Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Congratulations. That is whole lotta money, you totally should be proud of that achievement.

I was not really productive lately when it comes to comic pages. I would sit there for hours, without making a single solid panel. I barely finalized some paintings I am to put on exhibit in July and all the commissions. I simply can't believe how much death of family member could shock me.

But this Friday stuff got much better and I manged to redo quite bit of pages for comic I am working on with Niiwa. And as cream on top, I got news from other writer I was working with on another webcomic finally contacted me after many months and sent me script for rest of comic. It feels awesome to be able to finalize projects I was working on so long emotion_kirakira

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Congrats Spike!

Gosh, Kickstarter is becoming more and more of an asset for independent comic artists than ever.

Dapper Explorer

IronSpike
In other news, my Kickstarter finally closed at $83,100, which is literally more money than I've ever had access to at one time in my entire life. It's double the down payment I made for the apartment I'm currently sitting in.

I'm sending one of those books to my sister in Japan! It's pretty exciting. She's gonna open that and either think I'm really awesome or really weird. Congrats on your success.

The Zorya
I was not really productive lately when it comes to comic pages. I would sit there for hours, without making a single solid panel. I barely finalized some paintings I am to put on exhibit in July and all the commissions. I simply can't believe how much death of family member could shock me.

But this Friday stuff got much better and I manged to redo quite bit of pages for comic I am working on with Niiwa. And as cream on top, I got news from other writer I was working with on another webcomic finally contacted me after many months and sent me script for rest of comic. It feels awesome to be able to finalize projects I was working on so long emotion_kirakira

Oh jeez, I'm sorry to hear that. Glad things are emotion_kirakira otherwise, but you know, death can hit pretty hard and all. I wish you the best.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Thank you.
The death was excepted after certain events, so I guess it made it a bit easier and helped me recover faster from shock. To think of it, almost two months passed.
On more cheerful note, I improved my weekly page rate ever since I began to do croquis drawings, not only live models but also city surrounding. From 2 per week, now I manage 6. With toning since my art classes is completely about drawing objects as tonal shapes instead of constructing, which takes much longer.
IronSpike

You either stand behind what you said or you don't. Since you're backpedaling so wildly, it's safe to assume you've thought better of your previous statement. Good for you. Because it was ridiculously wrong.

I stand by what I said. I'm also over it. Thanks for your concern.
Shouting Fox

I stand by what I said. I'm also over it. Thanks for your concern.

User Image

For everyone else, Deb Aoki of About.com's been running a five-part series on Making a Living from Manga. Of special interest in the latest installment, covering TokyoPop's influence on the American manga market , DC's short-lived Minx line, and how you have better chance of winning the lottery, literally, than being a successful gaijin manga-ka in Japan.
I'm more of a Tyrion guy. "All your joy will turn to ash in your mouth" and all that.

It's long been my understanding that the Japanese dig American culture but essentially give ******** about Americans. They're prevalence for "Japanese only" signs on some of their establishments has been explained away as keeping us from things we "wouldn't understand," which seems to coincide with the racism the mainland Japanese are said exhibit. (Such an explanation simply would not fly if it was done in America-- almost implies an inferiority of mental capacity by explanation.)

I think Japan still holds onto a bit of the closed-border syndrome they had way back when. I remember a report on Current saying that the Japanese population is dwindling so fast that they are looking to robotics to fill the jobs that are lacking. There's a talk of letting in more foreigners but I don't think that'll last.

What I'd be interested in is seeing what kind of manga industry exists in Brazil, considering there's more Japanese there than there actually are in Japan.
Madcap_Bekkers
Is it time to break out the Richard Williams rant about listening to music while drawing?

I think it is.

Animation is concentration. Comics are also concentration, but that doesn't rhyme. I definitely feel too stupid to do more than one thing at once. I recently made the mistake of listening to the Book of Mormon while drawing turnarounds, and now I'm going back to fix all my mistakes. Although...listening to a musical is probably a fantastically stupid choice even as far as listening to music while drawing goes.

Yeah but not everyone is the same for something like this. I find when I'm not plugged into music, or at least when I don't have headphones in, I can't sit for hours on end and finish something. Without the added distraction of the music I'll get distracted by the internet, a book, some dust, a bug, someone talking next to me.

I don't tend to hear the music after a while, and when it turns off I can't tell, and when someone talks to me after that point I can't hear them anymore either, but I need the music to get me to that point of "white background noise so I can ignore everything else."
Holy s**t is there any way to get rid of that OBNOXIOUS AS ******** pop up ad at the bottom of the page that keeps blocking everything?

Also

Grats Spike! I'm looking forward to getting my copy of smutty goodness. ^_^)

Yeah, if you've got something good to go and the gonads to go for it kickstarter is a place to be.

((Though thanks to Japan Needs Heroes I'm much more sketch about who I'll give my money to even if they seem legit.))
Shouting Fox
I'm more of a Tyrion guy. "All your joy will turn to ash in your mouth" and all that.

It's long been my understanding that the Japanese dig American culture but essentially give ******** about Americans. They're prevalence for "Japanese only" signs on some of their establishments has been explained away as keeping us from things we "wouldn't understand," which seems to coincide with the racism the mainland Japanese are said exhibit. (Such an explanation simply would not fly if it was done in America-- almost implies an inferiority of mental capacity by explanation.)

I think Japan still holds onto a bit of the closed-border syndrome they had way back when. I remember a report on Current saying that the Japanese population is dwindling so fast that they are looking to robotics to fill the jobs that are lacking. There's a talk of letting in more foreigners but I don't think that'll last.

What I'd be interested in is seeing what kind of manga industry exists in Brazil, considering there's more Japanese there than there actually are in Japan.

Wow...

The "Japanese only" signs are few, far in between, and usually mean "We only speak Japanese" and if they do mean "Japanese people only" are indeed, illegal and have been taken to court.

Yes Japanese people are racist.
So are Americans. "Everyone's a little bit racist~ sometimmmeesss~"

A Japanese person only has a .00001% chance of "Making it" in the manga industry (I'm talking your Toriyama's, Kishimoto's and Oda's here.)

The years, work and s**t that the average Japanese manga-ka has to go through to survive as a manga-ka is something 99.9% of North American Artists will not do.

I know people who HAVE had published animation and manga work IN JAPAN who ARE AMERICANS.

Guess what they did?

Quit.

Because it was a s**t job for s**t pay which allowed them no social life in an office where you were so bent over your work you could sit next to the same person for a year and still not even know what they look like.

(As my friend told me, he once needed to borrow an eraser from his deskmate whom he'd been sitting next to for 6 months, when he spoke to her she had two reactions
1) HOLY s**t I'M BEING TALKED TO
and
2) HOLY CRAP YOU'RE BLACK?!?
6 months, elbow to elbow she'd never even looked over at him they were on such deadlines.)

Oh and considering the reaction of some Americans to the March 2011 earthquake?
"That's for pearl harbor you godless japs"
Yeah, I can see why some Japanese people might be a little stare about Americans.

Oh and the whole "talk of letting more foreigners in"
Recent passing of law extending visa lengths and the ease at which to get them, certain certification tests for nursing jobs have been made easier in recent years, And the a*****e politician who told Japanese women to get in the kitchen and have more babies got fired right after that so baby steps but it's starting. Robotics are still important since there are jobs that foreigners and Japanese people don't want but still require a level of skill that a day laborer who doesn't speak Japanese can't do.

And there's 1.5 million people of Japanese decent in Brazil
which is 1/8th of just TOKYO.
IronSpike

For everyone else, Deb Aoki of About.com's been running a five-part series on Making a Living from Manga. Of special interest in the latest installment, covering TokyoPop's influence on the American manga market , DC's short-lived Minx line, and how you have better chance of winning the lottery, literally, than being a successful gaijin manga-ka in Japan.

That was a good read and I really agree with it. The Japanese market is set up in a completely different manner than the North American one, which on all fronts for all comic creators, not just manga influenced, is screwing everyone over hard core.

Granted thanks to the internet, digital books and kickstarter I'm hearing more and more success stories from web comics. (At least as many as what I hear of "success stories" of manga-ka in Japan)

The Japanese market is also just not easy for an average North American to enter. Due to some major hurdles that most people can't, won't and just don't want to jump here...

1) Language barrier: To just get an apprenticeship here you're going to have to have near native fluency in Japanese.

2) Education barrier: After getting that fluency you're going to have to come here to go to an art school so you can be better considered for apprenticeship with your class upon graduation. Or so you can get your work considered at TAF.

3) Location Barrier: For all of this you will have to physically BE in Japan.

4) Work Barrier: You're looking at 10+ hour days every day of the week with s**t pay trying to get work done on a deadline if you go the apprenticeship route. You're looking at the same situation if you join a "Circle" and self publish through Doujinshi which suffers the same problem as North American work in that people have little interest in original works at least not until you've proven yourself with unoriginal tripe for a few years.

5) Pure dumb ******** luck/MAD SKILLZ barrier: The whole .00001% chance of making it at all even if you've done everything else since you are competing with everyone else for that tiny slice of the market pie.

Even if you're Japanese you've still got better luck winning the lottery then ever being a successful Manga-ka.
In other news. I have a summer cold from hell and it feels like I swallowed glass.
Also my comic will resume regular updates every Monday again as my wrists have sufficiently healed to be back drawing.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
That's good that your wrists feeling better. x_x Though your poor throat...

Bah, I totally fell over my comics updates because I've been sewing and I can't seem to sew and draw in the same day for some wholly irrational reason and well... 30 plushies in 30 days plus scoodies... x_x I suppose one of the good points of being out of school is that next year I won't have to cram all my AX preparation into a little over a month because I can't drag my sewing machine to my dorm. I can spread it out over a longer period of time.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Psycho Bunny Studio
Holy s**t is there any way to get rid of that OBNOXIOUS AS ******** pop up ad at the bottom of the page that keeps blocking everything?
))

I guess you are talking about Meeboo footer gaia has. I had it first few days it came out, then changed it back to old one since it lagged me like mad with those extra adds.
Go to my gaia>Account>Preferences then find Footer display and choose either Old Footer or No footer and see if it works out for you.
Kaxen
That's good that your wrists feeling better. x_x Though your poor throat...

Bah, I totally fell over my comics updates because I've been sewing and I can't seem to sew and draw in the same day for some wholly irrational reason and well... 30 plushies in 30 days plus scoodies... x_x I suppose one of the good points of being out of school is that next year I won't have to cram all my AX preparation into a little over a month because I can't drag my sewing machine to my dorm. I can spread it out over a longer period of time.

Jeze how many plush do you sell at a con?

And thanks :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces