Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Phantom

-2o
/sentimental ramblings

I remember you and your awesome posts quite well. I hope to see more of that around, this forum could use them xP

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
-2o
Hello all,

Sorry for the formality, it's been a funny sort of day. I don't know who remembers me from way back when, but I was feeling nostalgic and wanting for grounding, so I came back to one of the places I used to spend a lot of time years ago. I'm turning twenty- one this year. I started on Gaia at 14 or 15. I'm slowly flunking out of college as a bored and arrogant economics major - and i'm no where I want to be in my artistic development because of all the hiatuses i've taken from skill building. My life's kinda falling apart.

So I came back here because there was a time I called this place home. And i've seen most of the faces I was used to seeing and interacting with (or quarreling with) are gone and that I probably have no right to have such tender memories of the place since I was never that personally close with most of the folks here (I was a standoffish little s**t, unable to communicate beyond the impersonal, and also intimidated by others accomplishments) and I left it like one leaves a play thing they are tired of. Still, though, i'm trying to get my head on straight and get back into comics and drawing and creating. That lead me back to CC.

And I guess I wanted to say, while it has been a funny sort of day and i'm feeling all groundless and liminal and whatnot, that i'm glad this place is still here. And whoever is still around, i'm glad you are, too.

/sentimental ramblings

Of course I remember you. It's nice to see you about. Many regs have sort of drifted away, and I don't really blame them.
I didn't mean to wander off. Too busy, lately. Kickstarting, organizing a horror anthology, attending cons, courting my first publishing client, holding sales. I recently won some awards that basically validated every decision I made last year, so hey, if I ever need proof I'm not wasting my life, there's that.

But I often find myself wishing that this forum had a more profesh, nut-and-bolts aspect to it, because that would make me hang around a lot more regularly. If I could find just one or two threads about Manga Studio brushes, or a "Let's talk page rates" thread, I'd be a happy camper. But that's pretty much impossible. This is a website with talking anime dollies, after all. Most of the talk here is a combination of hot air and dead ends, because it's from kids. Which is to be expected.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
IronSpike
I didn't mean to wander off. Too busy, lately. Kickstarting, organizing a horror anthology, attending cons, courting my first publishing client, holding sales. I recently won some awards that basically validated every decision I made last year, so hey, if I ever need proof I'm not wasting my life, there's that.

But I often find myself wishing that this forum had a more profesh, nut-and-bolts aspect to it, because that would make me hang around a lot more regularly. If I could find just one or two threads about Manga Studio brushes, or a "Let's talk page rates" thread, I'd be a happy camper. But that's pretty much impossible. This is a website with talking anime dollies, after all. Most of the talk here is a combination of hot air and dead ends, because it's from kids. Which is to be expected.
Congrats on the award, I saw you post about it on twitter!

I'd like that too. Most of the forums I do end up joining that have that kind of conversation tend to die off, though.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I keep lurking around here for no apparent reason.

Though all these years I've been here, the only thing that has changed is that I draw slightly less like s**t... still terribly questionable when it comes to sticking with a project, but Boy Aurus did get quite a few pages. Unfortunately, they're all terrible and I need to rewrite everything. But since coming episodes have nothing to do with each other, I might just keep plodding along and pretend the previous chapters never happened.

But since I was on Comixology the other day and in the free comics section someone had a comic involving dragons and airplanes and I thought it was awful and now I've been mulling drawing my dragon riders vs. airplane pilot story again, but I still can't draw planes as well as I would like and I haven't solved the problem of how the POV is the pilots, but 75% of people side with dragons.

Eloquent Explorer

-2o

Hey -2o, we never really talked but I remember you well :3 There's nothing wrong with being nostalgic. I'm now twenty-two and have been on this site since I was thirteen. I have a ton of fond memories about Gaia, though again, it doesn't really resemble the place I used to hang out in and the people I knew here have largely gone. I'm sorry to hear your life isn't shaping up the way you wanted it to be sad Though I know it sounds like an empty sentiment, I hope you can manage to figure things out somehow.

And I'm really happy to see so many names I recognise in this thread again :3 Hey guys.

Kaxen
and now I've been mulling drawing my dragon riders vs. airplane pilot story again

surprised Why did you ever stop? That was an awesome idea xD

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
enchantedsleeper
Kaxen
and now I've been mulling drawing my dragon riders vs. airplane pilot story again

I didn't feel like my art and writing was up-to-snuff to what I wanted and then I rolled off the demotivational cliff...

But I might sort it out again.

Eloquent Explorer

Kaxen
I didn't feel like my art and writing was up-to-snuff to what I wanted and then I rolled off the demotivational cliff...

Oh, fair enough. I know that feel. I hope you can solve your problems with it though :3

Shadowy Phantom

Kaxen
enchantedsleeper
Kaxen

If you get back to it, share your secrets ;D I've got a bunch of things in limbo because I either don't feel ready to tackle them, or because they're stuck in the perfectionist loop.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Kyousouka
If you get back to it, share your secrets ;D I've got a bunch of things in limbo because I either don't feel ready to tackle them, or because they're stuck in the perfectionist loop.

It's weird though, I'm in the perfectionist loop a lot worse with dragons vs. planes. Well, my perfectionist loop with Magical Los Angeles is pretty bad too.

Most of my other comics I'm a bit more THIS IS CRAP, BUT LET'S JUST KEEP GOING ANYWAY and then I get demotivated via my lemming-like attention span. I need to write more stories that only take a year to write/draw because I jump interests every one to three years.

Like currently, Thomas Barrow from Downton Abbey has eaten up 90% of my consciousness... I EVEN TALKED MYSELF INTO HUNTING DOWN ROB JAMES COLLIER'S FAN MAIL ADDRESS. ((granted, haven't sent anything yet because I have no idea how to do a self-addressed stamped envelope for international mail and I will probably chicken out in fears I'm coming off as that one really creepy fan)).

And that new Hannibal TV show is a slight dent in my consciousness because that show is so goddamned traumatizing, but I can't stop watching.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
It sounds kind of like you find it easier to work on 'crap' stories because you're not afraid of ruining it, Kaxen. XD

Which is pretty much how Overlord of Ravenfell became a webcomic before my Gateweaver story....

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Seijaku_Ishida
It sounds kind of like you find it easier to work on 'crap' stories because you're not afraid of ruining it, Kaxen. XD

Which is pretty much how Overlord of Ravenfell became a webcomic before my Gateweaver story....

Yeah, I suppose. sweatdrop

Versatile Explorer

11,825 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Ring-a-ding-ding...

Hullo, I'm new to both CC and this thread, but I'd love to start hanging out here, if that's ok with you guys anyway o 3o;;
I'm a 21 year old English animation student, just finished my first year, and plan to start up a webcomic this summer c:
(gonna do some writing for it this afternoon actually P: )

So, yeah...
How's everyone doing?
What personal projects/ comics are you working on?
And if you have any advice on starting up your first webcomic, like what hosting sites are good & such, then I'd love to hear it c:

...we have a winner!

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Hi there!

I've been trying to get Boy Aurus off hiatus and have been working on Downton Abbey fancomics because it has destroyed my life.

I like ComicFury and Smackjeeves as far as the comic hosters go.

Well, "keep it short" is probably a good idea. I never follow that though. *gross sobbing*

Distinct Genius

can somebody help me think an idea for a small comic booklet I will make?? im running outta ideas sad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff