Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Zorya
It is slow as ever, so you can check on this forum every year and you will be updated fast.

I don't even bother to post much when it is always same thing posted around here and rather draw and write my own projects.

What's up with that? When I first decided to read/post in the art/comics forum it was a pretty decent forum. Lots of questions and topics and every now and then the big ego person who threw a fit and was fun to watch. Now it's so dead.

Is it just the art forums or the whole site? Are newer members too busy playing the games and think the forums is just a small place where you can gather info? Did they forget that this site is based on the forums and just talking?

Shadowy Phantom

zaMmaP
The Zorya
It is slow as ever, so you can check on this forum every year and you will be updated fast.

I don't even bother to post much when it is always same thing posted around here and rather draw and write my own projects.

What's up with that? When I first decided to read/post in the art/comics forum it was a pretty decent forum. Lots of questions and topics and every now and then the big ego person who threw a fit and was fun to watch. Now it's so dead.

Is it just the art forums or the whole site? Are newer members too busy playing the games and think the forums is just a small place where you can gather info? Did they forget that this site is based on the forums and just talking?

Yeah, I think that's a big part of it. Gaia has been pushing the games/world/events aspect in its advertising, since those are the things that they make money from most directly.

There's been a quality/on-topicness drop in all the subforums I've checked, but only CC has also become so quiet. I suspect that's because CC was quiet to begin with, and because there's nothing here left to attract people who could contribute well to it because a lot of the older members who provide the best feedback have moved on.

I no longer post new threads/questions here because I don't have any hope of getting a response worth reading. Instead, I just post what I hope is helpful advice in other people's thread, though 90% of the time I am sure they'll just ignore it or whine about how putting effort into things is too hard. I post for the 10% chance that it'll actually help.
It just makes me sad, this was one of my favorite forums on the whole internet. Even though I have been a member for ten years I didn't figure to go into here until I finished highschool and I needed some serious talk topics while I worked on real world art jobs. I learned more from this forum than I did in college (not that I expected to learn much anyways, I just want the piece of paper that says I can draw).

I thought 4chan could replace it but it's missing something that gaia had. Either it's too much like PP or just trolls. Not really a place for comics. Strangly the cartoon/comic forum has an OC thread every now and then that is more open to the topic.

Tipsy Phantom

6,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
It's really irritating that this forum is so slow and that most of the people are just drawing "manga". And the little bits of people who aren't are almost all doing stuff in that weird webcomics style. Do you know what I mean? I'm also just tremendously put off by how stiff most digital art looks.

My boyfriend and I just started publishing a few different comics and that's been super lucrative. It's been a few months and, especially this month, was so good. It's nice to see people who want to buy physical issues of comics instead of just reading it online. I'm also not fond of comics hosting sites like SmackJeeves because it seems silly to be giving them ad revenue that you could have if you had your own site. I also don't understand how people can gain any readership there. I dunno. I guess if you're a beginner and you want to feel like a part of a community it's okay?

My partner and I were actually thinking of starting a kickstarter because we each planning out full-color hard cover books which gets pretty pricey. Once we get our ideas developed and started though it might happen.
This forum has always been mainly composed of teenagers making (or trying to make) mangas. And the only people who do get around to making a complete comic are the webcomics.

Just now it's super slow and the discussion is gone.

Tipsy Phantom

6,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
zaMmaP
This forum has always been mainly composed of teenagers making (or trying to make) mangas. And the only people who do get around to making a complete comic are the webcomics.

Yeah I used to be around here a bit more a while back before I found a publisher. Very little has changed but it definitely moves slower than it used to.

I wish I didn't have a weird hatred of webcomics.

Shadowy Phantom

panty sniff
zaMmaP

Yeah I used to be around here a bit more a while back before I found a publisher. Very little has changed but it definitely moves slower than it used to.

I'm curious, what do you mean by "webcomics"? And what about webcomics do you dislike? Is it the styles prevalent in certain genres, or the update pace, or something else?
Kyousouka
panty sniff
zaMmaP

I'm curious, what do you mean by "webcomics"? And what about webcomics do you dislike? Is it the styles prevalent in certain genres, or the update pace, or something else?

She means like:
panty sniff

small handful of people who aren't 13 year old kids drawing manga but their s**t sucks too and they think they're better than everybody.

Insert two paragraphs about me me me and my hand drawn comics and my publisher and my cons and my life and me me me me

Everyone should make/distribute comics my way because this is the way that works for me so it must be the only way it can work.

Shadowy Phantom

zaMmaP
Kyousouka
panty sniff
zaMmaP

She means like:
panty sniff

small handful of people who aren't 13 year old kids drawing manga but their s**t sucks too and they think they're better than everybody.

Insert two paragraphs about me me me and my hand drawn comics and my publisher and my cons and my life and me me me me

Everyone should make/distribute comics my way because this is the way that works for me so it must be the only way it can work.

Hahah, thanks. I was afraid it might be that.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
zaMmaP
Kyousouka
panty sniff
zaMmaP

She means like:
panty sniff

I don't think I'm better than anybody. And people should make/distribute comics however works best for them. I only do webcomics because that's what works for me. emotion_8c

Never submitted a thing to a publisher in my life, either. I never think anything is good enough. I yearn for the day when that's true, but for now, I just draw because I like telling stories and I hope someone likes them enough to share them with friends.

Only problem is, sometimes I really hate drawing and I have so many ideas and I can't do them all at once, ugh. I wish there were like five of me.
Xiam

Only problem is, sometimes I really hate drawing and I have so many ideas and I can't do them all at once, ugh. I wish there were like five of me.

I'm trying out the babysteps/snow ball effect. Doing the easiest story/project first. Get practice and experience from that. Something I can manage. If it does well it will create a snowball effect where the next project will get more attention.

Tipsy Phantom

6,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Kyousouka
panty sniff
zaMmaP

I guess I just really don't like the styles. I just haven't found very many webcomics whose style I was really interested in but I also don't try hard enough to look around so I may be judging too harshly. I also really dont like a lot of the comics hosting sites. However, I'm always very interested to see what people are doing out there regardless of style.

I found something that works for me and I would just like to try and help at least one person.

Shadowy Phantom

panty sniff
Kyousouka
panty sniff
zaMmaP

I guess I just really don't like the styles. I just haven't found very many webcomics whose style I was really interested in but I also don't try hard enough to look around so I may be judging too harshly. I also really dont like a lot of the comics hosting sites. However, I'm always very interested to see what people are doing out there regardless of style.

I found something that works for me and I would just like to try and help at least one person.

Have you ever looked specifically for long-form webcomics? Those are usually the online equivalent of narrative comics, rather than strips. They come in a huge variety of styles and types of stories. But, just as with print comics, you do have to put some work into finding ones you like, especially if you're as picky about the writing as you are about the drawing style (I am).

Tipsy Phantom

6,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Kyousouka
panty sniff
Kyousouka
panty sniff
zaMmaP

Have you ever looked specifically for long-form webcomics? Those are usually the online equivalent of narrative comics, rather than strips. They come in a huge variety of styles and types of stories. But, just as with print comics, you do have to put some work into finding ones you like, especially if you're as picky about the writing as you are about the drawing style (I am).

Oh yes. I look for both long form stories and strips because I do both. I'm sure there are really great thing out there but I, unfortunately, do not have the time to look that deeply. Which is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of comics hosting sites.
It is sad how this forum has become so dead, when I was an amateur illustrator this is the place I came to for information and sharing ideas. Now it's full of "read my manga/comic" threads that really belong in the promotions sub-thread.

Personally, I don't play the games here on Gaia. I miss the actual discussions that used to happen here, until the trolls took over.

For my two cents: webcomics are awesome, but I'm biased since I'm a (long form) webcomics illustrator. It does take some time to look through and see what is catchy to read out there, which is why I'm always looking for suggestions.

Now I'm off to go draw a comic about Krampus. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces