Welcome to Gaia! ::

008ken_ichijouji
Midnight_Tarot
008ken_ichijouji
Midnight_Tarot
I'm currently trying to make one but it isn't easy...
since i do it alone story art and such i need to think of very carefully

Same here! I wish I had an assistant. HAHAHA!

Haha me too!
You could ask a good friend who is interested to help you if he/she wants ^^ it would be a boost~

Very true! I'm not so sure my friends are interested in my stuff though....mostly into their own things! haha

try asking them about it. who knows they might get interested

Lowkei's Husband

King Lunatic

19,525 Points
  • Master Librarian 500
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
008ken_ichijouji
bluealaris
Hey Ken! I work on a web-comic currently with my partner-in-crime. We actually use both digital and traditional- though as for how well it mixes is up to the viewer I suppose. Anyway-- my partner does most of the digital work and I have recently been doing all the writing/thumbnailing/splash pages. Thumbing traditionally and even lining it makes everything a lot easier! In fact- I've done several pages entirely in watercolor and our watchers don't seem to mind. I think the two can be mixed very happily!

Here's our comic, if you're interested! We just finished our second chapter. Oscura

I'd be very interested in seeing your work as well- I always like to see the two mediums meshing.

Hi, Blue! I took a look at your stuff. VERY nice, awesome style. I love the splash pages. I think it's quite impressive. I'm jealous of how much you have done. And that you have a partner helping you. HAHAHA

I haven't gotten much done (college took a huge bite outta my art life), but here are two pages I tested out. First time on digital stuff, so no making fun. Haha. I have a long way to go. Drawn and inked traditionally, but toned digitally.

First page test: http://008kenichijouji.deviantart.com/gallery/9048937?offset=24#/d366pv8
Second page test: http://008kenichijouji.deviantart.com/gallery/9048937#/d47tgj0

Aw yeah, having a partner is awesome. I like this style you're starting to nurture- to be honest, I've always preferred the way hand drawn inks look as opposed to the computer style- just like the difference between watercolor textures and digitally painted look better to me too. Do you have more of this?
bluealaris
008ken_ichijouji

Hi, Blue! I took a look at your stuff. VERY nice, awesome style. I love the splash pages. I think it's quite impressive. I'm jealous of how much you have done. And that you have a partner helping you. HAHAHA

I haven't gotten much done (college took a huge bite outta my art life), but here are two pages I tested out. First time on digital stuff, so no making fun. Haha. I have a long way to go. Drawn and inked traditionally, but toned digitally.

First page test: http://008kenichijouji.deviantart.com/gallery/9048937?offset=24#/d366pv8
Second page test: http://008kenichijouji.deviantart.com/gallery/9048937#/d47tgj0

Aw yeah, having a partner is awesome. I like this style you're starting to nurture- to be honest, I've always preferred the way hand drawn inks look as opposed to the computer style- just like the difference between watercolor textures and digitally painted look better to me too. Do you have more of this?

Yup. I needs a partner. Haha.

Thanks! I prefer hand-inking as well. Gives the artwork a more textured and personal feel....

I am almost done inking the third page, but still have to tone it...I have sketches galore! But....yeah...I'm slow. HAHA. Here's more of my sketching if you're interested, plus storyboards (that probably only make sense to me because they are hurriedly sketched haha): http://008kenichijouji.deviantart.com/gallery/9048937

5,600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm currently working on a Manga/Comic myself.
All the story line's and illustration's are going to be done by me.
It's like "Steamboy" meets "Ghost in a Shell" kinda Manga/Comic.
The feel and look of the World is like "Steamboy", though
the technologies and such are of "Ghost in a Shell" like. The only
problem I'm having is coming up with names for my characters.
I know some of you have an inspiration that drives you to making
your own Manga/Comic, mine is from Mark Crilley (creator of "Miki Falls"
and "Brody's Ghost" ). My style is somewhat similar to his, which I find
interesting. Sometime soon, I'll post up something I drew and you guys
can see for yourselves.
Hyperion Balmung
I'm currently working on a Manga/Comic myself.
All the story line's and illustration's are going to be done by me.
It's like "Steamboy" meets "Ghost in a Shell" kinda Manga/Comic.
The feel and look of the World is like "Steamboy", though
the technologies and such are of "Ghost in a Shell" like. The only
problem I'm having is coming up with names for my characters.
I know some of you have an inspiration that drives you to making
your own Manga/Comic, mine is from Mark Crilley (creator of "Miki Falls"
and "Brody's Ghost" ). My style is somewhat similar to his, which I find
interesting. Sometime soon, I'll post up something I drew and you guys
can see for yourselves.

Cool! Post soon! I'm interested.

For character names, I try to think of something rare, but random. I usually go with whatever pops into my head first, and write some fake dialogue (in my head) to see if the name fits. It's my way of coming up with names. HAHA. Sometimes I find that I can add other elements to the story by just picking a random name and running with it. smile
Thumbnailing
I thumbnail digitally using photoshop essentials. Using tracing paper to thumbnail is also something I recommend people to try because how much mileage you can get out of folding and layering and flipping the paper. It's transparency is a major boon when it comes to planning layouts, and opacity sliders in a digital painting program are an equivalent but they're definitely not a replacement.

Colorscript
Since I work in color, after I am done with the thumbnailing I test-run it by doing a rough draft without any lineart to speak of. At this point I plug in all the visual elements that are meant to influence the composition and then I throw this rough draft at people. I do this digitally, and for me the coloring is kind of a blast, but I don't really invest a lot of effort into this stage, except to establish pacing, paneling, body language, dialogue.

Sketching and Inking
After I am satisfied with what I have (or I have a duedate to balk at) I digitally sketch and ink what the pages are. Then I go get them printed out to traditionally color them.

Coloring
I watercolor and I use colored pencil as a buffer against places I definitely don't want the watercolor to seep in to. I also use white acrylic paint as a sort of fade effect and a highlighter. Between myself and my roommate, we probably have over 50 different colors of copic markers, so I really do want to use them, if I can come up with a look that will be compatible with the watercoloring.

End goal
By December I need to have between 20 and 30 pages worth of full-color comic. I am doing the first chapter of a number of chapters (5), so in the end I might have 100 - 150 pages, or maybe more. Who knows? It's a comic that's about smuggling goods across the Ukraine biggrin . I have had to do more research than I care to think of, blargh, and I'm still obsessively error-checking.

2,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I was tempted to post the link to my webcomic, but every else's are so well done. @_@;
You're also your own worst critic. Post a link here!
Mr Heatmiser
Thumbnailing
I thumbnail digitally using photoshop essentials. Using tracing paper to thumbnail is also something I recommend people to try because how much mileage you can get out of folding and layering and flipping the paper. It's transparency is a major boon when it comes to planning layouts, and opacity sliders in a digital painting program are an equivalent but they're definitely not a replacement.

Colorscript
Since I work in color, after I am done with the thumbnailing I test-run it by doing a rough draft without any lineart to speak of. At this point I plug in all the visual elements that are meant to influence the composition and then I throw this rough draft at people. I do this digitally, and for me the coloring is kind of a blast, but I don't really invest a lot of effort into this stage, except to establish pacing, paneling, body language, dialogue.

Sketching and Inking
After I am satisfied with what I have (or I have a duedate to balk at) I digitally sketch and ink what the pages are. Then I go get them printed out to traditionally color them.

Coloring
I watercolor and I use colored pencil as a buffer against places I definitely don't want the watercolor to seep in to. I also use white acrylic paint as a sort of fade effect and a highlighter. Between myself and my roommate, we probably have over 50 different colors of copic markers, so I really do want to use them, if I can come up with a look that will be compatible with the watercoloring.

End goal
By December I need to have between 20 and 30 pages worth of full-color comic. I am doing the first chapter of a number of chapters (5), so in the end I might have 100 - 150 pages, or maybe more. Who knows? It's a comic that's about smuggling goods across the Ukraine biggrin . I have had to do more research than I care to think of, blargh, and I'm still obsessively error-checking.

Whoa, that sounds awesome! Quite the regimentation you have too...... :]

Any samples? I'd especially like to see pics of each stage too, if you can manage. I'd imagine the details and research would be CRAZY for the genre and topic you are into!!!! But it's worth it in the end I'm sure!
StrangeWells
I was tempted to post the link to my webcomic, but every else's are so well done. @_@;

DO IT. Everyone's got their own style and everyone's at a different stage, so it's okay! :]

7,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
i do comics and im glad to say im pro at it( not trying to brag)
but manga is ofr the higher class i,ve been thinking about doing it actually
were all diffrent but its all cool we all draw diffrent mostly anime so im glad to say im looking forward to seeing if your drawling can beat mine but here is a page of my gaia comicUser Image i do both paper and cpu
008ken_ichijouji
Whoa, that sounds awesome! Quite the regimentation you have too...... :]

Any samples? I'd especially like to see pics of each stage too, if you can manage. I'd imagine the details and research would be CRAZY for the genre and topic you are into!!!! But it's worth it in the end I'm sure!

User Image

Obviously I'm not done but, there is something for you.

I've done most of my reading. Now, it's lots of herping and derping on Google Maps at this point, and to clamp down on details like hairstyle trends and clothing I watch movies filmed/set in that time. Which, is the most pain in the a** I can think of to do. I hate to do the whole, like, narration style where it's all, "MAY 1, 1995!" so you can tell in one shot when it is? Narration boxes, whatever. So I was like, "Hm, big cities are terrifying ad jungles. Maybe if I just slap some ads for the New 1996 <Car Brand>" and a movie everybody knew to come out in the nineties in panels you can't possibly miss, we'll be mostly golden!" So, today I wasted an hour trying to figure out what movies came out in Russia in 1995 that Americans'd recognize since my target audience is American anyway (Answer: None of them) and went 'AUGH FORGET IT. THERE'S A LION KING POSTER IN HERE NOW." Herp, and derp.

Sweet Singing

Mr Heatmiser
"Nie znasz tedy sprawy i mieszasz się do niej!...

Wow, that looks great ;A; I really want to see finished version ~!

Though if its about 'smuggling goods across the Ukraine' , shouldnt name of the school be written in ukrainian alphabet? Or it starts in other place and then they go to Ukraine?

... Kubusiu, to nie jest ani wedle rozsądku,
ani wedle sprawiedliwości, ani wedle zasad. "
Lady Ignea
Mr Heatmiser
"Nie znasz tedy sprawy i mieszasz się do niej!...

Wow, that looks great ;A; I really want to see finished version ~!

Though if its about 'smuggling goods across the Ukraine' , shouldnt name of the school be written in ukrainian alphabet? Or it starts in other place and then they go to Ukraine?

... Kubusiu, to nie jest ani wedle rozsądku,
ani wedle sprawiedliwości, ani wedle zasad. "

Right, the student is going to school in Poland. I looked for schools in the Ukraine first but I honestly wasn't very happy with what I found. I put him there so he has a wide list of contacts from all sorts of places. Really any good/big university will achieve that but I was also looking for a certain major, and it was SGGW or the refigeration school in St. Petersburg.

If you want to watch it get made, http://theconzor.tumblr.com is what I use to keep all of it.

Sweet Singing

008ken_ichijouji

Nice style! I wanted to read the dialogue bubbles!!!!! Hahaha. Post the link when you put your comic up, okay?
"W życiu nie ma kresu, do którego musisz dojść - ...

[HERE] it is C:

... - i to jest ważniejsze od tysiąca wymyślonych sensów. "

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas