Welcome to Gaia! ::

Designing a ceramic vessel with attitude. I'm not sure if I want to go with a timid vessel or an aggressive one.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
AEAcomics
Designing a ceramic vessel with attitude. I'm not sure if I want to go with a timid vessel or an aggressive one.
Make it a sassy vessel. ;D
Kupocake
AEAcomics
Make it a sassy vessel. ;D

ooohhh, even better!
You guysss, JUSTIN BIEBER should have won best new artist! Even Asian child laborers making Nikes working in what is most likely unsafe conditions getting paid an extremely low wage that an American would never be able to live off of know who he is!!1!!1

If this isn't a parody or satire (and it probably isn't)...it's really...sad.

Eloquent Explorer

Bulbasauurr
Anyways, whats everyone else working on?

Uni-wise, an essay about Neo-Confucian responses to social change in the late Ming and mid Edo.

Actually-enjoyable-stuff-wise, I've been going through a load of old games that I played in my childhood and writing reviews for ones that people don't seem to have heard of. It's fun, though I still hope people read them or it'll have been largely a waste of time. xD

I'm so hungry. Stop playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and feed me, boyfriend.
@enchantedsleeper
Are there any accurate and well-written books on Confucianism (both its teachings and history) you'd recommend to someone unfamiliar with the subject?

Eloquent Explorer

Haha, funnily enough I got asked the same question a few months ago by a prospective applicant for Chinese Studies at Cambridge (I don't know whether she got in or not...) but I didn't really know of any then and I still don't. :/ My knowledge on Confucianism comes more from our East Asian Studies lectures (and a bit from translating the Analects and similar works in Literary Chinese lessons) than from background reading. And in all the essays I've had to write so far, I've never really come across a single book 'about' Confucianism; they've all either been historical books which mention Confucianism in the context of that period, or occasionally they were books which dealt with a specific Confucian text or texts, like the 'Great Learning'. And a lot of them were hideously dense and boring.

I can only recommend one book as being both concise and accessible, which is The Four Books: The Basic Teachings of the Later Confucian Tradition by Daniel K.Gardner, dealing (as the title says) with the infamous Four Books of Confucianism (Great Learning, Doctrine of the Mean, Analects and Mencius). I've not read it cover to cover, but it came in very handy in an early essay.

I can also edeavour to answer specific questions if you have any. xD
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been watching a Korean historical drama the past few days and it made me realize how very little I know about Confucianism and how I should probably do something to fix that. I don't even know enough to ask specific questions, though!
I'm still hacking at my damn short bio for a convention. sweatdrop

I have no idea what to say about me or my studio. I also feel rather silly in the bio pointing that I am indeed one person but have a studio/business name that I work under.

Though if I don't mention this in the bio everyone will be damn confused because I'm never on convention listings and such under my name.
Man, almost done designing this creeper of a bard for a D&D game with some fellow comickers next week.

Eloquent Explorer

Amentar
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been watching a Korean historical drama the past few days and it made me realize how very little I know about Confucianism and how I should probably do something to fix that. I don't even know enough to ask specific questions, though!

Ooooh, which drama?
enchantedsleeper
Ooooh, which drama?

Dong Yi
Marvel vs Capcom sucks. neutral Tell your boyfriend to play something better if he's going to neglect you.

I'm going to go rage about bad game balance now.
Yeah, that's partially why I made a Tumblr: so I can rant about s**t.

And do reviews of whatever. I'm thinking about doing reviews for some EVNs I've been playing. 8D

Speaking of rants, I hope I'm not the only one who thinks the ad for Dead Space 2 "Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2" is stupid and immature. :/
Mink_LaLa
Yeah, that's partially why I made a Tumblr: so I can rant about s**t.

And do reviews of whatever. I'm thinking about doing reviews for some EVNs I've been playing. 8D

Speaking of rants, I hope I'm not the only one who thinks the ad for Dead Space 2 "Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2" is stupid and immature. :/

Nope, it's pretty dumb.

I recall some folks on The Escapist being annoyed because that sort of campaign is pretty much geared towards teenagers and there is no way to argue that is isn't. Even though the game is rated M for Mature, which technically means that the teenage audience is one audience they really shouldn't be aiming for.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff