Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Kyousouka
Kupocake
I personally put all my sketches and other art on my Tumblr, making sure that my Tumblr is pretty much dedicated to my comic and artwork, and reblogging unrelated material is kept to a minimum. Just make sure to link your Tumblr site from your main webcomic site constantly so people are aware about it.

Tumblr is my second biggest source of traffic referral, actually.

My Tumblr is 99% own art posts, I'm not a fan of reblogging... but the reblogs are for all my art projects, not just the one comic. I guess I should have separate ones for each? And then the central one should reblog the others, like you said?

That seems like a neat idea.

Also, were you the one who suggested I use songs to time my thumbnails? I tried it and failed horribly~ But at least I got my goal at the time done on time, and this weekend I get to work on the next batch.
Eh, I have just one that encompasses all my projects, but I mainly post about Cans of Beans since that's my active comic while the others are still in the backburner. But the important thing is to stay fairly active while still staying semi on-topic because Tumblr dashboards update like crazy and if you only post something once a week, you're going to be drowned in a sea of random crap. I've learned to post at least 2-3 times a day to stay a-float.

Well congrats on getting your stuff done at least. XD I forced myself to do the timed thumbnail thing and my work turned out much better than I could have hoped. Just try again next time? And perhaps do a straight up timer instead of songs, songs might be somewhat distracting and what you need is a solid beep telling you to move on.

Shadowy Phantom

Kupocake
Kyousouka
Kupocake
I personally put all my sketches and other art on my Tumblr, making sure that my Tumblr is pretty much dedicated to my comic and artwork, and reblogging unrelated material is kept to a minimum. Just make sure to link your Tumblr site from your main webcomic site constantly so people are aware about it.

My Tumblr is 99% own art posts, I'm not a fan of reblogging... but the reblogs are for all my art projects, not just the one comic. I guess I should have separate ones for each? And then the central one should reblog the others, like you said?

Also, were you the one who suggested I use songs to time my thumbnails? I tried it and failed horribly~ But at least I got my goal at the time done on time, and this weekend I get to work on the next batch.
Eh, I have just one that encompasses all my projects, but I mainly post about Cans of Beans since that's my active comic while the others are still in the backburner. But the important thing is to stay fairly active while still staying semi on-topic because Tumblr dashboards update like crazy and if you only post something once a week, you're going to be drowned in a sea of random crap. I've learned to post at least 2-3 times a day to stay a-float.

Well congrats on getting your stuff done at least. XD I forced myself to do the timed thumbnail thing and my work turned out much better than I could have hoped. Just try again next time? And perhaps do a straight up timer instead of songs, songs might be somewhat distracting and what you need is a solid beep telling you to move on.

2-3 times a day? I generally unfollow any tumblr that updates that much on a regular basis D8

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
O_o All the tumblrs I remember following update very very often... Though I suppose following 500 is part of that reason I'm not entirely sure...

...Good God, I need to cull that down...

Shadowy Phantom

I follow tumblrs that update daily or less, and I do my best to keep the number of people I follow low. I'm more likely to follow an artist's twitter, really. I like to keep my Tumblr dashboard full of inspirational art of awesomeness rather than updates.

I am probably in the minority.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Kyousouka
Kupocake
Kyousouka
Kupocake

2-3 times a day? I generally unfollow any tumblr that updates that much on a regular basis D8
Most of the really popular Tumblrs update often and frequently. What people want is a constant stream of new information/images/memes, and they get upset when they've refreshed their Dashboard and nothing new shows up within the last 15 minutes. That's the reality of the average Tumblr-user, and I try to accommodate that without destroying my sanity. So, 2-3 times in a single day has been good for me so far.

And I do try to make my updates meaningful or interesting.

I haven't ventured into Twitter territory, I feel it's a bit premature for my comic so far, but Tumblr's been fantastic for pageviews, at least in my case.

Shadowy Phantom

Kupocake
What people want is a constant stream of new information/images/memes, and they get upset when they've refreshed their Dashboard and nothing new shows up within the last 15 minutes. That's the reality of the average Tumblr-user, and I try to accommodate that without destroying my sanity. So, 2-3 times in a single day has been good for me so far.

I haven't ventured into Twitter territory, I feel it's a bit premature for my comic so far, but Tumblr's been fantastic for pageviews, at least in my case.

I guess I should face the reality that Tumblr users really do spend their day checking Tumblr every 10-30 minutes ._. I'm the opposite, I try to keep my dash clean enough that I only need to check it two-three times a day and not have to go to page 2.

I'll aim for daily updates, but if I happen to have extra stuff to post, I guess there's no reason to hesitate? I think that's a more productive way for me to look at it than "oh crap I'm spamming" :D

Twitter's been great for me! I haven't kept detailed stats, but at least for Livestream, it seems like Twitter is the next best thing to an LS announcement along with a page update.
People's twitter feeds automatically filter out conversations with other people, so it's easy to use Twitter for both chatting (though I do try to keep it minimal) and updates/announcements.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Kyousouka
Kupocake
What people want is a constant stream of new information/images/memes, and they get upset when they've refreshed their Dashboard and nothing new shows up within the last 15 minutes. That's the reality of the average Tumblr-user, and I try to accommodate that without destroying my sanity. So, 2-3 times in a single day has been good for me so far.

I guess I should face the reality that Tumblr users really do spend their day checking Tumblr every 10-30 minutes ._. I'm the opposite, I try to keep my dash clean enough that I only need to check it two-three times a day and not have to go to page 2.

I'll aim for daily updates, but if I happen to have extra stuff to post, I guess there's no reason to hesitate? I think that's a more productive way for me to look at it than "oh crap I'm spamming" :D

Twitter's been great for me! I haven't kept detailed stats, but at least for Livestream, it seems like Twitter is the next best thing to an LS announcement along with a page update.
People's twitter feeds automatically filter out conversations with other people, so it's easy to use Twitter for both chatting (though I do try to keep it minimal) and updates/announcements.
It's not spamming if you're posting new/interesting content! Tumblr needs more unique content, anyway. I don't think anyone will mind if you post 1-2 times a day, they'll probably be more intrigued at your work and check out your comic as a result.

Huh, I guess I should look into Twitter then. While I do advertise heavily whenever I have an upcoming Livestream, I don't get that many viewers. It's Twitter time, then.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
How many people watch your livestreams? I've never done one and watched very few. For some bizarre reason, I love watching people draw in-person, but over the internet, I feel very "bleh" about it.

Shadowy Phantom

Kaxen
How many people watch your livestreams? I've never done one and watched very few. For some bizarre reason, I love watching people draw in-person, but over the internet, I feel very "bleh" about it.

Not many, I'm not very good at them (and neither is my Internet connection). When I'm really lucky (and LS along with a comic update), I get into the double digits, but usually it's just a few people.

I haven't done a public LS in a really long time though, and I doubt my new projects will have as many readers, so my LSes will be emptier than before.

I'm the same way as you are when it comes to watching people draw! I love seeing it in person (even if it's digital), but I don't like watching LSes. Not sure why. I think it has more to do with the chatting and feeling out of place than the actual art.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Kaxen
Yesterday's Livestream got 13 viewers, but I haven't done them enough to give a real estimate; I get 3-5 more viewers with every Livestream I do so far.

I've watched a few Livestreams and I thought they were fun. I prefer watching them in-person but I'm fine with over the internet too.
I used to Livestream pretty regularly. I need to get back to that.

Also, I basically already have the overflow from my Kickstarter mentally spent. The plan:

- A Poorcraft sequel, about traveling/vacationing/globetrotting cheaply. I'm not writing it, nor am I drawing it. It'll be the first comic I make where I am serving in a purely editorial capacity.

- A new webcomic, an sci-fi comedy adventure originally conceived because nothing chafes my a** quite like "Look at the poor hapless natives enthralled/utterly subjugated by our awesome tech" tropes in sci-fi. I'll be writing, and paying someone else to draw it.

- A resin toy.

And somewhere in there, I will find time to publish the 6th volume of Templar.

2013 is going to be exciting.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
I come back from ColossalCon to see this on my dash, ahaha.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Seijaku_Ishida
I come back from ColossalCon to see this on my dash, ahaha.
Excellent. Gotta share that around now.

My friends are all in an intensive animation summer course except me (money/didn't apply). They're expected to put in 50 hours of homework every week for this single class. As a result, my friends have offered to let me work with them while they are doing animation homework, except instead, I'll be doing intensive comicking. I think 50 hours of comicking for 12 weeks should put me in a good spot!
Someone please tell me that this and the like is an endeavor being pursued in webcomics.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Shouting Fox
Someone please tell me that this and the like is an endeavor being pursued in webcomics.
You mean the animated rain filter?
I don't see a whole lot of that around, but I kind of find it distracting and a bit overly flashy. A lot of webcomics that work only in a webcomic format take advantage of other things, like infinite canvas and even sound, such as in that Korean horror comic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff