Welcome to Gaia! ::

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
I'm going to start doing extra pages (as a hobby) for comics I really like. Kinda like extra scenes that I think might add to the narrative. Can anyone who's been down this road before give me any pointers? I've been drawing and practicing art in general for a long time, just never tried professional-grade illustration like this before. I'm aiming for a quality that looks consistent with the books from a layman's point of view.
I'm a bit confused - extra pages to add to the narrative of comics that already exist?
Well... OK, I think it'd make more sense to me if you did your own comics or so, but if you've never done comics before, there's plenty to keep in mind in the world of sequential art, aside from just the regular techniques of art... continuity, storytelling clarity through images, camera angle choices, establishing shots, stage blocking and location tagging, the 180 degree rule, word balloons, etc.
I'd be happy to look over and critique your comics, feel free to ask me anything.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Shadowolf
I'm a bit confused - extra pages to add to the narrative of comics that already exist?
Well... OK, I think it'd make more sense to me if you did your own comics or so, but if you've never done comics before, there's plenty to keep in mind in the world of sequential art, aside from just the regular techniques of art... continuity, storytelling clarity through images, camera angle choices, establishing shots, stage blocking and location tagging, the 180 degree rule, word balloons, etc.
I'd be happy to look over and critique your comics, feel free to ask me anything.
Yes that's right. To expand and pay homage to the characters I love. I'm confident enough in my skill if I don't rush, it's just my imagination is terrible most of the time, so I'd likely find it far more difficult to create my own comic where I've no world setting reference and no character references.

For example, I want to add a scene in Red Hood & The Outlaws Issue #2, on Page 19 between panels 3 and 4 (final panel), showing Jason having a flashback to when he was training with the people he's just killed in the Hundred Acres of All realm. I know they kinda do it briefly on Page 18 but hey, this is just what I'm choosing to draw. I think that realm warrants more pages, it's awesome and you only get a dabble of an explanation on their culture and customs.

And okay do you use kik or something? I could either send it to you there when I've finished it or just quote you on gaia somewhere...
BRAZEKOOL
Shadowolf
Yes that's right. To expand and pay homage to the characters I love. I'm confident enough in my skill if I don't rush, it's just my imagination is terrible most of the time, so I'd likely find it far more difficult to create my own comic where I've no world setting reference and no character references.

For example, I want to add a scene in Red Hood & The Outlaws Issue #2, on Page 19 between panels 3 and 4 (final panel), showing Jason having a flashback to when he was training with the people he's just killed in the Hundred Acres of All realm. I know they kinda do it briefly on Page 18 but hey, this is just what I'm choosing to draw. I think that realm warrants more pages, it's awesome and you only get a dabble of an explanation on their culture and customs.

And okay do you use kik or something? I could either send it to you there when I've finished it or just quote you on gaia somewhere...

Well, I may not be able to give a completely thorough critique since I haven't followed that series, or what Jason Todd's been up to lately. I can try to dig up a copy online later for reference.

I don't have Kik. Yeah, you can go ahead and quote me on Gaia, I'll definitely see it. Depending how complex, long, etc you make it, I might do an audio critique, maybe upload it on Vocaroo or something.

And if ya ever wanna do comics on your own, esp. to hone your skills, I was was taught by starting with an autobiographical story (that you can exaggerate if you wish into a new world or whatever). Just something to think about in the future, if you want to do more comics. =3

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Shadowolf
BRAZEKOOL
Shadowolf

Well, I may not be able to give a completely thorough critique since I haven't followed that series, or what Jason Todd's been up to lately. I can try to dig up a copy online later for reference.

I don't have Kik. Yeah, you can go ahead and quote me on Gaia, I'll definitely see it. Depending how complex, long, etc you make it, I might do an audio critique, maybe upload it on Vocaroo or something.

And if ya ever wanna do comics on your own, esp. to hone your skills, I was was taught by starting with an autobiographical story (that you can exaggerate if you wish into a new world or whatever). Just something to think about in the future, if you want to do more comics. =3

I expected it to be a poor line, but for me it turned out to be one of the strongest lines that tie-in with the Bat-family. I definitely recommend reading the #0 and maybe the first 3 issues before making up your mind on it, but it had me hooked. Let me know if you do, I may be able to supply you a link to some files that you may or may not find interesting if you PM me.

Hmm. That'd definitely be a first. As I expect the first few times I try this to not exceed 1-2 pages per project until I get good at it / learn what I'm doing, maybe I could get a rain-check on that offer for later. -But yeah I'll quote you on gaia in the thread I post the WIPs in and the final product. Might be a few weeks away since I'm shifting city in 8-9days and I've still a lot of packing to do. But I'm really inspired to do this so I'll probably have it done before I go.

And that's some good advice. Would take the tedium out of story-telling.
BRAZEKOOL
Shadowolf
BRAZEKOOL
Shadowolf

I expected it to be a poor line, but for me it turned out to be one of the strongest lines that tie-in with the Bat-family. I definitely recommend reading the #0 and maybe the first 3 issues before making up your mind on it, but it had me hooked. Let me know if you do, I may be able to supply you a link to some files that you may or may not find interesting if you PM me.

Hmm. That'd definitely be a first. As I expect the first few times I try this to not exceed 1-2 pages per project until I get good at it / learn what I'm doing, maybe I could get a rain-check on that offer for later. -But yeah I'll quote you on gaia in the thread I post the WIPs in and the final product. Might be a few weeks away since I'm shifting city in 8-9days and I've still a lot of packing to do. But I'm really inspired to do this so I'll probably have it done before I go.

And that's some good advice. Would take the tedium out of story-telling.

Sounds good, I look forward to seeing your comic then. =3

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
sounds neat ^^

i've never really done comic pages before (though, i have wanted to make comics) i've always been held back by feeling like i'm not ready because i'm not skilled enough XD especially in regards to anatomy and perspective. so good on you for actually doing this! i bet you'll have fun ^^
Ah, so basiclly you are looking to make some fan comics? That's great!
You'll find that making comics is harder than it looks, and that creating story, dialogue, pacing, etc are super difficult for a first timer. Don't expect your work to be the quality of the comic you are basing it off of.

Some rules to follow in general:

Stay away from tracing and eyeballing the art from the comic.
Sure, you can eyeball and do master copies as RESEARCH for style, but do not put them in your comic or show them off to others. The same thing goes with the writing, make sure that you make the comic your own and don't borrow too much off of the original.

Post it online
Have a website for your comic and update it consistently. Ask for critiques, reviews and such. If you don't have the skill to create your own domain/website, you can use websites such as SmackJeeves and Drunk Duck are free to use and come with a pre-existing community.

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH
There's more to comics than meets the eye. Look up comics podcasts, forums, and tutorials. Read comics you wouldn't usually read, and read ALL OF THE BOOKS BY SCOTT MCLOUD. Look up anatomy books, basic drawing books, books on perspective. Try tons of different methods and mediums (digital, traditional, pen, pencil, etc), and force yourself out of your comfort zone.

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
XMegantronX
sounds neat ^^

i've never really done comic pages before (though, i have wanted to make comics) i've always been held back by feeling like i'm not ready because i'm not skilled enough XD especially in regards to anatomy and perspective. so good on you for actually doing this! i bet you'll have fun ^^
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. You're quite skilled.

I did a 12-page comic for my final in art at school. It was only drawn and inked with an acrylic painted cover, and it was rushed. I'm not at all proud of it, but I'm happy that I've done it and know that it helps with story-board out a fair bit, even if you only end up using like one scene, because it's heaps easier to make adjustments in text form.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX
sounds neat ^^

I did a 12-page comic for my final in art at school. It was only drawn and inked with an acrylic painted cover, and it was rushed. I'm not at all proud of it, but I'm happy that I've done it and know that it helps with story-board out a fair bit, even if you only end up using like one scene, because it's heaps easier to make adjustments in text form.

XD well maybe i'll try it one day. i do have several ideas for comics.
Oooh. I had to produce a storyboard for an assignment last year. So I think my advice could be transferable. whee

I found it was easy to (accidentally) change the size or proportion of something by the 10th panel. (You might leave a small gap between the hair and the shoulders in the first panel, but maybe from the 10th panel onward the gap became larger.)

So try to analyse previous panels before beginning a new panel. Also, working with lego and/or play-dough models is helpful too if you want to use an unusual perspective but keep the height of a character realistic to the environment. (Or similar.) I hope this makes sense. Good luck with your work. whee

Inquisitive Bookworm

17,175 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
XMegantronX
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX
sounds neat ^^

Be sure to get them out sometime between now and infinity wink

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX
BRAZEKOOL
XMegantronX
sounds neat ^^

Be sure to get them out sometime between now and infinity wink

XDD maybe

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas