Welcome to Gaia! ::

Seijaku_Ishida

Yeah, I sent him a message telling him as much.

I would really like this to go through, with or without the marvel artists.

Any reply from him?

Between this and the chatter about getting Wayward Sons drawn for free on promises of future payment, dude is earning himself a pretty bad name. I don't think he does any of it on purpose, but all the same.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
IronSpike
Seijaku_Ishida

Yeah, I sent him a message telling him as much.

I would really like this to go through, with or without the marvel artists.

Any reply from him?

Between this and the chatter about getting Wayward Sons drawn for free on promises of future payment, dude is earning himself a pretty bad name. I don't think he does any of it on purpose, but all the same.

No answer yet, no.

I think he said he paid his artists when I was a member of webcomics.com
I hate to be so jaded but I never really trust Kickstarter projects for exactly that reason. Most people who want to do comics want to do them because of the idea of getting paid for it. Paying someone for something before they do it kinda takes away the purpose for them to do it. True creative types will do it make comics for the sake of sating their creative urges, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to know the difference between those with the creative urge and those with dollar signs in their eyes.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Well, I imagine one could get brought up on fraud charges if they don't pull through.

When I do my own kickstarter, I'm going to have everything put together first. But then, it'll be a book version of my webcomic.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Shouting Fox
I hate to be so jaded but I never really trust Kickstarter projects for exactly that reason. Most people who want to do comics want to do them because of the idea of getting paid for it. Paying someone for something before they do it kinda takes away the purpose for them to do it. True creative types will do it make comics for the sake of sating their creative urges, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to know the difference between those with the creative urge and those with dollar signs in their eyes.
Let's be realistic. Most people who go into the art industry are there because they are passionate about their work and love what they do. However, everyone has bills to pay and mouths to feed, not to mention that not all artists/writers/directors/etc. are that excited with the idea pitched to them, but they'll do it with monetary incentive.

Basically, see it like this: we get to do what we want to do for a living, and we sort of get paid for it too. Only hopeless romantics go into the comic industry thinking they're going to make it big. If someone wants to make a bit of profit off their hard work and years of training, I really don't see the problem here.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Money isn't an evil thing in that everyone needs it.

This reminds me about an article railing at the suffering/starving artist trope...ah, here it is.
Seijaku_Ishida
Psycho Bunny Studio
Guess who just got back from the steel phallus festival surprised
Give you all three guesses as to what I had in my mouth all day, and you don't need the first two guesses.

In other news, over one year later and guess what hasn't been published?

Guess who's skepticism has been repaid?

Guess why when some of the oldbies on Gaia make a call on someone they're usually right?

Man I hate being cynical AND hopeful, makes me put my money and effort into things that I know are going to fail.

((If you haven't been able to guess, Japan Needs Heroes 1 and 2 still are not out and the creator has taken his $20 grand and fallen off the internet.))

I'm pretty pissed as well. :/ I can kinda understand not wanting to publish a book without some big names, but there comes a point where you need to JUST DO IT or refund.

Here are some methods of contacting him. Maybe if we can get enough creators to do it, we can see some results: http://waywardsons.keenspot.com/contact.html

Yeah at this point less "results" and more "Refund" considering that I was reading that sometime in the next 4 months all the repairs from the earthquake and Tsunami will be finally completed and thus, donation money no longer needed.

The worst part was is that when I first met Benny Powell my INITIAL gut instinct was from the get go "What a flake" but then when he did this I was ashamed of myself for thinking that. I was thinking "Oh he's a great guy, got's a good head on his shoulders."

Now I'm three times as pissed off at him because he was the main organizer of one of the bigger contributions from the comic book industry in the name of this disaster and over a year later and a few days shy of a year after funding was complete we've got what?

A big fat Nada and a country that doesn't even need the help anymore. Pardon me for being a little choked in that I'm willing to bet that from Japan I could have gotten this s**t done faster and I'm no where near being a "professional"

But then again, neither is he apparently.
IronSpike
Psycho Bunny Studio

((If you haven't been able to guess, Japan Needs Heroes 1 and 2 still are not out and the creator has taken his $20 grand and fallen off the internet.))

Speaking as someone whose Kickstarter project took two years and is only just now (********. FINALLY.) sitting at the printer and soliciting back-cover quotes, I want to give "Japan Needs Heroes" the benefit of the doubt.

But the creator hasn't posted even a Backers Only update since December.

Personally, I feel Kickstarters have no obligation to keep people who didn't back the project up to date. But even contributors don't know what's going down right now.

If something specific is holding up the show, I'm going to bet it's artists slacking. When you're not paying someone to do something, their urge to produce isn't quite as fierce as it might be. but even if that's the case, the creator should say something.

The creator of "Japan Needs Heroes" actually has a Gaia account, but he signed up just to promo his webcomic, "Wayward Sons." He received a frosty reception, and never returned.

Yeah, that's where I first kind of met him, on here on Gaia.

I mean if he was keeping everyone up to date on the project step by step, either on Kickstarter, or the facebook page, or his own website, or his blog or via smoke signal I'd have no problem with it.

"This artist is missing art"
"I sent them into the printers but I'm getting a red light"
"T-shirt design keeps bleeding"

Anything and I'm pretty sure people would be okay with it. I know I would, heck like I said on JNH2 if he'd just update with a "I'm having problems right now but don't worry $$$$$ has gone to the Japan Red Cross already and I'm only holding onto $$$$ for the printing and shipping" I'm pretty sure people would be cool with him taking five years to get it out or just sending everyone a thank you card.

But to get vague updates of "We're almost done!" for around 6 months and then a "Just gotta find a few people at Wondercon" in December and then dead air from then on?

Well not only does it smack of serious unprofessionalism if not down right KOHNY level of shadiness, it just re-enforces all the negative comments people had of him from the get go and it drags down the name of everyone who contributed art and encouraged others to contribute money. Not like I have any fans to disillusion but I know I was pressuring my friends and family to get the JNH2 book because I was going to have my work in it. After I submitted (August 2011) I got no confirmation my work was received and other then one "we're just missing a few people" e-mail I've received personally, nothing back. And I've e-mailed him a few times asking about if he got my art, if he'd like me to do replacement art for people missing, how many pages are missing and if the money has been donated yet.

I guess I'm just miffed because now it just seems like it was a waste of time when I could have done something else and directed my friends to other donation sources. I'm more miffed about this because I helped create this mess by being a part of it.

Fashionable Ladykiller

11,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
Wow this place is even more dead than when I used to hang out here o.o;

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
I haven't been as invested in Gaia lately. Especially with going back to school soon.

Eloquent Explorer

Heh, I guess I'm not alone in going AWOL then? But I really haven't hung out here properly in FOREVER. sweatdrop

I had a question though, which I was going to create a whole thread for but I figured it might be easier just to ask around here. A while ago I was investigating the comics guilds on Gaia and discovered that there are virtually no surviving guilds these days dedicated entirely to comics. I feel like there really should be some, but would anyone else here bother with guilds that much or is the CC enough of a comics community for you? Do any of you know of some decently active guilds that I might have overlooked, either geared around comics or art guilds with a good comics section?

Basically we're looking to turn the Catalytic Productions guild into more of a hangout and I thought it would be a good opportunity to fill the void of comics guilds on Gaia, but it depends on whether people would be interested in joining something like that. And if you think you might, then what kind of content would persuade you it was a guild worth joining? It's still under construction so basically anything is possible at this point.

^^; I feel like I'm doing market research, but aside from my ulterior motives for asking about this, I am generally interested as to what people think about comics guilds in general. Yay or nay?

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
I pretty much ignore guilds these days. Most people do. They're a good idea in practice but they're always more than a few clicks away from being convenient. I know, it's lazy, but it's a huge reason why guilds don't update as quickly as a forum. And just look at the CC, it's practically tumbleweeds here.

And yes, I've been AWOL too. Because today is the premiere day of my webcomic. ;D
For a guild to be worth joining, it would have to have a purpose. Most Gaia guilds don't seem to have a purpose other than "Oh, you like (x)? me too!"

Eloquent Explorer

IronSpike
For a guild to be worth joining, it would have to have a purpose. Most Gaia guilds don't seem to have a purpose other than "Oh, you like (x)? me too!"

XD I think that's kinda why the entire Guilds feature was created. But okay, what kind of thing would you consider to be a good enough purpose?

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
CC isn't so much 'enough of a comics community for me' as I've found it elsewhere in places like fantasycomicportal, the nano comm, or even twitter.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff