Welcome to Gaia! ::

Owari
...okay, I'm finished now.
*runs for cover*

I thought at first this was some sort of in-comment signature thingy based on your handle, but apparently not? Anyway, you should have a sig/sign-off that says はい、オワリです.
Amentar, you and your Japanese I can't read at all. D8<

Owari: Yeah, I doubt I'd waste time drawing if I didn't find it fun or enjoyable and don't see why anybody would. Okay there was that one webcomic artist/writer, but he had his reasons.

On a semi-related note, I've always thought it was weird when people say they create for themselves...but then show it around or whatever. Like this one musician who, don't get me wrong, I like her well-enough, but I can't help but think, "If this was truly for yourself, why bother putting your music out there? Why not just keep it to yourself?"

Obviously that's not her sole reason, but any time I hear that, I can't help but think something similar to the above. :/

Mr McGrumpypants: I know mine's a total lap dog; he likes to crawl into my lap when I'm trying to draw. D: Or act like he's trying to burrow UNDER me. But sometimes he annoys me when he's in my bed by taking forEVER to find a comfortable spot, until eventually I'm like, "JUST LAY DOWN, DAMMIT."
Also out of the blue...
Mink_LaLa

On a semi-related note, I've always thought it was weird when people say they create for themselves...but then show it around or whatever. Like this one musician who, don't get me wrong, I like her well-enough, but I can't help but think, "If this was truly for yourself, why bother putting your music out there? Why not just keep it to yourself?"

As an illustrator who is just drawing comics for fun and practice, I put my stuff up there because I drew it, I'm proud of it, and I like sharing. Why not show what I've taken the time to draw?

@Amentar: よこ分かったは!「オワリです」の冗談は面白いと思っている。

Dapper Codger

5,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100
pink-manga-CUTIE
As an illustrator who is just drawing comics for fun and practice, I put my stuff up there because I drew it, I'm proud of it, and I like sharing. Why not show what I've taken the time to draw?

^ Yes, this.

Also, throughout my years in University, it was kind of obvious which pieces the fine arts students were making because they enjoyed it, and which ones were for an assignment. The pieces done for enjoyment always felt more sincere. The ones done for the class were a bit more "this is A and B, equalling C; praise me."
I get the same impressions when I read indie web comics or look at portfolios (dA, or in-person). I tend to like the work people have done for themselves as self-expression, rather than those that were made to appeal primarily to an external audience.

...and, unfortunately I work in the design field, which is pretty much making something for someone else, or making something for mass appeal. So I feel very strongly in my off-work time about creativity primarily for the self. XP
That's not what I meant. What I was saying is that if something was really ONLY for you, then why bother showing it off, especially when some people's response to criticism of said thing is "Well it was just for my enjoyment anyway!"? If you like to share or are that proud of it, that's motivation other than being just for you.

OR MAYBE I'M NOT WORDING THIS RIGHT.

And I'm not saying you can't do something for yourself or whatever; of course that's not the case.
Mink_LaLa
Amentar, you and your Japanese I can't read at all.

It's just a stupid pun. You can read it either as "Hey, I'm Owari" or "Okay, that's all."
Amentar
Mink_LaLa
Amentar, you and your Japanese I can't read at all.

It's just a stupid pun. You can read it either as "Hey, I'm Owari" or "Okay, that's all."
You could probably play the new pokemon games right now if you wanted to... (They are released in Japan). I have to wait until March for the American release. emo
@ Bulbasauurr
Maybe if stats-based strategy games didn't make me want to stab myself in the head with a fork.
Eh, that depends on the game for me. Though one thing I hate is games where you HAVE to spend forever level grinding. For example, I like the .Hack games, but s**t, for a lot of monsters/level/dungeons that you have to do, you have to spend ******** hours leveling up.

Playing .Hack: G.U., I eventually went, "Screw it." and did only that for like a week, until I reached the highest level I could. And it was satisfying to be able to just curb stomp what is supposed to be a powerful enemy. I don't remember have to do that nearly as much for a Pokemon game, but I haven't played one in a while.

Shadowy Phantom

Mink_LaLa
Eh, that depends on the game for me. Though one thing I hate is games where you HAVE to spend forever level grinding. For example, I like the .Hack games, but s**t, for a lot of monsters/level/dungeons that you have to do, you have to spend ******** hours leveling up.

Playing .Hack: G.U., I eventually went, "Screw it." and did only that for like a week, until I reached the highest level I could. And it was satisfying to be able to just curb stomp what is supposed to be a powerful enemy. I don't remember have to do that nearly as much for a Pokemon game, but I haven't played one in a while.

I've only played the first .hack series, but I recall it being a fairly accurate amount of grinding to actual MMOs. I like the grind as long as the battle system is fun, but I didn't like .hack's grinding, so I returned to real MMOs.

Pokemon does not require a lot of grinding if you just want to complete the regular story mode. All the Pokemon you might need to beat the Elite 4 can be caught easily on the way or obtained via normal story play. Some grinding is very useful to get newly caught Pokemon up to par with your earlier ones, but this is usually not much.
Pokemon needs grinding only when you set out to kick a**, or fill your Pokedex, or beat the Elite 4 with a secondary team or something.

I spent the last few days getting ready for a trip and haven't done any comic pages. I won't be able to do any while on the trip either. I feel absolutely terrible.
I actually think G.U. is worse than the first series about grinding, Or maybe because having to devote time to leveling up and not going through the story, it seems to take forever to me. :/ Though I still think G.U. is worse about it. >x>

Also, I don't really know about this animation/CG software, but the site is selling it for $10 basic, $40 pro until they reach a certain goal. Just thought I'd mention it here, considering the normal price (about $500 and $1195, respectively).
I played the .hack// franchise. I had a man crush on Kite when I was younger. Someone willing to help people in any situation... that kind of character always appealed to me. *cough* Uhm, anyways.

I already asked this once before, but I figured since more people seem to be posting these days I figured I should ask again. Should I just start a comic even though I have the technical skills of a beginner? I feel like if I keep waiting until I'm satisfied with my technical skills to start a comic that I will be missing out on practicing other subtle things about comics (flow, pacing, ect.) Or maybe I'm being just a big baby who wants to jump into doing what he loves as soon as he can. x_x;
Two words: comic journal.
It's a good way to learn how to tell stuff with comic format and yet not giving any pressure to be top quality stuff. Of course, things are then different if you are anxious to publish stuff on the internet.
At the very least, it would help with consistency and possibly make you draw things you normally don't. And it's not like you wouldn't improve with time unless you're Megatokyo. I've seen comics that at the beginning have terrible art but there's steady improvement, even if it's a comic by someone who never went to art school or anything.

Seriously, say what you want about Questionable Content, but compare the beginning strips to the most recent ones.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff