Welcome to Gaia! ::

Seeker

I'm sorry if this was talked about before but....Ok, so I always knew that manga artists in Japan work their fingers to the bone (literally), but I wanted to know exactly how long and difficult it was to be a manga artist in Japan. I researched a little bit and found a sample of someone's work schedule and omg...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

(Source: http://comicsbeat.com/sample-work-schedule-of-a-manga-artist/)

My jaw dropped.

Maybe not every manga artist has a schedule like this or maybe they do, but either way, this can not be healthy! So, do you guys have a strict schedule for working on your comics/manga? Or do you just work on it whenever possible? All I can say is this schedule puts mine to shame.

Anxious Lunatic

Mmm, put into perspective, it says 'anonymous weekly manga magazine artist' so, if I'm guessing right, they're drilling out thirty+ pages each week for their magazine. That is extremely intense. Like, whoa.

Plus, I assume it would be their full time job. Getting that little amount of sleep and meal breaks can't be very good, for certain, but you gotta do what you gotta do to pay bills and such.

For myself and schedules, I am very bad at it. Still in high school, so that takes up a good chunk of the day right there, and then it's usually put off until the weekend, and I suddenly go on a drawing rampage. And sleep the rest of the days away xD

So yea. From a lazy high schooler, those dedicated manga artists have my respect.

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
i don' think that schedule is real....

plus, while your assistants are working, you are free to do whatever.

Seeker

Kenny Cappuchino
Mmm, put into perspective, it says 'anonymous weekly manga magazine artist' so, if I'm guessing right, they're drilling out thirty+ pages each week for their magazine. That is extremely intense. Like, whoa.

Plus, I assume it would be their full time job. Getting that little amount of sleep and meal breaks can't be very good, for certain, but you gotta do what you gotta do to pay bills and such.

For myself and schedules, I am very bad at it. Still in high school, so that takes up a good chunk of the day right there, and then it's usually put off until the weekend, and I suddenly go on a drawing rampage. And sleep the rest of the days away xD

So yea. From a lazy high schooler, those dedicated manga artists have my respect.

Yeah, I noticed it said weekly on it, but I would think monthly couldn't be that much different (hopefully more breaks and sleep, good lord!). Full time job or not, that person has really got to love what they are doing lol. It would explain why a lot of them are such good artists too. They literally just keep improving because they never stop drawing.

I'm the same way. College takes up a lot of my time, but I still try to manage to get a little of my comic done somewhere in the day. My updates are so SLOW.
Uh, I think that schedule could be real {it says Shiibashi Hiroshi at the top} and it is very close to my life right now.

Tipsy Phantom

6,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
The schedule is very real. But I'm pretty sure it's not a year-round work schedule. They bust out a bunch of work and then get crazy breaks.

My boyfriend and I do comics and we're thinking of working like this for a week when we move away from the city this month. We wake up at 6am to draw until 8 or 9pm. But this sounds way more efficient.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff