Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
I seriously need a project to work on outside of university. If you, a friend, or a random acquaintance have a story that's scripted and ready to go please consider me.

I can do 4-koma, manga style, american strip style and korean webtoon format.

Here's a link to the ol' gallery- Ahoy!

Shadowy Phantom

Do you have any comic samples? A couple of pages of comics are often much better indicators of what you can do in a comic than an entire gallery of non-comic work.
There's more to drawing a comic than just following a script (especially when working with writers who aren't well-versed in the visual aspects of comicking), and even a short comic would show what your composition and visual pacing skills are like.

I realise it's a catch-22: Needing a script to make a comic, needing a comic to get a script. You'll probably get some writers even without having comic samples, though they're less likely to be experienced*. So, don't worry too much about this.

But if you do want to make a comic sample and possibly get feedback on how to get it better (without a writer in the way to put the blame on), can also create your own short comic of 2-6 pages. Adapt a scene from a movie or book, or draw a comic based on an existing comic script. Or, best of all, create an original short scene and draw that. The best writers to work with are those who can think like artists, and the best artists to work with are those who can think like writers. Might as well practice those skills too ;D

* There's nothing wrong with working with inexperienced writers. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it's a great opportunity for both people. However, an inexperienced writer won't be able to be as helpful or demanding, and likely won't be a very tight storycrafter. Unfortunately, their writing ability is likely to influence how portfolio reviewers perceive the comic, so working with a writer who doesn't write well can be more detrimental than helpful.
You can certainly more than make up for their lack of skill with a critical eye and a strong knowledge of comicking and writing, but from your gallery, I suspect you do not yet have that. You will develop these skills as you work with good and bad writers alike, just remember to keep a critical eye, and don't ever be a slave to your writer. Many writers, especially inexperienced ones, but even some professionals, make unreasonable requests because they don't think visually enough. Fight them when you need to, and make a better comic than they could imagine!

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Thanks for the advice. I've done some comic work previously for some "inexperienced writers" but the run got canceled. In the gallery there are samples of my comic work. If you'd like specific links to point them out I don't mind.

Kyousouka
Do you have any comic samples? A couple of pages of comics are often much better indicators of what you can do in a comic than an entire gallery of non-comic work.
There's more to drawing a comic than just following a script (especially when working with writers who aren't well-versed in the visual aspects of comicking), and even a short comic would show what your composition and visual pacing skills are like.

I realise it's a catch-22: Needing a script to make a comic, needing a comic to get a script. You'll probably get some writers even without having comic samples, though they're less likely to be experienced*. So, don't worry too much about this.

But if you do want to make a comic sample and possibly get feedback on how to get it better (without a writer in the way to put the blame on), can also create your own short comic of 2-6 pages. Adapt a scene from a movie or book, or draw a comic based on an existing comic script. Or, best of all, create an original short scene and draw that. The best writers to work with are those who can think like artists, and the best artists to work with are those who can think like writers. Might as well practice those skills too ;D

* There's nothing wrong with working with inexperienced writers. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it's a great opportunity for both people. However, an inexperienced writer won't be able to be as helpful or demanding, and likely won't be a very tight storycrafter. Unfortunately, their writing ability is likely to influence how portfolio reviewers perceive the comic, so working with a writer who doesn't write well can be more detrimental than helpful.
You can certainly more than make up for their lack of skill with a critical eye and a strong knowledge of comicking and writing, but from your gallery, I suspect you do not yet have that. You will develop these skills as you work with good and bad writers alike, just remember to keep a critical eye, and don't ever be a slave to your writer. Many writers, especially inexperienced ones, but even some professionals, make unreasonable requests because they don't think visually enough. Fight them when you need to, and make a better comic than they could imagine!

Shadowy Phantom

filigree hummingbird
Thanks for the advice. I've done some comic work previously for some "inexperienced writers" but the run got canceled. In the gallery there are samples of my comic work. If you'd like specific links to point them out I don't mind.

I am not looking for an artist (I'm drawing my own thing), but I think it would benefit you to link to the most appropriate samples directly (pages, and a couple of your strongest illustrations), than to just give a link to your gallery (and to one specific work from it, at that - not a good idea).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff