Welcome to Gaia! ::

megrar
Psycho Bunny Studio

Dear Spike

I just saw the reaction to your guest comic on Questionable Content.

You were called a "cis white able-bodied/neurotypical dude" who needs to "Sit on a chainsaw" (because you know, violence solves all the problems for everyone but CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???) By someone who was totally kosher with you making fun of /Things that were not them/ but as soon as you made fun of /things that resembled them/ oh ******** it was ON like ********' DONKEY KONG.

I think I love you even more now, and I didn't think it was possible before.

~PBS

oh jesus. was that in the comments? i need to go read this.

No no not in the comments. I found the comic floating around on Tumblr with most people realizing it for the satire it was and everyone else having a MAD s**t OVER HOMAIGAWD HOW DARE SOMEONE MAKE FUN OF THEM THOSE ABALIST HATE MACHINES!

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
It might be because my head's pounding and I just got home from work but... goddamn, internet arguments are annoying. Some people have major sticks up their asses.

No seriously sir, you need to read some Scott McCloud. Argh.

Invisible Fatcat

6,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
HELLO WORLD OF SMART PEOPLE!
I'm Not a comic creator, but, I draw and write! I figured, a comic is a nice way to mix the two. I know about this much [__] (<------ that much guys) about making comics. Who wants to help me?!

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
InvisableMuffins
I'm Not a comic creator, but, I draw and write! I figured, a comic is a nice way to mix the two. I know about this much [__] (<------ that much guys) about making comics. Who wants to help me?!

I'm probably the dumbest regular (or regular lurker) here, but reading Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics is usually a good start.

Invisible Fatcat

6,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Kaxen
InvisableMuffins

I'm probably the dumbest regular (or regular lurker) here, but reading Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics is usually a good start.

I read them (manga more specifically) but, i don't get the process.
Kupocake
It might be because my head's pounding and I just got home from work but... goddamn, internet arguments are annoying. Some people have major sticks up their asses.

No seriously sir, you need to read some Scott McCloud. Argh.

Dude I just read something about a guy going off his s**t on a poster that he couldn't understand because he thought it was some heterosexual attack on gay people.

When it was explained to him the premis of the movie being a role reversal to shed light on how stupid it is to hate homosexual people from a heterosexual point of view he defended his original point that the movie was hateful and the directors/writers (all Homosexuals themselves) should die for making such a bad movie (no he never saw anything more of the movie other then the poster.)

Then when he was called an idiot he ACTUALLY REPLIED WITH:
"NO YOU'RE THE IDIOT!!!!"

I really think there needs to be an age limit on computers that's enforced.
InvisableMuffins

How to make a comic in a few easy steps!

Step 1: Draw your first page.
Step 2: Repeat about 100~300 times for subsequent pages as needed.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Put on internet and return to step one. / PROFIT

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
InvisableMuffins
Kaxen
InvisableMuffins

I read them (manga more specifically) but, i don't get the process.

Everyone's process is different, so I guess... doodle around until you figure out the work flow that works best for you.

Some people manage to make a masterpiece flying by the seat of their pants and some people can't start comicking until they've planned every blasted detail down even the ones that aren't mentioned in the story and other people are kind of in the middle.

Psycho Bunny Studio

But then there's those people who show that living on this earth for a while is no guarantee of functioning brain...

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
Psycho Bunny Studio

some kinds of stupidity are not restricted to young ages. that guy sounds like the kind that cannot stand to be wrong. he may be life-long stupid.
Seriously. Stupid knows no age limits.
Maybe there should be some kind of computer lock test? On every computer you have to answer a series of questions before the computer will turn on... or at least the internet.
Oh well.

In other news...

there's a spider the size of my hand

in my kitchen

Oh god someone...
halp
Helpe me
if you don't hear from me again.

It won.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
I thought this was an interesting post about stories without conflict. What do you guys think?

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Seijaku_Ishida
I thought this was an interesting post about stories without conflict. What do you guys think?
I actually went out on a date last night with a guy, and our entire conversation basically weighted on this (the most intense conversation for a first date ever?). He's Japanese and has very Japanese storytelling sensibilities, while I studied Western storycrafting. It was interesting to see extremely different perspectives in storytelling, and to him, it's stupid how Western stories tend to reinforce archetypes. There is no room for subtlety in Western storytelling, according to him and this Tumblr post.

I do disagree with parts of the essay on violence in Western storytelling. Violence is not always the main "problem" or conflict in the story. Internal conflict is another dominating keypoint of Western storytelling, and the writer here overlooks that, generalizing Western storycrafting into a primitive look. The fact is that Japanese/Asian storytelling is very much aligned with their own philosophies and sensibilities, their stories are a reflection of their culture. A story without conflict would generally bore people in the US because we acknowledge conflict as part of our daily lives. Asian culture tends to keep conflict under the wraps/save face. They acknowledge conflict's existence, but rather pretend it's not there.

At least, that's how I see it, as an Asian-American person.
Kupocake
Seijaku_Ishida
I actually went out on a date last night with a guy, and our entire conversation basically weighted on this (the most intense conversation for a first date ever?). He's Japanese and has very Japanese storytelling sensibilities, while I studied Western storycrafting. It was interesting to see extremely different perspectives in storytelling, and to him, it's stupid how Western stories tend to reinforce archetypes. There is no room for subtlety in Western storytelling, according to him and this Tumblr post.

I do disagree with parts of the essay on violence in Western storytelling. Violence is not always the main "problem" or conflict in the story. Internal conflict is another dominating keypoint of Western storytelling, and the writer here overlooks that, generalizing Western storycrafting into a primitive look. The fact is that Japanese/Asian storytelling is very much aligned with their own philosophies and sensibilities, their stories are a reflection of their culture. A story without conflict would generally bore people in the US because we acknowledge conflict as part of our daily lives. Asian culture tends to keep conflict under the wraps/save face. They acknowledge conflict's existence, but rather pretend it's not there.

At least, that's how I see it, as an Asian-American person.

Plus there are plenty of conflict driven asian stories too, conflict is often portrayed differently but it's still there.

Geh, want to write more but can't wrists buggering now.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
...does it change how a character is perceived if he thinks he's pretty and whether or not anyone ever agrees with him?

Guh, Niccolo being pretty isn't a plot point, but he probably sounds more egotistical if no one ever agrees with him that he looks nice. But I can't decide how best to shove in more mentions of him being pretty... or should I just draw girls oogling at him when he walks around college?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff