which should i do?

color! 0.55555555555556 55.6% [ 10 ]
greyscale! 0.44444444444444 44.4% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 18 ]
1 2 >

User Image

User Image

which do you think i should do?

NOTE: i KNOW it's not greyscale yet, i haven't done anything to it yet. this is black and white line-art. i am working on spell checking it now.
I would say it depends if it adds to the story or not. If grayscale doesn't add anything, then you might as well stick with color.

I, personally, like grayscale, but not just for the sake of having it. Ask yourself "why?". That question applies to many aspects of creating a story of any kind.

"Why do I want it in grayscale?" If your answers are:
It would be cool and different or Because I'm lazy and don't want to go through the work of coloring it, then you should color it.

--Additionally--
You may want to use spellcheck because you misspelled "Experimental". And since that's the first page of your comic, it's kind of a big deal.
Keep in mind that black&white/greyscale isn't just the absence of color. You still have to add contrast and value through other means, whether you use crosshatching, tones, or heavy blacks.

In other words, if you're doing it right, you'll ink for color differently than you will for something greyscale/b&w.

Right now, your non-color example just looks like a page you're going to go on to color. There's no contrast, barely any linewidth variation, it's very flat and boring.

There is no default for comics, it's what you can do well and how you use either color or b&w to get your idea across.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Kidra risirthid
User Image

That seems more like "nothing whatsoever" rather than "greyscale."

I suggest you use only what works for the tone of the work. Which is up for you to decide, really.

(And iMethuselah is right, you misspelled "Experimental." Always spellcheck your work.)
iMethuselah
Why do I want it in grayscale?" If your answers are:
It would be cool and different or Because I'm lazy and don't want to go through the work of coloring it, then you should color it.

yes. black and white is INCREDIBLY lazy. In fact i find myself being lazy with every comic page I do! Because it's in black and white!

User Image

.... Right.
You need to find a way to add definition and volume to your art. The BW line art you posted looks like a series of diagrams. Greyscale is usually the term used for something that has lots of variances in tone, but no actual color.

Sense's art is one example o how to make something black and white yet still look and feel 'solid'.
Both your color and your "grayscale" need work. You should work on line variation and line width because you need to be able to build on solid inks before you can do anything to them. As far as what you've got goes, the color is pretty faded and wan and as has been said, there's no value variation in your lineart that could be called grayscale.

In the end it's a stylistic choice and one you make based on how much time you have to spare. Committing to color means that you have to do it no matter how complex your pages get, and you can end up taking quite a lot of time. If you don't have the balls to dedicate yourself to this comic fully and completely til it's over, then you might want to go with grayscale.
What Hank said about adding texture and shading in some other way, and also- what you have here is not greyscale, it's black and white. Greyscale means actual grey- as in shades of grey, a range of colours between black and white, rather than just black and just white.
Sense vs Sensibility
yes. black and white is INCREDIBLY lazy. In fact i find myself being lazy with every comic page I do! Because it's in black and white!

Holy s**t that's nice.

I couldn't ink like that in a million years.
ninota
Sense vs Sensibility

Holy s**t that's nice.

Want to hate her even more? She does it all on tablet. I have no idea how but oh man is it pretty.

5,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Forum Junior 100
In addition to what other people have said, if you ever intend to print your comics (even if for a little mini-comic) it costs considerably less to print in black and white than it does in color.
KomiyanZaibach
ninota
Sense vs Sensibility

Holy s**t that's nice.

Want to hate her even more? She does it all on tablet. I have no idea how but oh man is it pretty.

The best thing is that I wouldn't be able to do it with traditional media. Odd that.

Also thank you :3

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Sense vs Sensibility
iMethuselah

User Image

.... Right.

Holy crap, where can I read your comic?

Though yes, what the others said. >_> Working one way or the other isn't necessarily faster IMO since a nice B&W piece is not just an uncolored color piece. So it goes down more to stylistic choices or printing costs.
iMethuselah
I would say it depends if it adds to the story or not. If grayscale doesn't add anything, then you might as well stick with color.

I, personally, like grayscale, but not just for the sake of having it. Ask yourself "why?". That question applies to many aspects of creating a story of any kind.

"Why do I want it in grayscale?" If your answers are:

--Additionally--
You may want to use spellcheck because you misspelled "Experimental". And since that's the first page of your comic, it's kind of a big deal.

i did? hm... i suck at spelling... i'll fix it.
Sense vs Sensibility
iMethuselah

User Image

.... Right.

Okay, I oversimplified my statement. I didn't mean to say that black/white is lazy. I'm currently working with an artist and we're doing the comic in grayscale. I hardly think it's lazy. I suppose I should have thought before I spoke. I apologize. redface

I was looking at her page and was thinking she meant to keep it as is, calling that grayscale. That's what I meant by lazy.

Your work looks amazing, by the way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces