Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Honestly I'm sick to death of harems/threesomes/ohmigodwhichwiththeychoose plots in general, regardless of whether its a woman with two guys after her or a guy with a bunch of girls. They bore me.

It's wish fufillment, which is why the main is usually a cardboard cutout: the viewer is supposed to be putting themselves in the place of the blank slate character. Which is pretty dull storytelling to me in general.

But hey, go for it. If you can breath life into the genre, all the better.
Seijaku_Ishida
Honestly I'm sick to death of harems/threesomes/ohmigodwhichwiththeychoose plots in general, regardless of whether its a woman with two guys after her or a guy with a bunch of girls. They bore me.

It's wish fufillment, which is why the main is usually a cardboard cutout: the viewer is supposed to be putting themselves in the place of the blank slate character. Which is pretty dull storytelling to me in general.

Well, this might sound weird but I was thinking of using a trap character instead of the common girl or guy. I've come across very few comics that deal with LBGTQ issues (even yaoi/yuri ironically) so I thought: hey, I can relate to every letter of that acronym so why not write about it? And rather than having just guys or girls, there'll be both. However, while they're all technically 'potential' love interests, the main already has someone he's interested in before the comic even begins. So it's more about how the protagonist's relationship with these people in his 'harem' impacts their lives.

Tipsy Lunatic

At this point you need to produce something before you ask what people think. You sound like you've got a solid idea anyhow. Nevermind what anyone thinks just yet, we haven't seen enough to have an opinion.
The Drunken Jester
At this point you need to produce something before you ask what people think. You sound like you've got a solid idea anyhow. Nevermind what anyone thinks just yet, we haven't seen enough to have an opinion.

I've drafted the summary for the story and character bio/concepts so far, but since there's quite a bit of information, I thought I'd ask and see who was interested in reviewing it first so I could PM the information rather than just putting it all here. I'd feel more comfortable with that anyway.

Tipsy Lunatic

hentai emperor
The Drunken Jester

I've drafted the summary for the story and character bio/concepts so far, but since there's quite a bit of information, I thought I'd ask and see who was interested in reviewing it first so I could PM the information rather than just putting it all here. I'd feel more comfortable with that anyway.

I mean like actual work on the comic itself. Do a layout of the first chapter or something.
The Drunken Jester

A layout as in completed scripting? If so, I'll get back to you once I've done that.

Tipsy Lunatic

hentai emperor
The Drunken Jester

A layout as in completed scripting? If so, I'll get back to you once I've done that.

A script and little scribbly ideas for panel placement.
When i do it i usually scribble a whole page out at a time after writing out the scene with as little detail as possible.

Fashionable Ladykiller

11,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
hentai emperor
Seijaku_Ishida

Well, this might sound weird but I was thinking of using a trap character instead of the common girl or guy. I've come across very few comics that deal with LBGTQ issues (even yaoi/yuri ironically) so I thought: hey, I can relate to every letter of that acronym so why not write about it? And rather than having just guys or girls, there'll be both. However, while they're all technically 'potential' love interests, the main already has someone he's interested in before the comic even begins. So it's more about how the protagonist's relationship with these people in his 'harem' impacts their lives.

First off 'trap' is kind of an offensive fetishistic term these days. Secondly the use of a 'trap' is basically every cliche yaoi comic ever and the guys+girls are both interested has been seen before.

That said if you can bring something new to it, touch on real issues without fetishizing them, and you actually have an interesting story to go with all the will-they-won't-they-and-with-who stuff? Go for it. It's all in the execution after all.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Carnation beat me to it. Trap is a pretty damn offensive term, especially if your character is going to be transgender rather than a crossdresser. If you want to appeal to the LGBT audience, it'd be a good idea to keep that in mind.

Also, many trans* people give a lot of TG characters in anime/manga the side-eye because they're often displayed as one big walking joke(like Grell from Kuroshitsuji).
Catanaition N. D.

It really depends on the person because I know plenty of cross dressers who don't take offense, including myself. I could understand how it would be offensive to someone who is trans, but my character isn't trans. Also, I don't view it as sexually gratifying or a fetish. For some it is, but for me and others in my situation, it's merely a style/lifestyle choice, just as it is for the protagonist of my comic. And I'm not claiming that the cross dressing main character and guy+girls set up is original. I just want to portray it realistically, which isn't something I've seen in any yaoi/harem comic.
Seijaku_Ishida
Carnation beat me to it. Trap is a pretty damn offensive term, especially if your character is going to be transgender rather than a crossdresser. If you want to appeal to the LGBT audience, it'd be a good idea to keep that in mind.

Also, many trans* people give a lot of TG characters in anime/manga the side-eye because they're often displayed as one big walking joke(like Grell from Kuroshitsuji).

Like I said, whether or not someone takes offense to the term is entirely situational. I know plenty of cross dressers who don't take offense, myself included. I can understand that it can be offensive to a person who is trans, but my character isn't trans. I never said that he was. Also, you forgot the Q in LGBTQ. Having identified with every letter of the acronym, I think I have a pretty solid idea what does and doesn't appeal to people of that community. I'm not claiming to know everything, but I do have a lifetime of experience. So I do realize that they're often misrepresented not just in anime/manga, but in general, which is why I want to raise awareness.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Yeaaah. If you're going to admonish me for not using all the acronyms, then you should keep up to date with them. Isn't it QUILTBAG now? I just tend to stick to LGBT because I get the blank stare for using all the acronyms outside certain circles.

And just because you anecdotally know someone who isn't offended doesn't mean it's not an offensive term used to dehumanize trans* people.
Seijaku_Ishida
Yeaaah. If you're going to admonish me for not using all the acronyms, then you should keep up to date with them. Isn't it QUILTBAG now? I just tend to stick to LGBT because I get the blank stare for using all the acronyms outside certain circles.

And just because you anecdotally know someone who isn't offended doesn't mean it's not an offensive term used to dehumanize trans* people.

It doesn't make sense to 'keep up to date' with the acronyms when LGBTQ suffices. I'm only pointing out that by excluding the Q, you're leaving out all the people that don't fit the gender binary.

And you're assuming that I'm just drawing from casual observations when I have repeatedly stated that I have experience as a cross dresser. I just phrase it that way because I do it so often that it's become more of a style choice for me. Not everyone views it that way, but I do because when I go shopping, I buy stuff based on what I like and not what sections it's in. Also, every time I've encountered someone using the term 'trap', it was never out of malice but rather a way of expressing the fact that someone passes well. That, I think, is endearing and quite the compliment. So I don't take offense if someone calls me a trap, and it makes sense that the cross dressers I know like being called that. Given that, I don't think there's anything wrong with using that term so long as it's not being used against a trans person to try and invalidate their gender identity. I would never tolerate that because of my personal experience. Essentially, I thought I was trans for a while because I wanted to undergo SRS (I still do, but to a certain extent), I told everyone what pronouns I preferred, I seriously considered HRT, and I was eager to change my name (I still intend to do this also). I loved passing and it made me really happy to use the facilities I felt most comfortable with, but despite that, the term transgender just doesn't quite fit me even though it still applies to me. While I don't identify as such, I still know how upsetting it can be when people argue that transgenderism isn't legitimate. If a woman says she's a woman, she's a woman regardless. Same goes with every other gender identity. With that said, don't assume that I'm trying to justify offensive behavior or base my statements on anecdotally knowing someone because I am that someone.

Tipsy Codger

better reason to not use that word in your comic:

Not having to explain your whole goddamn life story until you're blue in the face every time someone is bothered by it (and plenty of people WILL be)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff