Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Goat

User Image

Hello there!
I'd like to introduce my webcomic, Circus Violet.

The story of an ordinary circus with some extraordinary performers.
You get to know their story, their life and how they ended up with the circus. The circus, which was a sanctuary for them.

In the story's centre is the relationship of Gregory (the animal tamer) and Art (illusionist). The two share a strange bond, concerning their secrets.
Things are starting to change in the circus when a new member, Clara arrives...

User Image

I recently restarted it on smackjeeves, because it needed a bit (who am I kidding, a lot) of change. Both in art and story.
I'm open to critiques and opinions. smile In fact I'd be glad if I heard what you guys are thinking.

Well I think I'll put some extra art here, just to see why I restarted the comic.

Old pages:
User Image User Image

New pages:
User Image User Image

Shadowy Phantom

The text is uncomfortable to read. Some fonts are appropriate for comic dialogue, most are not. I recommend looking at fonts that are made specifically for comic dialogue, such as those on Blambot. They're designed to be non-intrusive, easy to read, and match the fact that the comic is drawn rather than chiselled in stone xP

Good lettering feels like a part of the art while standing out enough from it to draw attention and lead the eye around the page. It's essentially invisible - the reader should simply read it and not pay attention to its existence.

Try to give the text some breathing room, and arrange the text in more comfortable blocks. Using a smaller, dialogue-oriented font should make that much easier than your gigantic Roman font. This article on bubble shape that covers both of those issues.

This might sound odd, but my favourite change from the older pages is the colour. The more reddish colour gives a nicer range of values, and is more pleasing to look at since it's not so saturated.
This is not to say that's the only good change - these pages are much better than the old ones! Your style looks like something of your very own rather than generic manga-esque, your panelling has become simpler and more effective, and your art is easier to read in general. I think these new early pages should hold up even as you continue to get better, so I hope you won't feel the need to redraw them.

Anxious Goat

Kyousouka

Thank you for the tips smile
As for the fonts, yes I know that it's not really a comic font, and I'm currently searching a font that suits the comic better. I felt that the typical comic fonts don't suit the story. But I also know that what I'm currently using is too... "strict". So I'll try to find one that's better.

And I recieved a comment on the speach bubbles before, so I'm definetly going to change that. smile

All in all, thanks for the comment! smile I appreciate it.

Shadowy Phantom

Lady pacifistEvil
As for the fonts, yes I know that it's not really a comic font, and I'm currently searching a font that suits the comic better. I felt that the typical comic fonts don't suit the story. But I also know that what I'm currently using is too... "strict". So I'll try to find one that's better.

I had the same problem with my comics as well. All the available fonts just didn't fit the tone of the story and style of the art. I ended up making my own font, and that's something I recommend doing, if you're willing to learn about typography.

I also recommend doing some hand-lettering, if not for the final comic, then at least as practice. It'll help you explore how your lettering can complement your art and give you a more solid, visual idea of fonts to look for/create. Just remember that hand-lettering isn't writing, it's drawing the letters, and has nothing to do with your handwriting. Too many artists "letter" with their handwriting.

Anxious Goat

Kyousouka
Lady pacifistEvil

Yeah that may be a good idea. To be frank I learned typography, (that's why I know that the font I use is terrible XD) And I was thinking about making my own font. I just newer got to do it. But now I'll try.

And may I ask what kind of comics are you making? smile I'd love to see it. :3

Shadowy Phantom

Lady pacifistEvil
Yeah that may be a good idea. To be frank I learned typography, (that's why I know that the font I use is terrible XD) And I was thinking about making my own font. I just newer got to do it. But now I'll try.

Your quotes were broken so I never got a notification that you replied. I'm glad I checked this thread again!

If you find a good, free/affordable font creation tool, please tell me! I use fontforge since it's free and quite powerful, but it's not without problems.

I don't have any non-ancient comics online, and my current project is not ready to be posted online yet. It's awkward that I give people crit but don't have anything to show that I'm not completely clueless ._. Sorry!

Anxious Goat

Kyousouka
Lady pacifistEvil

Your quotes were broken so I never got a notification that you replied. I'm glad I checked this thread again!

If you find a good, free/affordable font creation tool, please tell me! I use fontforge since it's free and quite powerful, but it's not without problems.

I don't have any non-ancient comics online, and my current project is not ready to be posted online yet. It's awkward that I give people crit but don't have anything to show that I'm not completely clueless ._. Sorry!

Oh sorry I didn't notice that I effd up the code... =_="
Alright, I'll definetly note you if I find one. smile

Oh, no problem. But good luck with your new proect!
And it's a good thong that you give people critiques. At least you do. biggrin It's pretty rare nowadays.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff