Welcome to Gaia! ::

450 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
If your drawings aren't up to snuff, write a story that doesn't require fancy refined drawings. Not all stories have to be about teenaged angels and devils going at it in an epic galactic battle over the power of magic.

For example, white ninja! http://www.whiteninjacomics.com/
skimlines
If your drawings aren't up to snuff, write a story that doesn't require fancy refined drawings. Not all stories have to be about teenaged angels and devils going at it in an epic galactic battle over the power of magic.

White Ninja, and other comics with "primitive" art and surreal humor (like L&R), only work because the creators are legitimately funny and are competent enough artists that they know how to lay out comic panels, pace a joke, etc. There may actually be more skill required in making a radically simplified comic than in making a complicated one, because there is no built-in visual appeal to draw in the reader and keep him there. Everything else has to be ratcheted up to very high levels and your average comic creator isn't going to be able to pull that off.
I remembered the time when I was like you, can't wait to start a graphic novel. My art wasn't the most appealing that time, but I went and tried doing one anyway. In fact, it's the furthest I've ever gone since it's just pencil and paper. But throughout the whole process, I've learned so much and improved really quickly. Especially when you have people close to you who you could share them with, makes it all the more motivating. Throughout the whole process, you'll be able to find your limitations and strengths. It'll give you an idea, what's expected, how demanding the whole process can be and it gets you to think how you can improve. Like some people already said here, drawing a graphic novel early on does give you more opportunity to force you to draw a variety of poses and different camera views. And yes, the story, the pace and the presentation is not as easy to master, especially when the goal is to appeal to an audience(not yourself, we all know it's easy to please ourselves xD).

For now, your art isn't ready for anything too serious. That's not something lots of practice can't fix. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy making a graphic novel for the fun of it smile Best of luck.
well im not sure wat to say!
o-o
but even if u think u cant do it try and if u still think u cant do it train till u finnaly can do it!
(i actually want to be a futur mangeyeko to)

3,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
You need to work on your anatomy and expressions. Also Perspective
It helps a lot more if you understand the way the body moves and how the muscles contract to movement.
It'll also help a lot more if you draw an array of expression's that your character does [happy, sad, angry, laughing, crying, shy...etc]

If you don't understand how to draw people in different poses or facial structures[EX;; eyes]you may just end like hiding it by a layer of hair or having the body bent in an impossible way.

You're art is great, don't get me wrong. Just keep on practicing on your anatomy, facial features and expressions you'll get alot better in upcoming years.

I also suggest practicing perspective. Helps alot in the long run. n_n

2,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Overstocked 200
Kupocake
I'm going to have to disagree. Drawing a comic at an inexperienced skill level becomes completely frustrating. If the OP is working solo, not only will she have to deal with the conventions of script writing, she'll also have to worry about storytelling, panel transitions, page composition, layout, pacing, readability, etc. and naturally, the art itself.

In my opinion, sequential art is one of the hardest art forms to "get." A project that starts off as fun quickly gets thrown away because of lack of skill and/or experience. Let the aspiring comic artist work on their technical drawing skills first before tackling the nuances of the comic art form. It will be far more enjoyable and "fun" in the end.

The best way to learn is by doing it.

Okay, for the artist in question:

Like people say, work on your art. My suggestions is this: Write the story down on paper before anything else. Then the characters. Just write ideas until you know what you will draw. Then do character sheets. Don't just do posing front characters, do a quick turnaround for each character: side, front, back. Then for each, do basic expressions, such as happy, sad, angry, etc. You don't have to be perfect with these. After this, do quick scene sketches with background. pay more attention to the background than the characters, and make sure that the backgrounds are some you will put in your stories.

If you can do all these, then the comic will come easy and your art will quickly improve. If you can't do these, then you aren't ready for comic art.
your drawing is a bit stiff.. like when you put it to an animation, they will only move facing one direction only.. so yeah, i suggest learn a bit from anatomy.. believe me, up til now, i'm still having problems drawing different hand positions.. D;
Hi :3
You have room to grow :3 but we all do ^_^
If you are really wanting tackle something like this, I am going to agree with those who tell you to just try. I know when I think about setting up my pages, I go back and look at mangas that I can't put down. Figure out why I like their style of art and what kind of panels they use :3 I learn alot by looking at others work and taking from it what I like best and mushing it in with my style :3
Good luck heart
ElfinNissa
Use the comic to practice the things you need to work on. It's easier to practice if you have some sort of end goal. If it works, great, if it doesn't, whatever. Don't feel too tied down to the project if you decide you hate your art/storytelling later.

Don't expect a breakout hit at this point though.

All the previous statements and posts have been very informative and helpful but I'd just like to add something of my own.

A very close person to me heart (you know who you are), who's love is writing and is currently taking creative writing as a course, has told me that there's always a shitty first draft. 99% are shitty first drafts, and 1% of that is pure gold. This just means you need effort and the will to go with it if you're aiming to get something noticed. (between the lines: Don't give up at the first few tries! 3nodding )

Other people have been saying improve your skills or try making a comic, etc. Those are all very true but this point is also important. You can't really expect your first try to be successful. It may take time or more projects.

And, haha, I too am I hopeful comic/mangaka. At least, for a hobby so I'm not concentrating on it too much. You can probably allot more time for yourself. If you want lol you can see the "evolution" of my works here : nonecansee.deviantart

As for real advice, I would suggest sketching during your free time, doodle, if you must (hey! it's a great way to conserve scratch paper. I know I did xd ) and get a good background of many comics and mangas out there. Read up, search, explore. Web comics, newspaper comics, mangas, even anime and cartoons biggrin . It may feel like copying stuff from other people, which it is xd , but it will also help you develop your own style, and thus breakaway from copying things whee

Lastly, you're welcome to ask for critique just like now. Lots of people will be sure to help you out wink Good luck to all us aspiring artists!
Smegma Princess
skimlines

White Ninja, and other comics with "primitive" art and surreal humor (like L&R), only work because the creators are legitimately funny and are competent enough artists that they know how to lay out comic panels, pace a joke, etc. There may actually be more skill required in making a radically simplified comic than in making a complicated one, because there is no built-in visual appeal to draw in the reader and keep him there. Everything else has to be ratcheted up to very high levels and your average comic creator isn't going to be able to pull that off.

I want to say, if you're out to make a comic, then figure out first what it's for. What are it's strengths, its purpose, etc. What exactly you want to say with it. What exactly you want to do with it.

Take Phoenix Requiem for example, the art style is quite realistic and the plot line is serious. Fits, doesn't it?
And then there's Bittersweet Candy Bowl, the artist only drew his earlier pages with a marker, and currently, I think he still does and only renders them in some image-altering shop. The drawing style is simplistic, childish even but he can relay the character personalities well with it and also convey the alternately dramatic and comedic story lines. He doesn't seem to have any other background information about previous works other than this.
And! *one of the coolest I've seen* Subnormality. He doesn't update regularly like most webcomics but he always has something to say when he does smile His art isn't always consistent either razz I believe he's the kind of comic artist who experiments.

Hope this slew of web comics helps you out too 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces