Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vena

I think Kickstarter is great for small projects. Personally I try to only fund projects if they are for individuals or small groups, I am not a fan of already established studios or companies using kickstarter. I think on thing that most people don't realize is that if they add a ton of perks, the amount of time and money it will take to make and deliver everything. So if you choose to do perks make sure it is something viable on a larger scale than what you anticipate (like a computer wallpaper sent out by email) or you put a limit on the amount you can make (like doing a set number of prints, so you only have to order one stack at most). Perks are awesome to draw people into your project but I've heard a lot of horror stories about them getting out of hand really fast.

I've been reading up on other's past experiences. I'm with you in that I'm not to happy with people that could get their work published in other areas, using KS just because they don't want to answer to someone. If thats why you're having a KS, than I"m going to think that problems will popup later because of lack of organization. On the other hand, if its from a group of popular artists that never got a chance to do something creator own, then thats cool. You already know they make great work, but might not have the resources to do it all on their own.

I'm planning for my KS after I'm done with half the book, and penciled all of the book. I'm hoping to live stream me working on the pages to get some momentum before I launch. Currently I'm part of a group using Indiegogo for a magical girl comic. I'm only toning, but I"ll see what sort of feedback I'll get since we're all unknown. I know you need to develop a following, but at what point does it defeat the purpose and just set up a pre order system without paying KS' fees?

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
The Zorya

Ring-a-ding-ding...

Hey! c:
I just read what you have of your comic so far, and I must say, I'm loving the art! The character designs are very original and your colouring is delightful.
The only critique I would have is that the first two pages seem a little wordy?
I feel something along the lines of
First panel thought bubble: I hope Grandma's wrong about something strange being out here...
Second Panel thought bubble: Ugh, the air's filled with the stench of rot.
Third panel - nothing
Fourth Panel thought bubble: ..Blood..
Fifth Panel - nothing, the eye reaction shows everything that needs to be said
Second page, first panel: speech bubble: "What the-" (also perhaps change the art here slighty so that her feet are more spread apart like they would be when you see her full body in the next panel P: )

Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but I feel it would flow better that way c:

...we have a winner!

Lazy Teammate

24,425 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Evolution Debut 250
Though I am an artist (but not the best) and looking for a comic artist/MSPA like artist for my side project.

Beside that, I think Kickstarter is a perfect way to start up a project. But to me, I don't like to beg unless it's very important to promote the project. Though, I don't know if it optional, but reward(s) to the donators is like the reasons why they like to help.
Like Homestuck for example, I thought some of the rewards were impossible to get(for being so cheap on money sometime), like your fantroll be seen in the comic for $10k. Making them canon fantroll. For $10,000? I like Homestuck and all, but the rewards were too much for me.

So, letting everyone know, make your reward(s) affordable to people who has little of money and wants to help.

Before I forget, does anyone have/had Smack Jeeves? I like to know if it's a helpful and good site for newbies.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Emerlia
The Zorya

Ring-a-ding-ding...

Hey! c:
I just read what you have of your comic so far, and I must say, I'm loving the art! The character designs are very original and your colouring is delightful.
The only critique I would have is that the first two pages seem a little wordy?
I feel something along the lines of
First panel thought bubble: I hope Grandma's wrong about something strange being out here...
Second Panel thought bubble: Ugh, the air's filled with the stench of rot.
Third panel - nothing
Fourth Panel thought bubble: ..Blood..
Fifth Panel - nothing, the eye reaction shows everything that needs to be said
Second page, first panel: speech bubble: "What the-" (also perhaps change the art here slighty so that her feet are more spread apart like they would be when you see her full body in the next panel P: )

Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but I feel it would flow better that way c:

...we have a winner!

I sadly can't change much since my computers video card is broken and just managing to push out pages weekly is very hard to do, not to mention fixes. But I definitely will take your advice and keep it in mind for future. Thank you so much.

Shadowy Phantom

Momo McCode
Though I am an artist (but not the best) and looking for a comic artist/MSPA like artist for my side project.

Beside that, I think Kickstarter is a perfect way to start up a project. But to me, I don't like to beg unless it's very important to promote the project. Though, I don't know if it optional, but reward(s) to the donators is like the reasons why they like to help.
Like Homestuck for example, I thought some of the rewards were impossible to get(for being so cheap on money sometime), like your fantroll be seen in the comic for $10k. Making them canon fantroll. For $10,000? I like Homestuck and all, but the rewards were too much for me.

So, letting everyone know, make your reward(s) affordable to people who has little of money and wants to help.

Before I forget, does anyone have/had Smack Jeeves? I like to know if it's a helpful and good site for newbies.

SJ is very easy to use even if you're new, I recommend it. It's not without flaws, and it's ad-supported, but it's the best option for a new comicker concerned with presentation that I've seen.

I don't think you should compare your comic to Homestuck. Homestuck can get away with crazy things like that because it has a crazy huge fanbase, and there are some rich people in that fanbase. HS was around for years before its KS.

Also, Kickstarter is not a way to start up a project, it's a way to keep a project going. If you're starting from nothing, people will not be inclined to give you their money. You will also not have very many people who care about the KS enough to help you promote it. Get a comic going first, build a fanbase, then make a KS.
A KS for starting a project only works when you as a creator already have a large fan base willing to support your works without knowing much about them. Even reputable creators on KS typically have a decent chunk of the project done so that they have something to show before the Kickstarter begins.

Lazy Teammate

24,425 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Evolution Debut 250
Kyousouka
Momo McCode

SJ is very easy to use even if you're new, I recommend it. It's not without flaws, and it's ad-supported, but it's the best option for a new comicker concerned with presentation that I've seen.

I don't think you should compare your comic to Homestuck. Homestuck can get away with crazy things like that because it has a crazy huge fanbase, and there are some rich people in that fanbase. HS was around for years before its KS.

Also, Kickstarter is not a way to start up a project, it's a way to keep a project going. If you're starting from nothing, people will not be inclined to give you their money. You will also not have very many people who care about the KS enough to help you promote it. Get a comic going first, build a fanbase, then make a KS.
A KS for starting a project only works when you as a creator already have a large fan base willing to support your works without knowing much about them. Even reputable creators on KS typically have a decent chunk of the project done so that they have something to show before the Kickstarter begins.

Oh wow, I never knew that. thank you so much for the info of SJ.

As for KS, I never knew that either. I guess I should have research it. sweatdrop

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
The Zorya

I sadly can't change much since my computers video card is broken and just managing to push out pages weekly is very hard to do, not to mention fixes. But I definitely will take your advice and keep it in mind for future. Thank you so much.

Ring-a-ding-ding...

Ah, that must suck D;
But nah, it's a pretty solid start anyway - that was just a minor nit-pick xD
How often do you update? c:

...we have a winner!

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Emerlia
The Zorya

Ring-a-ding-ding...

Ah, that must suck D;
But nah, it's a pretty solid start anyway - that was just a minor nit-pick xD
How often do you update? c:

...we have a winner!

I would change the start if I could. Your suggestion is great.
It is updated every tueseday. I wanted to update on fridays too, but that's out of the question now
Have I been missing anything, not posting much for the last few years? Because I'm starting to wonder if I'm not too old for the anime avatar bit.
Mr McGrumpypants
Have I been missing anything, not posting much for the last few years? Because I'm starting to wonder if I'm not too old for the anime avatar bit.

Life gets in the way.

Also, while posters mature, the content of this forum doesn't. Posters either develop a career in comics that occupies most of their day, so they don't have the time to post often, or lose interest in comics and drift off completely. That leaves Comic Creators to be a non-stop merry-go-round of 14-year-olds posting the same threads. Stillborn attempts at manga circles, fiercely defending pages drawn from right to left, blowing up at the first hint of critique, etc.

It's worth poking with a stick every few months, but not really much else.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
It is slow as ever, so you can check on this forum every year and you will be updated fast.

I don't even bother to post much when it is always same thing posted around here and rather draw and write my own projects.

Shadowy Phantom

The Zorya
It is slow as ever, so you can check on this forum every year and you will be updated fast.

I don't even bother to post much when it is always same thing posted around here and rather draw and write my own projects.

This, sadly.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
I mean, I wish the CC talk topic was a bit more active, but even that moves so slow, especially in past two years.
On another note, I finally got new graphic card so I can continue the webcomic as planned. Once my software is installed, I will be able to implement changes Emerlia suggested. Again, thanks for that!
IronSpike
Mr McGrumpypants

Life gets in the way.

Also, while posters mature, the content of this forum doesn't. Posters either develop a career in comics that occupies most of their day, so they don't have the time to post often, or lose interest in comics and drift off completely. That leaves Comic Creators to be a non-stop merry-go-round of 14-year-olds posting the same threads. Stillborn attempts at manga circles, fiercely defending pages drawn from right to left, blowing up at the first hint of critique, etc.

It's worth poking with a stick every few months, but not really much else.
Sadly, too true. Reading the forum posts just reminds me that I'm too old to argue with teenagers about what makes a good comic.

I also try to write, but when I get home from a day of dealing with crackheads and sitting in front of a computer screen, I'm usually not in the mood to write unless I have something going on in the background. TV and video games have proved counterproductive.

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
i'm looking for an inker atm please pm me if interested

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items