Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Hi! Im Ryosuke!! Im just 13...I realy like to draw mangas and comics...but this is my first step to be a manga drawer....can U guys help me with more information...oh, and i'm a girl acctually! xd 4laugh 3nodding

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
User ImageUser Image
huh....how to make an anime....true anime...

Rainbow Pusher

1. A drawer is a type of very useful furniture. A person who draws is an artist, not a piece of furniture. (This happens to be a pet peeve of mine.)

2. Many people are girls. Theoretically, the world is 50% female.

3. What exactly are you looking for help with? You appear to already be a better artist than I was at 13, so you're clearly on the right path. Continue learning anatomy (you have to draw hands, even if they're a pain), backgrounds, etc and you'll do great. One thing I might suggest you do is to study layouts of pages from comics you like. Your 2nd image there appears very cluttered and I haven't a clue what's going on.

And an "anime" is simply an animated cartoon. For which you'd need to learn how to use animation software, get some experience with working with voice actors, etc. Not my area of dilatory expertise I'm afraid.

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
thanks....that's nice
First off, kudos for going out and starting to make a comic. It takes guts and dedication, but it can be really rewarding.

So, what's the premise of your comic? Don't have to give us the whole thing, just a line or two explaining the general idea of it.

I'm guessing it's a story about 18 boys?

1) I'd caution against that. 4 characters is a lot to handle for most writers. 18 is going to be crazy, especially if they're all part of one story line. If you could narrow it down, you'd save yourself a lot of time, effort, and headaches.

2) Have you seen American Dad? They had an episode with B12 or B11 or something, with a boy band with twelve members. If your story is similar, people will most likely point that out.

Art-wise, a couple things:

I'm guessing you're trying to introduce all 18 characters? If that's the case, it's really confusing as to what their names actually are. Most have two names in each box, and they're both crossed out, which makes it hard to read. The only thing I can read consistently is 'Ryusuke', which is kinda confusing since it's in all of them. If that's your signature, just put it once at the bottom of the whole page, not in every single box. You gotta remember, this is a comic. It's words and pictures working together. Tell the story. If this page is about learning their names, then those names are very important and should be easy to read and understand.

Another problem you're having is that a lot of the characters look really, really similar. The two in the bottom left corner, for example, have the same black hair and the same red and white stripes. Since you're only going black and red, you lose a lot of options for making them different, like a blue shirt guy, or a brown haired guy. With so many characters, you need to really work at making them individuals. (Or you could just cut down the amount of characters, it'll make your life waaaaay easier whee )

I'd bet dollars against rubles that you're eyeballing (ie looking at another drawing and copying it). Now, there's nothing wrong with that at your age. When I was thirteen I did that too. I'm sure most of us here did. And if it helps you, use it. Whatever works for you.

But.

Start looking into learning how to draw. Go to a bookstore, the library, there's tons of tutorials and sites on the internet. First, I'd recommend learning how to see the body as shapes. Once you start understanding basic shapes, building a person from your imagination is a lot easier. Eyeballing can get your through a lot of things, but what happens if your story calls for something you can't find a picture of and you have to draw it from your head?

If you were older, I'd recommend life drawing (drawing real life things as you actually see them) but you're young, and drawing should be fun! If you love anime and manga style, then go for that! There are hundreds of how to draw manga books, and one or two of those would help you understand basic construction, which is a big first step and would help you a lot.

I know I can sometimes come off as harsh, but I really don't mean to. It's great that you're making a comic! Keep at it, and with a couple tweaks you could have something really great!

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Amazon
First off, kudos for going out and starting to make a comic. It takes guts and dedication, but it can be really rewarding.

So, what's the premise of your comic? Don't have to give us the whole thing, just a line or two explaining the general idea of it.

I'm guessing it's a story about 18 boys?

1) I'd caution against that. 4 characters is a lot to handle for most writers. 18 is going to be crazy, especially if they're all part of one story line. If you could narrow it down, you'd save yourself a lot of time, effort, and headaches.

2) Have you seen American Dad? They had an episode with B12 or B11 or something, with a boy band with twelve members. If your story is similar, people will most likely point that out.

Art-wise, a couple things:

I'm guessing you're trying to introduce all 18 characters? If that's the case, it's really confusing as to what their names actually are. Most have two names in each box, and they're both crossed out, which makes it hard to read. The only thing I can read consistently is 'Ryusuke', which is kinda confusing since it's in all of them. If that's your signature, just put it once at the bottom of the whole page, not in every single box. You gotta remember, this is a comic. It's words and pictures working together. Tell the story. If this page is about learning their names, then those names are very important and should be easy to read and understand.

Another problem you're having is that a lot of the characters look really, really similar. The two in the bottom left corner, for example, have the same black hair and the same red and white stripes. Since you're only going black and red, you lose a lot of options for making them different, like a blue shirt guy, or a brown haired guy. With so many characters, you need to really work at making them individuals. (Or you could just cut down the amount of characters, it'll make your life waaaaay easier whee )

I'd bet dollars against rubles that you're eyeballing (ie looking at another drawing and copying it). Now, there's nothing wrong with that at your age. When I was thirteen I did that too. I'm sure most of us here did. And if it helps you, use it. Whatever works for you.

But.

Start looking into learning how to draw. Go to a bookstore, the library, there's tons of tutorials and sites on the internet. First, I'd recommend learning how to see the body as shapes. Once you start understanding basic shapes, building a person from your imagination is a lot easier. Eyeballing can get your through a lot of things, but what happens if your story calls for something you can't find a picture of and you have to draw it from your head?

If you were older, I'd recommend life drawing (drawing real life things as you actually see them) but you're young, and drawing should be fun! If you love anime and manga style, then go for that! There are hundreds of how to draw manga books, and one or two of those would help you understand basic construction, which is a big first step and would help you a lot.

I know I can sometimes come off as harsh, but I really don't mean to. It's great that you're making a comic! Keep at it, and with a couple tweaks you could have something really great!

I'm just okay with 18...my first cimic was acctually 24....

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Oh man, those are 18 characters? I though they were the same two with a few supporting characters tossed in.

My take on this: don't do it. 18 is waaaay too large of a cast for a first comic. You won't be able to make them distinct enough in either appearance or personality to even warrant the need for 18 characters.

The best way to figure out how many you need is put forth your plot. What is the conflict, what characters does it most effect? Can this scene be done by someone already in the main cast? If not, would it be plausible for a supporting character to do it?

Supporting characters are important and just as loved(sometimes more so) as the main cast...but that doesn't mean they should be part of the main cast too. A lot of new writers don't realize this.

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
i'm just fine...don't worry,,, 4laugh
The first picture looks much better than the rest, did you trace it?

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
cuz the first one is my last drawing

Shadowy Phantom

18 characters is overkill. Even if you can keep track of them, most readers will not, and won't care to try.

It's hard enough to come up with one compelling, interesting character. What makes you so confident you can come up with 18 characters worth caring about?

Even if you can, however, there's still the problem of your art.

I don't think you're ready to draw a comic with so many characters for the sole reason that everyone you draw looks the same. A slight difference in hair style doesn't make a character look unique, especially to people who don't know what differences to look for (that is, your entire readership). You will need to use every trick in the book to distinguish between 18 characters. Body proportions/shapes should be your primary tool, followed by distinct facial features/shapes. Colours (or rather, values) are very helpful, but won't help if your characters all have the same body shapes and identical faces.

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
that's why i need help!!... xd

Shadowy Phantom

But what specifically do you want help on? We've given you information on what you're doing wrong/ineffectively, it's up to you to correct/improve it. We can't do your work for you.
Be patient with your work. Just try to really round out a few characters for the reader. Also if you are dead set on 18 characters or however many; when you draw them focus a bit more on the personality so you can adjust their appearance so you don't have a bunch of "cookie cutter" designs in your story.

But as far as I am concerned you are doing well for 13. Keep it up. O^_^O
Artistically speaking, you need to focus on faces.
Mother of god, you need to work on those faces.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff