongoing comic for which the total number of issues/chapters is not known at the start, the creators are either working with a very loose outline or don't know how exactly the story will go. Serials often, but not always, go on as long as they're viable, sometimes at the expense of the original story. The others (a graphic novel, a set of issues, a limited series) are typically pre-planned from the beginning and the total length is known before the first chapter is out.

Hiveworks is actually an online publisher run by a CEO and everything~ But they def. help artists out by hosting their websites, paying them, selling their books... Pretty sweet deal.

Shadowy Phantom

Pipitsu
Kyousouka
Static Sludge
im not sure what hiveworks is? D: tbh ive only recently started exploring online options .-. up until 9 months ago or so I didn't have a comp for 5 years XD hahahaha *cackles maniacally*

Hiveworks is a webcomic collective. They choose comics that they think have potential and help them with things like hosting and advertising. They have a form you can fill out to apply, so you don't have to be invited. They look for people who can maintain a high level of professionalism in both their comic's quality and in their behaviour (update consistently, not be a d**k, etc).

I never applied for it because I don't see how I'd personally benefit from them. Maybe I should ask ._.

Edit: A serial is an ongoing comic for which the total number of issues/chapters is not known at the start, the creators are either working with a very loose outline or don't know how exactly the story will go. Serials often, but not always, go on as long as they're viable, sometimes at the expense of the original story. The others (a graphic novel, a set of issues, a limited series) are typically pre-planned from the beginning and the total length is known before the first chapter is out.

Hiveworks is actually an online publisher run by a CEO and everything~ But they def. help artists out by hosting their websites, paying them, selling their books... Pretty sweet deal.

Their site describes them as a collective. There's no reason that a collective can't/shouldn't have a central authority and run as a business xP
Kyousouka
Pipitsu
Kyousouka
Static Sludge

Their site describes them as a collective. There's no reason that a collective can't/shouldn't have a central authority and run as a business xP

I have a comic through them actually. So while the website says collective, it's absolutely a publisher and is run like one. It originated as a more nebulous entity, maybe that's where the confusion comes in.

Shadowy Phantom

Pipitsu
I have a comic through them actually. So while the website says collective, it's absolutely a publisher and is run like one. It originated as a more nebulous entity, maybe that's where the confusion comes in.

I see, thank you! That saves me the trouble of sending them an application just to see what they do.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
gah, struggling with which sample pages to turn in. each portion of the comic ive been working on gives a good idea of what the story is about/its direction. only issue is, im having a hard time figuring out which pages to select.

>:I bleh! any suggestions on how to select? also whats everyone up to lately?
the Comic Creators alley seems to be moving a bit faster lately

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
oTL I hate fonts. I still haven't solved my lettering woes because I can't find a font I like and is easily readable.

And the watercolor paper I draw my comic on drags my calligraphy pen like crazy and I can't write neatly with anything besides my calligraphy pen.

Shadowy Phantom

Static Sludge
gah, struggling with which sample pages to turn in. each portion of the comic ive been working on gives a good idea of what the story is about/its direction. only issue is, im having a hard time figuring out which pages to select.

"Turn in" where?
If it's to show to a publisher or agent: Choose a single scene or two show consecutive scenes that show what you can do as an artist and a writer, and submit those pages. Your goal isn't to sell the plot with the pages, but your skills as a creator of sequential art, which is why it's important to submit sequential pages. Your logline should sell the plot.

Kaxen

I could never find a premade font that fit my stuff either, even among pay ones. Make one?

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kyousouka
Static Sludge

"Turn in" where?
If it's to show to a publisher or agent: Choose a single scene or two show consecutive scenes that show what you can do as an artist and a writer, and submit those pages. Your goal isn't to sell the plot with the pages, but your skills as a creator of sequential art, which is why it's important to submit sequential pages. Your logline should sell the plot.

Kaxen

I could never find a premade font that fit my stuff either, even among pay ones. Make one?

yes, for a publisher .-.
that's not necessarily true either, although sequential art is meant to show how you present the visual representation of your story, since this is my own original work I also have to intrigue them. its not like im submitting my work to only try for being an artist. that's not my goal.
even if theyd take my for being a well enough artist and not based off my story, I myself wouldn't be okay with that.
and yes... I know you are to select the scene you best feel depicts what you want to get across. what im stating is that im having difficulty choosing a scene that does that, each portion of the book is good for different reasons. I get that the synopsis is the main example of the story, doesn't mean your story shouldn't be clear (if even for atmosphere and element) in the pages you choose to send. that is what I am struggling with.

as for my other question, what have you been up to lately? or anyone for that matter.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Kyousouka
Kaxen

I could learn to make a font, but I don't even know what I want my font to look like.

User Image

I don't really know what sort of matches with scuffy looking watercoloring. And I have repeatedly crap taste in fonts... I'm not sure if I liked any of the ones I slapped on.

my god my test doodle is sloppy... burning_eyes

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kaxen
oTL I hate fonts. I still haven't solved my lettering woes because I can't find a font I like and is easily readable.

And the watercolor paper I draw my comic on drags my calligraphy pen like crazy and I can't write neatly with anything besides my calligraphy pen.

although it may be a bit time consuming...
why not try doing the hand lettering on a separate piece of paper and then scan it in separately to insert?

I've had the same problem with a comic I did with watercolors, I ended up using pens instead, but you're right, it doesn't show up near as well as a calligraphy pen nor did it blend well with my watercolor/artwork </3

otherwise maybe try what kyousouka mentioned. if you do and you find a good program to customize your fonts , do share ^^

EDIT: I find the 2nd and 3rd look the best. idk what site your on, but on blambot you might want to try looking under handwritten fonts. I could see a cursive looking nice o.o

Shadowy Phantom

Kaxen
Kyousouka
Kaxen

I could learn to make a font, but I don't even know what I want my font to look like.

User Image

I don't really know what sort of matches with scuffy looking watercoloring. And I have repeatedly crap taste in fonts... I'm not sure if I liked any of the ones I slapped on.

my god my test doodle is sloppy... burning_eyes

I think you should aim for something like the top right one, but with rounder, lighter letter forms (not so tight) to help legibility. Also, see how that font looks like in all caps. It seems like all caps might fit your style better, although that also depends on the tone of the story.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
User Image

It looks like this in all-caps.

The story is gay Beauty and the Beast. It's not humor, but it's not really that serious.

...though it has more political intrigue than is usually present in Beauty and the Beast stories. I couldn't just let lie locking up a prince without a succession issue.

Nerd

Kaxen

Pardon for the interruption, but you could try playing around with http://www.myscriptfont.com/
it's a super simple way of turning hand-written lettering into fonts, which might come in handy for you matching to your watercolour?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff