Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'd like to start a discussion about manga/comic making! I'm most curious about others' story ideas, drawing styles, and their tips.

I use both traditional and digital techniques (draw/ink traditionally, add tone digitally). I'm starting to make test pages to get the feel for Manga Studio 3 and 4, as well as Photoshop. I don't do well on the computer though (screen hurts my eyes within 20-30 minutes) so I have to work quickly. If anyone has any time saving tips, I'd be very grateful!

Also, share your work! I will share mine as well if anyone really makes the discussion worth while.

Please no maligning of others' comments/artwork/style/etc. It really does no good for you or the person you target, and truly is a waste of time. Please make good use of your time before it expires.

Thanks! :]

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Considering this is CC, many of us make comics. ....Well I do suppose the ratio of people wanting to make their own comic to the ones actually making it are pretty sad...

I draw traditionally, and do everything else in Photoshop.

Beloved Giver

5,950 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Im working on one right now..I have to do it on paper cuz i dont have a tablet.It's really hard that way 'cause the pencil lead smears and you have to erase a lot. You have to make the lines darker if you don't make it dark enough,too....It hurts ur eyes 10x more than a comp screen when ur doing 2-5 pgs at the same time.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
I'm working on one right now, still working out every kink and problem with the plot. I drew over a hundred comic pages in the last 2 years, but they weren't very good and were for a rather unfruitful tournament. But, I learned a lot about the comic-making process thanks to the many hours I worked on that thing.

As for figuring out what's faster for you, it's really a matter of figuring out the problems of your own workflow. Do you draw faster on paper? Do you prefer the digital look? How many hours per day can you dedicate to drawing/writing comics? It kind of goes on like that. I personally do my thumbnails on paper, sketches on Photoshop, inks on Manga Studio, and colors/lettering back on Photoshop.
I draw my mangas and ink them traditionally. I'll correct major issues with a white paint marker. After that I take it into photoshop and add screens. After everything is fixed up, I'll add the text bubbles and text. Certain errors are corrected in Photoshop, as well as artwork that might have been done after the page was completed that I wanted to add to the original. It saves a lot of time to just draw separately and add it if possible.

Desirable Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I am working on two continuous stories right now and on three short one-shot stories. Two of which are to be published and one to go to a contest.

I tend to work mostly traditionally. Only using the comp for clean up and putting them together. Checking margins and such. I always write my script as I do the thumbs. Only going back and fixing the layouts and text as I have finished a chapter in thumbnail form. Then I sketch and ink and then I tend to be done as I work in black and white.
Do you have your stuff up online? Any examples? What's your stuff about?

Fashionable Survivor

I have a number of comics in progress, for most of them I'm waiting for my bestfriend (Creative Writing Major) to start the stories.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
008ken_ichijouji
My comic is here. It's about an evil overlord that's not very good at being evil.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Getting to the fastest workflow always takes a little trail and error. >_> I have a really hard time going quickly on all-digital comics...

Boy Aurus is done all traditional except for the word balloons. I wish I had the time/patience/skill to do hand lettering for a more cohesive look, but I don't. >_<' But it's the closest to consistently updated I can manage on a long-form comic compared to all my long-form all-digital comics. Or maybe it's just that I don't do any B&W or grayscale comics digitally. Boy Aurus would probably take twenty times longer if I did it in full-color with watercolor. I envy people who do their comics in watercolor...
Seijaku_Ishida
008ken_ichijouji
My comic is here. It's about an evil overlord that's not very good at being evil.

Awesome style! I haven't seen anything quite like it.
Kaxen
Getting to the fastest workflow always takes a little trail and error. >_> I have a really hard time going quickly on all-digital comics...

Boy Aurus is done all traditional except for the word balloons. I wish I had the time/patience/skill to do hand lettering for a more cohesive look, but I don't. >_<' But it's the closest to consistently updated I can manage on a long-form comic compared to all my long-form all-digital comics. Or maybe it's just that I don't do any B&W or grayscale comics digitally. Boy Aurus would probably take twenty times longer if I did it in full-color with watercolor. I envy people who do their comics in watercolor...

Cool! I've never known anyone who does comics all traditional! Very nice look. Now long does it typically take to finish a page?
I've done a couple short comics over the years, and I am currently trying to come out of a six year hiatus from writing and drawing comics to put together a political drama/thriller type story. I'm currently working on getting the script (or at least a detailed summary) together and character designs.

I plan to do he entire thing digitally- drawing, coloring, and lettering in Painter Classic.
LostPriestess
I've done a couple short comics over the years, and I am currently trying to come out of a six year hiatus from writing and drawing comics to put together a political drama/thriller type story. I'm currently working on getting the script (or at least a detailed summary) together and character designs.

I plan to do he entire thing digitally- drawing, coloring, and lettering in Painter Classic.

Awesome. Why the hiatus? writer's block?
008ken_ichijouji

Awesome. Why the hiatus? writer's block?

It was a little bit of writers block, but it was mostly just life taking me in other directions. At the time I was doing the comics, I wanted to be a professional artist. When I decided that political science and law are my true callings in life, the comics had to take a back seat and eventually just died out.
Now, I've got a touch of free time, and I do still love to write and draw, so I figured it was time to spare some free time to get back into the old hobby.
The current story that I'm working on is very political driven, so I'm looking forward to getting to put what I know to artistic use, in addition to practical.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff