Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Phantom

JeiZoe
aaaaah so many people here ; c ;
aaah, um!!!!!! i have a webcomic in the works rn, kinda, so...would anyone like to talk maybe?;;;;

About what? Talking is what this thread is for, but it's up to those who want to participate to provide a topic if there isn't one being discussed already.

Shadowy Phantom

It's been a while so I hope no one minds me double-posting.

Did page 1 of my comic, would love some feedback before I move on to page 2. In particular, ahaha stylisation ._. I am fairly sure I will redraw the character art, once I figure out how to stylise without losing the characters' features, which are on the subtle side.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kyousouka

Did page 1 of my comic, would love some feedback before I move on to page 2. In particular, ahaha stylisation ._. I am fairly sure I will redraw the character art, once I figure out how to stylise without losing the characters' features, which are on the subtle side.

wow I think its beautiful! my only suggestion might be to darken his shadow to give him a more solid stance and increase the water highlights (for the higher levels to emphasize more depth)

but really even without those I really like what you've done ^^ might ask what its about? or do you want to reveal that with them pages O 3O im curious derp

Shadowy Phantom

Static Sludge
Kyousouka

wow I think its beautiful! my only suggestion might be to darken his shadow to give him a more solid stance and increase the water highlights (for the higher levels to emphasize more depth)

but really even without those I really like what you've done ^^ might ask what its about? or do you want to reveal that with them pages O 3O im curious derp

Thank you!

I will add a bit more ambient occlusion-ish shadow near his feet to ground him a little more, like I did with the rocks. I'd rather not do much more than that because the lighting here is very diffuse, so darker/sharper shadows would be weird.

I'd rather not add more noise or contrast to the water. I scrapped a more realistic version of it because it was too distracting with all its detail. If anything, I should probably be simplifying it, but hurrdurrstylisationishard.

The story is about going to pretty places and dealing with fantasy things ;D Beyond that, I hope to let the pages tell the story. The comic is quite literally about the journey(s) rather than the rewards, and there's a new place to see in every chapter.
Kyousouka

It's looking pretty good, but I think the colors are a bit everywhere. The scenery is very heavily blue/cool dominated, but the character has a lot of red/warm tones and shading. He feels out of place because there's not much blue reflecting onto him (whether it's ambient lighting or just in the shading). Also, I think the waterfalls could do with a bit of shading just to show depth where it falls. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work again smile

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kyousouka
Static Sludge
Kyousouka

Thank you!

I will add a bit more ambient occlusion-ish shadow near his feet to ground him a little more, like I did with the rocks. I'd rather not do much more than that because the lighting here is very diffuse, so darker/sharper shadows would be weird.

I'd rather not add more noise or contrast to the water. I scrapped a more realistic version of it because it was too distracting with all its detail. If anything, I should probably be simplifying it, but hurrdurrstylisationishard.

The story is about going to pretty places and dealing with fantasy things ;D Beyond that, I hope to let the pages tell the story. The comic is quite literally about the journey(s) rather than the rewards, and there's a new place to see in every chapter.

cool cool cool (like snow get it ha..haaaa) but no XD really, so you like writing fantasy things? Id have considered the other two stories of yours dramas O 3O I love stylization <3 its really fun to play around with exaggeration/simplification of people and the world

Shadowy Phantom

Emihaumut
Kyousouka

It's looking pretty good, but I think the colors are a bit everywhere. The scenery is very heavily blue/cool dominated, but the character has a lot of red/warm tones and shading. He feels out of place because there's not much blue reflecting onto him (whether it's ambient lighting or just in the shading). Also, I think the waterfalls could do with a bit of shading just to show depth where it falls. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work again smile

Thanks! I forgot to do my usual thing with the colours because I got so distracted with style issues and just left the "true" colours without painting over them with ambient ones. When I redo the character art I will change the colours. I'll go make a note on it right now so I don't forget.
And I'll go add some depth to the water, thanks for that tip <3

Static Sludge
cool cool cool (like snow get it ha..haaaa) but no XD really, so you like writing fantasy things? Id have considered the other two stories of yours dramas O 3O I love stylization <3 its really fun to play around with exaggeration/simplification of people and the world

I don't consider drama and fantasy mutually exclusive xP Fantasy is a category of settings/worlds, drama is a (very broad) type of story. I like fantasy settings (or rather, the visual freedom they allow), so I set lots of different stories in them. And of course, I also write some stories that aren't in fantasy settings, but not many.
When you refer to my comics, it would help if you used their titles ("Senka") or acronyms ("BD") or some descriptor ("that cannibal thing"). I've done more than a few comics and I have no idea what's linked where and who has read what so I have no idea what anyone's referring to when they talk about "my comic(s)". Sorry!

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
oh from your pages ive only come across Senka and BD (didn't know you had more) XD sorry
yeah i see what you mean, i only say drama or fantasy if it seems one takes more of a lead the other(s)

for that same reason you like fantasy i like sci fi XD <3 and im curious, when you refer to stylizing your art, is there a specific artist your taking inspiration from?
also if your having trouble with making them all in a set style , it helps to do character sheets and draw the items (i.e if rocks were drawn a certain way n what nots) on seperate pages before you do it on the comic pages.

my default drawing is semi-realistic, so when i draw for my styalized comic (one i keep mentioning) at first i struggled with drawing them too realistically. so its good to draw up some guidelines on whats too much detail or how things should silhouette xd

Shadowy Phantom

Static Sludge
oh from your pages ive only come across Senka and BD (didn't know you had more) XD sorry
yeah i see what you mean, i only say drama or fantasy if it seems one takes more of a lead the other(s)

for that same reason you like fantasy i like sci fi XD <3 and im curious, when you refer to stylizing your art, is there a specific artist your taking inspiration from?
also if your having trouble with making them all in a set style , it helps to do character sheets and draw the items (i.e if rocks were drawn a certain way n what nots) on seperate pages before you do it on the comic pages.

my default drawing is semi-realistic, so when i draw for my styalized comic (one i keep mentioning) at first i struggled with drawing them too realistically. so its good to draw up some guidelines on whats too much detail or how things should silhouette xd

I don't have an artist whose style I'd like to draw more like, or a concrete goal, which is why I'm having this much trouble to begin with xP
So, instead of just drawing the characters over and over in slightly different ways in an attempt to blunder into something I like.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kyousouka
Static Sludge

I don't have an artist whose style I'd like to draw more like, or a concrete goal, which is why I'm having this much trouble to begin with xP
So, instead of just drawing the characters over and over in slightly different ways in an attempt to blunder into something I like.

do you mean you are going to draw till you find one you like??

im not sure if I read that right. what worked for me was figuring out what features I like on people (to start with) and going a little further. i.e : I love bigger hands and slightly longer torsos vs legs. (and typically with styalized art you get to do ALLL different body types) so itll really just be a lot of playing around O 3O wish you luck!

Shadowy Phantom

Static Sludge
Kyousouka

im not sure if I read that right. what worked for me was figuring out what features I like on people (to start with) and going a little further. i.e : I love bigger hands and slightly longer torsos vs legs. (and typically with styalized art you get to do ALLL different body types) so itll really just be a lot of playing around O 3O wish you luck!

My problem's rather different, sorry. I know exactly what my characters look like as "real" people, but I do not want to draw my comic in a realistic style because that's boring, doesn't fit the writing style, and isn't as legible as something more stylised. I am trying to find a way of drawing the characters that distils their features into something less realistic but still recognizable as those characters, but at the same time fits the tone of the story.
I can draw really cartoony-looking people with all kinds of body shapes, and I can do somewhat less cartoony stuff, and I can do more realistic stuff too. The problem is in translating a set of realistic, subtle realistic features into something stylised without losing what makes those characters feel like those characters.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kyousouka
Static Sludge
Kyousouka

My problem's rather different, sorry. I know exactly what my characters look like as "real" people, but I do not want to draw my comic in a realistic style because that's boring, doesn't fit the writing style, and isn't as legible as something more stylised. I am trying to find a way of drawing the characters that distils their features into something less realistic but still recognizable as those characters, but at the same time fits the tone of the story.
I can draw really cartoony-looking people with all kinds of body shapes, and I can do somewhat less cartoony stuff, and I can do more realistic stuff too. The problem is in translating a set of realistic, subtle realistic features into something stylised without losing what makes those characters feel like those characters.

ahhh that is different. id suggest starting smaller tthen .. like if one of your characters were to have a slightly bigger than and an upturned nose,(realistically) to exaggerate that just a little bit more than you normally would when you draw in another style.

try breaking up the features(and body language) that are the make up of your characters, and just exaggerate that little more.

for me every story I write has a different drawing style attached, but when going from one to another they have a tendancy to be a little more realistic then normal (if im going from my default which is semi realistic to a more styalized illustration) but I eventually just draw that realisticness out of it and it finds its own feet. I believe youll have success, itll just take a little bit of transitioning ^^

Shadowy Phantom

Static Sludge
ahhh that is different. id suggest starting smaller tthen .. like if one of your characters were to have a slightly bigger than and an upturned nose,(realistically) to exaggerate that just a little bit more than you normally would when you draw in another style.

try breaking up the features(and body language) that are the make up of your characters, and just exaggerate that little more.

for me every story I write has a different drawing style attached, but when going from one to another they have a tendancy to be a little more realistic then normal (if im going from my default which is semi realistic to a more styalized illustration) but I eventually just draw that realisticness out of it and it finds its own feet. I believe youll have success, itll just take a little bit of transitioning ^^

Everyone (including me) says "exaggerate" like it's easy xP

After doing some studies and sketching and looking at more successful art I did in the past, I found a solution that seems to work weirdly effectively: use the techniques and tools I used four years ago >A>; Fortunately that's not a step back in art since I have better skills now to back up said tools and techniques, but it feels a little shameful that 1. going back to something my dumb self used works, 2. that I abandoned something that works.
Ah well, it works so I should just be happy. I'll practice this stuff for a few more daus (so my hands remember how to draw instead of my brain having to work) and then work on redoing that comic page.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
Kyousouka
Static Sludge

Everyone (including me) says "exaggerate" like it's easy xP

After doing some studies and sketching and looking at more successful art I did in the past, I found a solution that seems to work weirdly effectively: use the techniques and tools I used four years ago >A>; Fortunately that's not a step back in art since I have better skills now to back up said tools and techniques, but it feels a little shameful that 1. going back to something my dumb self used works, 2. that I abandoned something that works.
Ah well, it works so I should just be happy. I'll practice this stuff for a few more daus (so my hands remember how to draw instead of my brain having to work) and then work on redoing that comic page.

well you know saying is always so much easier than doing specially for altering your drawing style D: tt just cus your old self did something different shouldn't invalidate it O 3O just take it and up date it ;D if it works, why not?

Lonely Cat

10,650 Points
  • ReAnimated 50
  • Blob's To You 100
  • Megathread 100
oh man so many people here o m o ...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers