Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Saraneth 6th Bell
Yeah, and faced with the success of things like the LotR movies...why would people not want to make an amazingly popular movie? =/ The amount of movies based on boosk that change absolutely every single thing apart from the names. It's ridiculous. Because all the movie is going to do is flop. So there's not much money there at all.

I like zOMG! I just hate the name of it. XD But it's beta, and apparently the lag isn't lag. It's because of just before release, Flash updated, so it created issues that weren't there before. It's something to do with memory leak or whatever.

Eh, once you can kill the mushroom things in one blow, they're not so bad.

Yeah...

The only movie that pretty much screwed up the book, but I have liked was Howl's Moving Castle. But that was mainly because I read the book second. >_> My sister whines about Michael.

If I ever write a book and that book gets turned into a movie, I would probably be the pain-in-the-a** who wouldn't stop trying to control everything... Then my being a pain-in-the-a** will cause the production time to take too long and we'd never make back the budget. rofl

>_> How long does it take to be able to kill the mushrooms in one blow? I finished the mushroom cap collecting quest by riding on the coattails of a random stranger who had killer shark powers who randomly decided to let my taciturn self join his party. I was frustrated enough to join at that moment.

I hate joining parties... WHY CAN'T I BE A MISANTHROPE ON AN MMO?!

And right after I finish the mushroom cap quest, the NPC tells me to make a party... -_-' fuuuuu...
They changed Eragon completely and ripped off as many scenes from Star Wars and LotR as they could. XD They could have made it so ******** epic and awesome, but instead they made it s**t.

Lol. 2012 Olympics. ******** waste of money, if you ask me. >_>
Uh, I can't remember when exactly, but my Mantis ring is around charge 3. And I know, I hate the fact that you HAVE to join parties for some things. D:

And yeah, if anything I did got turned into a movie, I'd hold out for a good contract that actually gave me some control. =/ Because when movies from books/comics are good, they're ******** awesome. Sin City. Perfect.

Eloquent Explorer

Saraneth 6th Bell
They changed Eragon completely and ripped off as many scenes from Star Wars and LotR as they could. XD They could have made it so ******** epic and awesome, but instead they made it s**t.

Lol. 2012 Olympics. ******** waste of money, if you ask me. >_>

Interestingly, I read a review from someone on ... Amazon, I think, that said Eragon should have copied more off Lord of the Rings, and maybe they would've come out with a half-decent film. Star Wars I wouldn't really know about; I've only seen a few and they were a long time ago.
They just ripped bits off badly. You know in Two Towers where Saruman is talking to the horde of Uruk-hai? There's that bit where the guy in Eragon was doing the same to the badguy army. And I think there were some rather Balroggy bits too. I can't remember. It was just terrible.

Eloquent Explorer

Haha, I'll have to re-watch that bit. I have the DVD because mum accidentally ordered two copies as a present for my cousin.

It seems that people can't help but rip bits off LOTR; the Big Epic Battle in the first Narnia film bears distinct similarities to the battle of Helm's Deep in the second LOTR film, even down to the figure on a white steed riding at the head of the army (Gandalf on Shadowfax/Peter on a unicorn). Still, you can't really blame them for wanting a piece of the awesome. It's interesting that there are some books which have been called 'the new Harry Potter' (including Twilight, ugh) and yet no one's dared to name a film 'the new Lord of the Rings'. Hah.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Peter riding bareback on a unicorn makes me giggle. >_> I don't know why... I guess it's because I think it looks terrible. Unicorns are kinda wussy... Well, the ones in the Firebringer Trilogy aren't that bad.

>_> How many variations are there to EPIC BATTLE OF EVERYTHING, anyhow?

Though my EPIC BATTLE OF EVERYTHING in Under One Sky is fought 1,000 feet in the air... >_> Drawing a mob of soldiers/warriors/etc. is too hard!
All the 'new Harry Potters' are s**t lol. And no where near as popular. You don't see any older guys reading Twilight. But you do see them reading HP. There be a reason for that.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Hell you won't catch ME reading Twilight. Or HP, really. HP never caught my interest.

My g/f's brother asked about twilight and I gave him a slightly snarky but accurate summary and he was kind of "...and people read this?"

I'm letting him borrow Exquisite Corpse. Nothing like reading about a necrophiliac and cannibal falling in love and going out to get...uh...dinner.
I have a teacher that used to be in a comic strip buisiness in New York! He is sooooo cool!!! He counts down how many days weve been in school and how many more are left by drawing himself on the white board with a subject. Its really cool!!!! Hes an awesomest teacher.... probably the collest ive ever had!!!

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Uh...okay. Might as well run with it. My coolest teacher:

My animation professor was a voice actor and animator. She works for Powerhouse...they do the Jay and Silent Bob and Clerks animation.

Thanks to her I got to go to Richard 'Lord British' Gariott's studio and have a look-see while they were polishing up Guild Wars.

I also got to be background voices in the anime Getbackers.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
@_@ The coolest thing my teachers were ever involved with was The Simpsons and Family Guy. Though one worked for Disney and he never seems to have anything good to say about animators at Disney. They take anything not nailed to the ground and draw boobies on Pocahontas when bored or something. But I can never tell how serious he is. He also said one of the other professors was six feet tall and couldn't fit into the doorway even though Gil is like a tiny Asian man (who draws badass spaceships and Spartans).

Though I find it hilarious that my jolly-jolly figure drawing teacher draws doom and gloom...

I love how my professors remember me. All through primary school, teachers always ask if my sister is related to my brother but no one ever asks if she's related to me... and we had the same teachers for a few grades... -_-' They even ask if she is related to our cousin! (well, he's my grandpa's brother's son.)

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
My animation teacher knew a few people from disney(she said it's a rather small field), and from what she said you're pretty much right on the boobies thing.

When I was in school a lot of teachers thought I'd be a problem child like my brother that's a year older than me...they pretty much soon learned that I'm the opposite.

It's kinda sad...I actually finished high school. And actually went through some college(going back next year when my parents income doesn't matter). And I work at ******** wal-mart while my brother works as tech support for World of Warcraft.
enchantedsleeper
Psycho Bunny Studio
From Japan they do.

I joined this site because one of my friends did and she convinced me to. I liked the paper doll thin although it wasn't until last year and an ungodly amount of gold from chronic ED posting that finally got me to start changing up my Main's looks.

Oh and my friend using my credit card to buy the donation items. then I got hooked on those for a while.

But corporate greed always turns me off so once the cash shop opened up I stopped buying the donations. Because ehy would I donate to Gaia when they make a profit now?

Do they, though? Because they've only introduced things like the cash shop as they've got bigger, and since Gaia is still essentially a free website (c'mon, the majority of it is free) they must need a heck of a lot to keep it afloat. If you add that to the fact that a good percentage of Gaia's population are under 18s who don't have credit cards that they can use to buy donation items, you can see why Gaia needs to whore itself out to every sponsor that comes along. Yeah, it bothers me, and I think they made a bad choice of sponsor with MTV (the omnipresence of Skittles annoys me too... LOL @ Neth asking DJ Hellsing at the MCM Expo whether Skittles were sponsoring Gaia Halloween trick-or-treating XD I mean, we all noticed that, right?) but where else is the money going to come from?

...And I have the distinct feeling we've had this exact conversation before whee I think I'm even using some of the same phrases.

Yup and I think I gave you a low balled estimate of how much they'd be making if they were not spinning any profit. Which considering Gaia originally started out as a "Fun based project in their free time" to a "They could be paying a staff of 50 people 2,000$ per month to run it" I'm pretty sure NPO isn't even on the charts anymore.

Further considering I've seen them spending money to put advertisments elsewhere, clearly Gaia has gone beyond the "Pet project for fun" it originally was to a "Money making Biz-nach"

They want donations? Fine, they need more donations? it's never been below them to ask before (That's why I started donating as well, Gaia told everyone they needed cash for a new server and damn it, we all pitched in.) They need even MORE Donations? Okay, three letters a month with multiple changes in them so really you need to get 20-30 letters to get the full set of letter items and the Cash Shop. OKAY (maybe)
Whoring out to anyone with cash? Well if I know whores I know they's all about the Benjamins baby and not so much about "providing a needed service for fun"

Quote:
If Gaia would just enable mobile-phone donating for countries outside the US then I would definitely buy MCs in that way. Phone credit is essentially an extension of my pocket money so even if my parents found out about it, which they probably wouldn't (I donate to charities every so often in that way), I doubt they'd mind. I hardly use my phone so credit tends to last me ages... apart from that disastrous time when I spent about an hour on my mobile to a friend on a landline without realising it was costing me a fortune @_@

I thought they did do that already? (I know they have a lot of mobile services.)
Saraneth 6th Bell
Yeah, and faced with the success of things like the LotR movies...why would people not want to make an amazingly popular movie? =/ The amount of movies based on boosk that change absolutely every single thing apart from the names. It's ridiculous. Because all the movie is going to do is flop. So there's not much money there at all.

I like zOMG! I just hate the name of it. XD But it's beta, and apparently the lag isn't lag. It's because of just before release, Flash updated, so it created issues that weren't there before. It's something to do with memory leak or whatever.

Eh, once you can kill the mushroom things in one blow, they're not so bad.

Yea about movies that's one thing I don't get.

I mean you've got a script already, It's the book, so why pay some other guy to change well, everything in the book to make some original script with some vauge similarities.
Why spend tons of money on CG (because it's not like these crap movies are being made cheaply) when the movie is gonna flop in theater when the first wave of fans see it, and tell everyone else it was s**t.
like you said LotR was a hit, people saw it two or three times in theater, then bought each movie as it came out. (Sometimes more than once as they'd often buy each movie, and then the box set, and then the box set with the special features.) And the merchandising!!

You could be raking it in for years. So long as you decide not to make s**t..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff