Welcome to Gaia! ::

snacks_ex_machina

The article you link to seems to imply that she more or less got away with what she was doing.

Her book was pulled off Amazon, she lost a chance at a $20,000 prize, and she hasn't worked as a writer since.
IronSpike
snacks_ex_machina

The article you link to seems to imply that she more or less got away with what she was doing.

Her book was pulled off Amazon, she lost a chance at a $20,000 prize, and she hasn't worked as a writer since.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it means to have a novel 'pulled' but I can still find copies of her book for sale on Amazon. The article that you linked to says that she was approved as a finalist for that 20k competition in spite of accusations of plagiarism being brought to light.

Looking at an article posted after that, it appears that at some point she did feel the need to run away to America, though. Also seems like she may have caught a case of the sour grapes or something like that.

Helene Hegemann, 2011
Novels are kind of autistic-to sit all by yourself and it's just your opinion. I think it is unimportant just to say your own opinion and use your own way of seeing life. What is great about a screen play is that you know that some actors will come and voice the lines in a way they see it. Different ideas come together and this is where art starts.

At first she was plagiarizing novels, and now she's too artistic for them... sweatdrop
snacks_ex_machina
At first she was plagiarizing novels, and now she's too artistic for them...
Autistic, not artistic. She's saying novel writing is for people with disabilities in socializing, hence the "sit all by yourself" bit. Because it's just so classy to turn autism into a pejorative. Someone should run her over with a bus. But very quietly, so she doesn't get more attention.
Amentar
snacks_ex_machina
At first she was plagiarizing novels, and now she's too artistic for them...
Autistic, not artistic. She's saying novel writing is for people with disabilities in socializing, hence the "sit all by yourself" bit. Because it's just so classy to turn autism into a pejorative. Someone should run her over with a bus. But very quietly, so she doesn't get more attention.

Yeah, I know what she was saying. I was referring to the bit where she said, "Different ideas come together and this is where art starts." She says novels are autistic, which makes them unartistic (according to her). So she's not gonna do those anymore.

I don't know what her deal is. Even though she's just high-school aged, she talks out of her butt at an MFA level.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games