Welcome to Gaia! ::

Garadius Von Tepes
can somebody help me think an idea for a small comic booklet I will make?? im running outta ideas sad

When it comes to making comics, the idea is literally the easiest part. if you can't think of an idea, you're not ready to make a comic.
Hey IronSpike, kudos on your award! What award did you win?

Dapper Ladykiller

So I was wondering, how far ahead do you guys write your comics? Do you typically stay ahead a certain number of pages?

Also, is there a way you organize your ideas? Do you use storyboards, or something similar?

Just curious about everyone's methods to their madness.

Ahh, I hope it's okay to post here, I'm not a comic creator just yet-
sinfully_cute
So I was wondering, how far ahead do you guys write your comics? Do you typically stay ahead a certain number of pages?

Also, is there a way you organize your ideas? Do you use storyboards, or something similar?

It's okay, it appears that all sorts are welcome here. Aspiring artists and seasoned professionals.

I usually try to keep ahead a good amount of pages, so the feeling of a looming deadline is never hanging overhead. (Unfortunately due to Hurricane Sandy, my lovely number of 9 pages ahead was reduced to a mere 1)
As far as organizing ideas, be sure to have a definite beginning, middle, and end. Know where your story starts, and how it ends. Then fine tune things as you go along. Write the plot. Then write the arcs. Then write the chapters. Them write what happens in each chapter. Them write the settings, dialogue, etc.

Dapper Ladykiller

HanoMayonaka
sinfully_cute

It's okay, it appears that all sorts are welcome here. Aspiring artists and seasoned professionals.

I usually try to keep ahead a good amount of pages, so the feeling of a looming deadline is never hanging overhead. (Unfortunately due to Hurricane Sandy, my lovely number of 9 pages ahead was reduced to a mere 1)
As far as organizing ideas, be sure to have a definite beginning, middle, and end. Know where your story starts, and how it ends. Then fine tune things as you go along. Write the plot. Then write the arcs. Then write the chapters. Them write what happens in each chapter. Them write the settings, dialogue, etc.

Oh God, that sucks!! I can relate a little bit. There was a book idea I had, I worked on it for like, a month. Then when my computer blew out is was gone... worst feeling ever. emotion_donotwant

Good advice. I have an outline for all my major events.
Dat perfectionist thing. I have a lot of script written, but I'd rather not give it to my artist until the first arc's done, cause I like editing too much.

For your comic, are you the artist or the writer?
I'm the artist.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
sinfully_cute

I plan out from beginning-middle-end but I don't write all that far ahead.

Thumbnails with the dialogue next to it is my preferred way to do it. That way I have my layout and script in the same place.

Dapper Ladykiller

Seijaku_Ishida
sinfully_cute

I plan out from beginning-middle-end but I don't write all that far ahead.

Thumbnails with the dialogue next to it is my preferred way to do it. That way I have my layout and script in the same place.

Oh that makes sense.

My God, your comic is gorgeous. There goes my day-

Distinct Genius

IronSpike
Garadius Von Tepes
can somebody help me think an idea for a small comic booklet I will make?? im running outta ideas sad

When it comes to making comics, the idea is literally the easiest part. if you can't think of an idea, you're not ready to make a comic.

well i got one now,
although its kinda based off on Britannic (the film)
Hey せいじゃく_いしだ, your work looks pretty amazing, I just took a look at it! Great stuff!
Garadius Von Tepes
IronSpike
Garadius Von Tepes

well i got one now,

Lets hear it. Tell us how it begins, how it ends, and what happens in the middle. Is this story more focused on the setting or the character?
I'm finally writing again. It feels good. Hopefully, I'll actually make progress this time. Also need to find an artist.

Distinct Genius

HanoMayonaka
Garadius Von Tepes
IronSpike
Garadius Von Tepes

well i got one now,

Lets hear it. Tell us how it begins, how it ends, and what happens in the middle. Is this story more focused on the setting or the character?

Well, it begins circa September 15,1920 whereas a ship is started to be built,2 months later, the ship was done and was named: RMS Artanicca, later on Nov. 17,1922 it was christened and later returned to Southampton. Nov. 20,1922 The ship was shifted as a hospital ship for WWI known as HMHS (Her Majesty's Hospital Ship).It was ordered to transport medics to America,to help against German forces November 24, A German U-Boat identified the ship,whilst launching a torpedo more or less, more than 100 km's because of the more advanced technology the Germans had, November 25,1922 The launched torpedo had hit the ships bottom part by means of heat seeking technology....
the ship had started to rise at a rate of 11 degrees as it drove into 12 degrees, it started to capsize whereas the hole on the bow due to the damage it took was seen by those who survived. As it goes down underwater, the bow part was removed due to the seawater's corrosive property..
the remaining survivors by the number of 1000 had gone and been picked up by a fellow Hospital Ship while the remaining 1500 souls were washed out and was seen lifeless on other locations...
(( its focused on the setting ))

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Kaxen
Hi there!

I've been trying to get Boy Aurus off hiatus and have been working on Downton Abbey fancomics because it has destroyed my life.

I like ComicFury and Smackjeeves as far as the comic hosters go.

Well, "keep it short" is probably a good idea. I never follow that though. *gross sobbing*

Ring-a-ding-ding...

Wah, sorry, only just realised you'd replied to me D:

I've been there xP
Although I miss it, I think it's probably a good thing that I'm not so addicted to anime/manga as I used to be, and don't spend all my time reading/watching it - makes me more productive xP

Yeah, smackjeeves was the first one that came to my mind, but I'll check out ComicFury too c:

Well, I currently have two major ideas going round my head, one that could go on forever, if I wanted to it to (short, character based stories which share the same world, but will only very occasionally link together in any meaningful way) and one that I reckon would be about 8 strips, tops (Walking Dead fan-comic)...
I really wanna get started on the long one, but I suppose I should get the fancomic done first as a kind of practice - plus it'll be much harder to do that one once I've got the other started P:

...we have a winner!
Hello everyone!

Just wanted a bit of an opinion.

I'm typically a fan of Science Fiction or Fantasy genres, but does anyone here enjoy love story comics that have no fantasy concepts?

I only recently hatched this idea for two artists falling in love in a big modern city and it's honestly the first story I've written in over 10 years that doesn't have some sort of Sci-fi, or fantasy edge to it.

Do you think people would be interested in reading it?

Quick summary of my story.

" Annabell Laight, A young talented artist, leaves her small hometown for the big city in search of a degree at the prestigious art school there. Working various jobs around the city to earn enough money to go to school she answers an ad by a famous sardonic art critic, August Reed, looking for an assistant. All of his previous assistants have quit in tears. Can Annabell put up with August's cynical behavior long enough to reach her goals? "

Sinfully_cute

I plan the story by writing down all my thoughts and spend time fleshing out each character concept and world concept, then I write a basic script of each chapter trying to visualize as I go what it'll look like in pictures.

Then once I've got a base script I begin storyboarding. At this point things usually change from the script as some ideas are pleasing in words, but not as pleasing in pictures.

After the sketch storyboard (sometimes just stick figures or blocks and shapes) I start cleaning up the art and add details and speech bubbles.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff