[snip]

Oh my glob, you're awesome. emotion_kirakira

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
inashosetai
I can create sketches for you. You can PM or e-mail characters descriptions to me. My e-mail is inashosetai@gmail.com.

As for gaia gold, since I don't use gaiaonline for any other reasons than to use the forums, the gold is worth little to me. How about 2,000 gold for each character sketch?

~ inashosetai
I dont mean to be....pushy?...but have you started on the sketches? (sorry I'm a little impatient, forgive me?)

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
I seem to be missing something? Is the offer not that great?

Shadowy Phantom

Snowblazer

You got some offers. That's far more than most other writers looking for artists get.

But yes, there are problems with your offer.

The major one is the lack of guaranteed payment. You're not going to get good/reliable artists like that. If you want free (and working for the possibility of a later profit split is essentially working for free), you'll need to settle for an artist who isn't very good or reliable. If you want quality and reliability, you need to pay a page rate.

This ties into the next big problem: The fact that you're unable/unwilling to pay a page rate and are instead desperately trying to entice artists with the possibility of payment speaks negatively of your character. It tells an artist that you lack the patience and investment in your story to wait until you can pay a page rate and get this project done right.

Profit splitting is good when both partners are equally invested in the story and already have good reason to trust each other. Profit splitting is not a good way to entice artists to work with you. You can use profit-sharing to sweeten an otherwise mediocre page rate, but it should never be the primary form of payment unless the project is a total collaboration between individuals who already know each other well.

You didn't provide a summary of the story in your OP. In other words, you're doing nothing to get an artist interested in the project. You need to sell us this thing! What makes it great? What's it like? What are your goals with this story? This info needs to be in your OP.
Providing information about the tone of your story will also help artists present their most suitable samples. Right now, they have to take stabs in the dark because the description you've provided is so vague. You know what aspects of the Sailormoon style you like, but we don't. It's almost impossible to describe a desired visual style, but if you describe the tone of your story, then you can evoke the style.

More minor issues, things that bug me but probably don't bother most others:
- You said you're writing in story format, then translating to script. To me, that sounds like you're not very aware of the structural differences between prose and comics, and may not be thinking in the same terms that a comic writer should be. If that's not the case and your end script is in fact perfectly geared towards the comic medium, then get rid of that mention. It just plants the seeds of doubt.
- You mentioned grammar and spelling as weaknesses. It's great that you're being honest, but it also suggests that the artist will have to work harder than they have to just to understand the script as you intended it. I highly recommend finding an editor who can remedy that for you (preferably someone close to you who knows what you're going for with the story). Providing a script that's easy and pleasant to read and follow is part of your job as the writer.

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
Kyousouka
Snowblazer

You got some offers. That's far more than most other writers looking for artists get.

But yes, there are problems with your offer.

The major one is the lack of guaranteed payment. You're not going to get good/reliable artists like that. If you want free (and working for the possibility of a later profit split is essentially working for free), you'll need to settle for an artist who isn't very good or reliable. If you want quality and reliability, you need to pay a page rate.

This ties into the next big problem: The fact that you're unable/unwilling to pay a page rate and are instead desperately trying to entice artists with the possibility of payment speaks negatively of your character. It tells an artist that you lack the patience and investment in your story to wait until you can pay a page rate and get this project done right.

Profit splitting is good when both partners are equally invested in the story and already have good reason to trust each other. Profit splitting is not a good way to entice artists to work with you. You can use profit-sharing to sweeten an otherwise mediocre page rate, but it should never be the primary form of payment unless the project is a total collaboration between individuals who already know each other well.

You didn't provide a summary of the story in your OP. In other words, you're doing nothing to get an artist interested in the project. You need to sell us this thing! What makes it great? What's it like? What are your goals with this story? This info needs to be in your OP.
Providing information about the tone of your story will also help artists present their most suitable samples. Right now, they have to take stabs in the dark because the description you've provided is so vague. You know what aspects of the Sailormoon style you like, but we don't. It's almost impossible to describe a desired visual style, but if you describe the tone of your story, then you can evoke the style.

More minor issues, things that bug me but probably don't bother most others:
- You said you're writing in story format, then translating to script. To me, that sounds like you're not very aware of the structural differences between prose and comics, and may not be thinking in the same terms that a comic writer should be. If that's not the case and your end script is in fact perfectly geared towards the comic medium, then get rid of that mention. It just plants the seeds of doubt.
- You mentioned grammar and spelling as weaknesses. It's great that you're being honest, but it also suggests that the artist will have to work harder than they have to just to understand the script as you intended it. I highly recommend finding an editor who can remedy that for you (preferably someone close to you who knows what you're going for with the story). Providing a script that's easy and pleasant to read and follow is part of your job as the writer.
Thank you for the advice. I realize I didn't make myself clear in my original post and I do apologize for that.

For everyone else the offer is still up however I will be setting up my story world before jumping into writing it. Once I have everything set up I will be rewriting this thread in hopes of getting the correct point across. One thing I will say is, I am looking for a partner to help with the story. I am not looking into hiring an artist to draw it out.

Shadowy Phantom

Snowblazer
One thing I will say is, I am looking for a partner to help with the story. I am not looking into hiring an artist to draw it out.

I want to point out this this in itself is not a sufficient condition to have a profit split as primary payment, though I'm not sure how clear that was in my previous post. It is a good step forward and you'll likely be able to get an artist who is invested in the story this way (and that means they're more likely to stick around), but you should still expect to pay a page rate.

Have you checked some of the threads around here of artists looking for comic circles and the like? Perhaps they might be interested.

I wish you luck! Most artists either want a quick fixed-rate comic to illustrate, or they have their own projects to work on. Finding someone who will stick around and care about someone else's project enough to make it their own is a rarity. If you find someone willing, cherish them and take good care of them!

One thing I can recommend is that you don't shy away from doing some art yourself. I've always had the most pleasant time collaborating with writers who were also artists, because such writers could think more visually, they were more familiar with the strengths and limitations of comics. It's also nice to get detailed feedback, or to be able to split some of the art duties. Your project can only get stronger if you learn more about the other roles. And who knows, perhaps you might realise you could do it solo xP You certainly wouldn't be the first.

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
Kyousouka
Snowblazer
One thing I will say is, I am looking for a partner to help with the story. I am not looking into hiring an artist to draw it out.

I want to point out this this in itself is not a sufficient condition to have a profit split as primary payment, though I'm not sure how clear that was in my previous post. It is a good step forward and you'll likely be able to get an artist who is invested in the story this way (and that means they're more likely to stick around), but you should still expect to pay a page rate.

Have you checked some of the threads around here of artists looking for comic circles and the like? Perhaps they might be interested.

I wish you luck! Most artists either want a quick fixed-rate comic to illustrate, or they have their own projects to work on. Finding someone who will stick around and care about someone else's project enough to make it their own is a rarity. If you find someone willing, cherish them and take good care of them!

One thing I can recommend is that you don't shy away from doing some art yourself. I've always had the most pleasant time collaborating with writers who were also artists, because such writers could think more visually, they were more familiar with the strengths and limitations of comics. It's also nice to get detailed feedback, or to be able to split some of the art duties. Your project can only get stronger if you learn more about the other roles. And who knows, perhaps you might realise you could do it solo xP You certainly wouldn't be the first.
Thank you again for the advice. I do understand the page pay rate, however I am not looking to hire someone to draw it. I have a basic job that pays just enough to pay the bills with some left over to buy groceries and maybe a book or two to help with creating.

Sadly I do not have the talent to draw. I can fake a story board but that's about it. Well I can color but not on Photoshop...it confuses me. Most of the artist looking for writers aren't the style I'm looking for (I do love their art) or they already have a partner. I am hoping to find that one person, be it a writer, artist, or both, that is looking for a partner and will stick around.

Shadowy Phantom

Snowblazer
Sadly I do not have the talent to draw.

Talent is a myth perpetuated by people unwilling to put in the hard work to become better at things. You can learn to draw if you want to and devote time to it. The problem for you isn't a lack of talent, but a lack of time.

You can and should still try, though. Even if you don't learn things like anatomy or how to use Photoshop, you should still familiarise yourself with the theory behind art. Learn to see (that is, see things objectively and critically instead of letting your brain filter everything for you). Learn about colour theory, learn about light. Learn about composition. This is all theory stuff you can learn by simply reading about it periodically and observing what you've learned in real life and in others' artworks.

You can also strengthen your understanding by applying it by making your own art with tools already familiar to you, but this is optional. However, you'll likely find that once you start seeing like an artist, drawing will be much easier for you because you'll be able to pinpoint what's wrong and how to fix it instead of just intuitively knowing it's bad but not why.
Technique and tools are what you have to really put in the practice to learn, but you can learn all the most important visual skills for a comic writer without diving into that.

Fluffy Genius

4,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I think the one major flaw is that, you say you are looking for an equal partner. Except, you already have a story. You already have characters, you're already writing the story.

It would much more enticing if you were looking for someone, to collaborate with from scratch, as opposed to already having a world in your head and you + the partner will be working on that. That's not equal, that's somebody helping you with your thing.

To be equal, you both need to create the thing together, from the beginning.

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
Princling
I think the one major flaw is that, you say you are looking for an equal partner. Except, you already have a story. You already have characters, you're already writing the story.

It would much more enticing if you were looking for someone, to collaborate with from scratch, as opposed to already having a world in your head and you + the partner will be working on that. That's not equal, that's somebody helping you with your thing.

To be equal, you both need to create the thing together, from the beginning.
That was said in the first post. I am looking for someone to help on my stories, who needs help on their stories and wants to create new stories.

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
Still looking

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
Still looking

New project as well. Linky
Q vQ;...this sounds kinda like a dream.

My name is Jin, and I'm 16. But hear me out before you blindfold yourself towards this comment, please. I'm an aspiring artist, who made herself an extensive storyline with too many characters to keep track of. My one true weakness is creating dialogue [and drawing manly men], though, and I have never been able to convince my friends to become as passionate as I am in storywriting. It gets kinda lonely, which is why this thread sounds awesome beyond belief.

Payment is not my main incentive. Rather, I look forwards most to the collaboration you described, as well as to drawing your charactes. I love stories, and I can listen to them for hours on end if needed. I'm always craving details.

Here is some of my art:
Example #1
Example #2
I like to think that i draw in lots of different styles. Sorta.

I can also give you samples or writing as well, if you wish, but for now I hope you'll accept the extensive rant that has been posted so far T vT;;...sorry bout the long-ness.
*crosses fingers* yep.

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
Fiasco-Ninja
Q vQ;...this sounds kinda like a dream.

My name is Jin, and I'm 16. But hear me out before you blindfold yourself towards this comment, please. I'm an aspiring artist, who made herself an extensive storyline with too many characters to keep track of. My one true weakness is creating dialogue [and drawing manly men], though, and I have never been able to convince my friends to become as passionate as I am in storywriting. It gets kinda lonely, which is why this thread sounds awesome beyond belief.

Payment is not my main incentive. Rather, I look forwards most to the collaboration you described, as well as to drawing your charactes. I love stories, and I can listen to them for hours on end if needed. I'm always craving details.

Here is some of my art:
Example #1
Example #2
I like to think that i draw in lots of different styles. Sorta.

I can also give you samples or writing as well, if you wish, but for now I hope you'll accept the extensive rant that has been posted so far T vT;;...sorry bout the long-ness.
*crosses fingers* yep.
Oh my...your art it....its...beyond beautiful. It's the style I'm looking for! *jumps up and down screaming*

Well....as long as we wait to publish something for two years I think I can work with a minor.(please don't let there be any stupid laws about this!!!)

I would love to partner up with you.
Today was the wrong day to eat cookies for breakfast. It took about five times longer for me to reply than it should have, thanks to over-hyper-ness.

[YESSSSS~~~] I'm elated that you think my art is up to your standards o wo.

I don't think you'll have to worry about the age restrictions, since I haven't heard of any. For example, Christopher Paolini wrote Eragon when he was 15, and published within two years.

Let the partnership begin. Woop Woop!
[this feels like capturing a legendary pokemon within the first five tries v(ಥ v ಥ)v]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff