Welcome to Gaia! ::

IronSpike
Vegapunkprime

"All rights including the publication rights, the screening stage rights, adaptation to animation or live action video of the submitted works shall belong to Shueisha."

They have added that statement to the FAQ after I (and probably several thousand) people asked about it.

User Image

Not in a million years.

Yeah, as much as I love Shonen Jump that is a very bad deal to any creator who submits a story.

For those who don't know, keeping the copyright of your original story is the most important thing for an artist/writer to do. It means you keep control.

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I have a question regarding to paper size, I use a regular 8.5" by 11" printer paper to draw, but the dimension for the paper size should be 9" by 13".

Is it possible to scan the pages first then change the paper size using my PC?

Or is it not really a big deal for the paper size?

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
hisoka hxh
I have a question regarding to paper size, I use a regular 8.5" by 11" printer paper to draw, but the dimension for the paper size should be 9" by 13".

Surely you can resize the scan with your PC but I would not recommend it. At least not from the smaller image to bigger one. Usually, when drawing comics, people draw the pages bigger than the print (while keeping in mind the aspect ratio) in order to incorporate more details and to get smoother outlines. Doing it vice versa does not make any sense. The paper size IS a big deal in case your stuff will be printed

As for regular printer paper, I would not use it to create your comic. Aside from the size it is just too thin to be made really good use of it. I am not saying not to use printer paper though. There are printer paper types that are fit for comics. I, for one, have been using Color Copy for years, as it is pretty durable, perfect for ink and screen tones and costs less then special comic paper. And you have a variety of thickness, from 90 to 350 gsm.

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
JD-Ayane
hisoka hxh

Surely you can resize the scan with your PC but I would not recommend it. At least not from the smaller image to bigger one. Usually, when drawing comics, people draw the pages bigger than the print (while keeping in mind the aspect ratio) in order to incorporate more details and to get smoother outlines. Doing it vice versa does not make any sense. The paper size IS a big deal in case your stuff will be printed

As for regular printer paper, I would not use it to create your comic. Aside from the size it is just too thin to be made really good use of it. I am not saying not to use printer paper though. There are printer paper types that are fit for comics. I, for one, have been using Color Copy for years, as it is pretty durable, perfect for ink and screen tones and costs less then special comic paper. And you have a variety of thickness, from 90 to 350 gsm.

Oh crap. What if I increase the dpi? would that help a bit???? cause I just finished 8 pages of my story and I would not want to redo them....

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
hisoka hxh
JD-Ayane
hisoka hxh

Oh crap. What if I increase the dpi? would that help a bit???? cause I just finished 8 pages of my story and I would not want to redo them....

The problem with resizing from small to big is that your outlines tend to get blurry by doing that. But, you should probably be alright if you scan with a higher resolution (for example 800 or 1200 dpi) and later increase paper size by decreasing your resolution to 650 dpi. That way the resizing may not be THAT obvious.

Shadowy Phantom

JD-Ayane
hisoka hxh
JD-Ayane
hisoka hxh

The problem with resizing from small to big is that your outlines tend to get blurry by doing that. But, you should probably be alright if you scan with a higher resolution (for example 800 or 1200 dpi) and later increase paper size by decreasing your resolution to 650 dpi. That way the resizing may not be THAT obvious.

For resizing, what matters is the pixel size. So, it's perfectly fine to decrease the DPI and decrease the pixel dimensions to increase the print size, but if you do anything that involves increasing the pixel dimensions, it's not going to look good.

Sparkly Prophet

9,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
why the hell not? I might as well enter. I've got a oneshot or two I don't mind throwing out into the cosmos.

Hilarious Noob

all you get is prize money if you win? no contact from the publisher?

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
IronSpike
Vegapunkprime

"All rights including the publication rights, the screening stage rights, adaptation to animation or live action video of the submitted works shall belong to Shueisha."

They have added that statement to the FAQ after I (and probably several thousand) people asked about it.

User Image

Not in a million years.

well, guess what, according to my confirmation number, and i'm just making a guess here, there are over 1300000000 entries. unless the confirmation number means something else entirely.
hisoka hxh
IronSpike
Vegapunkprime

User Image

Not in a million years.

well, guess what, according to my confirmation number, and i'm just making a guess here, there are over 1300000000 entries. unless the confirmation number means something else entirely.

Haha, yeah I noticed the high confirmation number too when I submitted my entry. I think it is more of a random number and less of a representation of how many entries there were. I've heard that usually contests like this draw a few hundred submissions, 1,300,000,000 is a HUGE amount of submissions!

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Vegapunkprime
hisoka hxh
IronSpike
Vegapunkprime

User Image

Not in a million years.

Haha, yeah I noticed the high confirmation number too when I submitted my entry. I think it is more of a random number and less of a representation of how many entries there were. I've heard that usually contests like this draw a few hundred submissions, 1,300,000,000 is a HUGE amount of submissions!

LOL I know, i mean, it would take the judge more than a year to finish read those. plus, 1300000000 is closer to the population in China...LOL

Shadowy Phantom

hisoka hxh
Vegapunkprime
hisoka hxh

LOL I know, i mean, it would take the judge more than a year to finish read those. plus, 1300000000 is closer to the population in China...LOL

Confirmation numbers for major websites are usually designed to be such that an off-by-one error or a typo will not produce a valid number. It's usually some sort of hash function rather than a simple sequential number. What this means is that confirmation number has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the number of entries in the contest. Depending on how their system is set up, it may even be possible for someone who registered later to have a smaller number than you.
Occasionally sequential numbers are used, but on large websites these are almost never just the entry number, they're usually incremented by a number larger than 1 for a number of technical reasons.

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Kyousouka
hisoka hxh
Vegapunkprime
hisoka hxh

Confirmation numbers for major websites are usually designed to be such that an off-by-one error or a typo will not produce a valid number. It's usually some sort of hash function rather than a simple sequential number. What this means is that confirmation number has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the number of entries in the contest. Depending on how their system is set up, it may even be possible for someone who registered later to have a smaller number than you.
Occasionally sequential numbers are used, but on large websites these are almost never just the entry number, they're usually incremented by a number larger than 1 for a number of technical reasons.

that is good to know. cause i was freaked after submitting my entry.
Now it is a waiting game until November when the final candidates will be announced.

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Vegapunkprime
Now it is a waiting game until November when the final candidates will be announced.

I only wish that I can be one of the final candidates. winning would be a plus, of course, but being the finalist is good enough for me.....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff