Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hiya all,

Just a heads up for those aspiring manga creators out there, Shonen Jump has announced today that they have opened up an international manga competition!

The deadline is October 1st, 2013, and submissions can be done in either Japanese, English, or Chinese! Submissions can range from 15, 19, 31, or 45 pages long. There will be a winner in each category for Japanese, English, and Chinese submissions, the winners receiving 500,000Yen (roughly $5,000).

See the site for more details and apply for the competition (you don't have to have the submission ready to apply yet).

Here is a link to specific rules.

I've already applied, good luck to the other aspiring artists & writers out there! °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
I'm curious as to why they have application and submission process separate like that. Would it look bad if I apply but don't submit anything in the end?
holy cow!!!
but oh why does it have to be in october? DX I'm busy full time at uni til the end of november so there's no chance for a break to enter
next year for sure though >_>;;

Devoted Friend

13,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Befriended 100
If only I could draw! *cry*
keiiii
I'm curious as to why they have application and submission process separate like that. Would it look bad if I apply but don't submit anything in the end?

Dunno why it is separate like that either. This is a first {for me at least} where the submission is done completely online instead of sending in hard copies of the manga.

Second you Dark-Merchant, in November I have a huge project to turn in to my employer and to be able to draw a submission and do the project will run me ragged. sweatdrop My love of comic making will see me through!

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
Vegapunkprime
keiiii

Dunno why it is separate like that either. This is a first {for me at least} where the submission is done completely online instead of sending in hard copies of the manga.

Second you Dark-Merchant, in November I have a huge project to turn in to my employer and to be able to draw a submission and do the project will run me ragged. sweatdrop My love of comic making will see me through!

I suppose it is because up till now Asians killed all of the competition in that kind of contests. Also, the separation makes it easier to judge. What I gathered from speaking to a Jump editor all those years ago is that they think that non-Japanese people cannot tell a story that would be interesting for Japanese readers. You know, coming from a different cultural background and such. Personally I like the separation as it means that as an English speaking person (or at least a person who is more fluent in English than Japanese or Chinese) you will be compared to other English speaking persons and do not have to fear the Japanese or Chinese competitors.
JD-Ayane
I suppose it is because up till now Asians killed all of the competition in that kind of contests. Also, the separation makes it easier to judge. What I gathered from speaking to a Jump editor all those years ago is that they think that non-Japanese people cannot tell a story that would be interesting for Japanese readers. You know, coming from a different cultural background and such. Personally I like the separation as it means that as an English speaking person (or at least a person who is more fluent in English than Japanese or Chinese) you will be compared to other English speaking persons and do not have to fear the Japanese or Chinese competitors.

Not the language/ region separation. I meant the separation of the registration process and the submission process. You register first, then submit later.

It's not really a big deal, but a mystery nonetheless.
I'm kind of passed that time to want to submit and have my comic distributed in japan.

Plus, I haven't read a SJ manga in ages and dont feel I'd make anything to their liking.

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Two questions:

Do I have to make my manga reading from right to left as opposite of western comics?

The prize will be selected from a number of finalists based on online voting, wouldn't that actually be unfair since people can cheat by asking their friends and supporters to vote for them?
(For example, a webcomics artist with thousands of fans over the years will have an advantage over a newly emerged artist who produces with the same level of quality.)
hisoka hxh
Two questions:

Do I have to make my manga reading from right to left as opposite of western comics?

The prize will be selected from a number of finalists based on online voting, wouldn't that actually be unfair since people can cheat by asking their friends and supporters to vote for them?
(For example, a webcomics artist with thousands of fans over the years will have an advantage over a newly emerged artist who produces with the same level of quality.)

According to Shonen Jump's FAQ, it doesn't matter if the manga is drawn left-to-right or right-to-left. Shonen Jump editorial staff will judge and select those finalists, which will then open up for online voting.

It's true that there is a possibility that an experienced comic artist can get into the final round like an emerging artist. But previously published works are not allowed, even self published (I inquired about it since I have my own webcomic and staff replied.)

Honestly, if a good piece of work is up for voting, the work will speak for itself. I think most artists that would already be at that caliber to have thousands of fans- probably already work for a publisher and thus are not eligible for the competition. Don't focus on the other artists competing, but enjoy creating a story for Shonen Jump!

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Vegapunkprime
hisoka hxh
Two questions:

According to Shonen Jump's FAQ, it doesn't matter if the manga is drawn left-to-right or right-to-left. Shonen Jump editorial staff will judge and select those finalists, which will then open up for online voting.

It's true that there is a possibility that an experienced comic artist can get into the final round like an emerging artist. But previously published works are not allowed, even self published (I inquired about it since I have my own webcomic and staff replied.)

Honestly, if a good piece of work is up for voting, the work will speak for itself. I think most artists that would already be at that caliber to have thousands of fans- probably already work for a publisher and thus are not eligible for the competition. Don't focus on the other artists competing, but enjoy creating a story for Shonen Jump!

More questions,

Can I submit more than just one short story?

Is there a second prize or a thrid prize?

Is there prizes based on different lengthes for the short story (18 pages, 45 pages etc..)?

Thanks.
hisoka hxh
Vegapunkprime
hisoka hxh
Two questions:

More questions,

Is there prizes based on different lengthes for the short story (18 pages, 45 pages etc..)?

Thanks.

I assume it is one entry per person, however the FAQ does not cover that!
There are no other prizes besides the first places of each language category and a grand prize. From how the FAQ reads, no prizes based on length of the submission.

FYI, my submission is 19 pages long.
PLEASE NOTE THIS:
"All rights including the publication rights, the screening stage rights, adaptation to animation or live action video of the submitted works shall belong to Shueisha."
They have added that statement to the FAQ after I (and probably several thousand) people asked about it.
Vegapunkprime

"All rights including the publication rights, the screening stage rights, adaptation to animation or live action video of the submitted works shall belong to Shueisha."

They have added that statement to the FAQ after I (and probably several thousand) people asked about it.

User Image

Not in a million years.

Friendly Member

6,750 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Full closet 200
Omg yes! I am SO entering this!!! >w< being a manga artist is my dream goal sooo....;w;

Popular Hunter

3,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Vegapunkprime
hisoka hxh
Vegapunkprime
hisoka hxh
Two questions:

More questions,

Thanks.

I assume it is one entry per person, however the FAQ does not cover that!
There are no other prizes besides the first places of each language category and a grand prize. From how the FAQ reads, no prizes based on length of the submission.

FYI, my submission is 19 pages long.
PLEASE NOTE THIS:

oh wait under FAQ they stated that you CAN submit more than 1 entry!!! yay.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff