Welcome to Gaia! ::

Elisabeth sat on her bed, her eyes glossy and red as she hugged the small girl to her. Never would she had expected that it was Sofia who would come rest with her, and do what she could to make the Duchess feel better. “Thanks Sofia. No need to worry, I’m okay,” She said, taking her cheek in her hand and looking into her face. “I hope you are, as well. And you can always come to me. I’ll never pressure you to speak, but you always have an open door here, alright?” She hugged her back, and reached for the handkerchief tucked neatly into the white wood bedside table. She blew her nose, and placed the handkerchief back, turning back to Sofia. She was about to say something else, her mouth hanging half open when there was a small knock on her door. It was Sebastien, poking his head in, and he came in once beckoned.
“Hi, Sebastien,” Elisabeth said, putting an arm around his shoulders and he snuggled into her side. She held each of the children together, and her head rested atop Sebastien’s.
“Elisabeth?” He whispered, and she let her eyes wander to the top of his head.
“Yes, sweetheart?”
“It…it was my fault. You shouldn’t have to worry about me, okay? I’m really sorry that I made you worry, Elisabeth.”
“Don’t be sorry, Sebastien. You didn’t do any-,” but she was interrupted.
“I…I did. I did, Elisabeth. She came after me again, but don’t be mad at Kyier. He was…he was trying to protect me.” He looked up at her, his eyes wide with fear of her reaction.
“W-who…came after you, Sebastien?” She whispered.
“The mean witch woman, she was the one. She came here…and took me. Sofia and Kyier came after me. Don’t be mad at him, Elisabeth!” There was so much that had flashed through her mind, and right then she had no idea how she could react to everything that was just told to her. But she couldn’t start crying again.

“I’m just glad you’re okay, and I am sure Kyier was brave and he had all the right reasons for keeping this from…from me. Oh, Sebastien, and Sofia…you two are so brave. I am so happy you’re okay!” She said, holding them close. She sat with them for such a long while, and for a moment she expected she had fallen asleep in a very stiff position. A hoot of an owl outside stirred her from her thoughts, and she tightened her grip around the two. “Come on, you two. Let’s take you to bed,” She said, stirring them gently and taking their hands as they headed down the hall. She led them to their separate bedrooms, tucking in Sofia and then taking Sebastien down the hallway to his bedroom. She tucked him tightly into the covers, and kissed his forehead. He smiled sleepily at her, but fought to keep his eyes open.
“Goodnight, Sebastien,” She whispered, kissing him on the forehead once again before tucking the covers snuggly around him. She turned, and made sure the window was tightly latched and drew the draperies shut. She watched him through the darkness, the small flame from the nearby candle the only source of light against his dark eyes. She opened the door, and closed it softly behind her as she made her way back to her own bedroom. She was not expecting Kyier to suddenly appear from around the corner, but he did. She was startled, and almost allowed a slight gasp to escape her lips. “Kyier! I-,” She was not expecting him to lash out menacingly at her, not at all! At least...not again.

"Stop trying to be his damn mother." Kyier hissed. "Sebastien doesn't need the likes of you trying replace the one he held dear. Nor does he need you to constantly remind him of what he lost."

Elisabeth let her eyes fall downcast, and she only looked back up once more she felt his presence had fully vanished. “I never meant to be anything more to him…than a trusted friend. I never tried to be his mother. I couldn't possibly...” She said, though he was not there anymore. She now stood alone, and felt as though a heavy pressure was on her chest.

Sebastien's head poked around his door frame, his eyes saddened after hearing the exchange. Kyier really was being hard on Elisabeth as of late. It must have been especially difficult for her without his mother present to quell Kyier's anger and lessen the blows. The hatred the fiery man seem to hold in his heart was remarkable. The young man tiptoed a few feet into the hall once the coast was clear, nearly colliding with Sofia who had seemed to have the same idea as he. She met him half way between their two rooms, surprised to find herself in an immediate embrace filled with Sebastien's gratitude. "You must think me an awful coward." he frowned. Sofia only shook her head and took his hand, leading him back to her bedroom where she would stay awake keeping watch over him while he slept at her side.

"Kyier... Much more from you and you'll drive the girl to take a blade to her heart." Mathius scolded as soon as Kyier had returned from his supposed bathroom trip.

"Think about it Mathius. The only reason the damn witch went after her was because she sees Elisabeth as competition. There's no room in a child's life for two mothers." To the apothecary's awkward smile, Kyier sighed. He had forgotten to whom he was speaking. "At least not at the same time."

Mathius waved him off to dismiss the matter, "But if that you're reasoning, why not just tell her so, Kyier? Would it truly be so awful to have others realize you're a decent human being."

The Marquess scoffed, "Of course it would. People would expect me to talk to them then instead of scurrying away at the sight of me. I'd be expected to converse and carry on pleasantries. Ah! And the the worst would be the clinging. I already have Sofia and Sebastien hanging on me. Lest not forget you too for nearly ten years now. You think I wish for another you lingering about, clutching at my shirt?"

Mathius grinned widely at his best friend's little rant, "Come, Kyier. You love me and you know it."

And a simple, "Pppfft," was all he was granted in response.

~~~

The next day, Elisabeth had been told about the Founder’s Day ball. After their encounter she had avoided Kyier when she could, more out of respect instead of fear. She knew he wouldn’t cause her any physical harm. But she felt like he should be left to his own devices today, especially with the Founder’s Day ball. She was more excited because Sofia and Sebastien were going to be joining them. She knew Sebastien had been with Kyier, and whatever time Mathius had gone home last night surely caused him enough time to relax and venture back to the manor.
Now, she and Sofia were in her bedroom, and she stood behind Sofia as Anita had done for her, and she tried fixing her hair and pulling it into a delicate bun to match her dress.
“I hope you have fun tonight, make sure you dance with Sebastien, okay?” She said, smiling at her reflection, “I’m sure he’ll love it, even if he pretends he can’t dance!” She laughed.
Sofia looked shell-shocked. She spun around to face Elisabeth, her eyes wide with more fear than when she was faced with the raging flames that had destroyed her dearest friend. DANCE? Elisabeth had to be kidding. The little girl shook her head violently, glaring at the Duchess with everything she had. How dare she suggest such blasphemy. The only reason the pair of them were going was because Kyier was worried for their safety. Whomever he would leave them with to watch over would be in danger too. Despite the severity of the injuries they had dealt Katarina, not one of them knew what she was fully capable of. It was better to be on the safe side. Elisabeth merely laughed happily, tapping Sofia's nose in a cute way that caused the child to crinkle it up. "Awww, Sofia. I'm sure you'd be wonderful, though, and just look at you! Gosh...Sometimes I wonder if you're honestly human, you know that. You're just too pretty! Ahhh, and this dress! So cute!" she squealed, jumping up to lift Sofia into her arms. Sofia gasped, not at all expecting the woman's sudden shrieking.

Kyier groaned at the sound, "Tonight is just going to be fabulous, isn't it?" The Marquess shook his head, a small crooked smile pulling at the corner of his lips. "You have to admit, she is annoying as sin." Sebastien smiled, acting much more like himself than the past two days. Kyier was more than happy for that. "You clean up nice." The Marquess mentioned, glancing down at the boy in his evening attire. "Are you nervous?"

"W-what do you mean?" Sebastien swallowed.

Kyier grinned maliciously, "I think you know. Sofia's going to be all dressed up ,right? Don't try to deny it, I know you like her." The man gave an honest laugh at the blushing color on Sebastien's cheeks. "Hey, I don't blame you. Sofia is a pretty little girl. And she did risk her life to save you, I'd say she likes you." It was so strange how being with the boy changed him. Sebastien somehow brought out his softer side...little brat. "Mathius is late. There is much to do today. Buck up, Sebastien. You're job is to keep Elisabeth away from me. You owe me, after all." They left the room together, both young men looking as handsome as ever. "I'm off to the castle now. Do me a favor and inform Mathius that I am expecting him once he arrives. Good luck tonight, Sebastien." he grinned before tipping his hat to the boy.

The Marquess hailed the driver that had been waiting for him. He climbed into the carriage and tapped the door. The scenery passed by slowly, the short trip seeming to take an eternity. The fall leaves of brilliant reds and golds had nearly all abandoned the trees. The air had grown so cold, sending an ominous chill through the air. Kyier's mind was so heavy with responsibility. He wished his parents would hurry home. Joshua he could handle on his own, the man was a moron, but the growing threat of the castors along with keeping that damn girl alive... life was hard. He hoped they had been able to quell the growing hostilities between Roudel and Devonshire, and that when they returned they would order more along the lines of helping those who had lost their homes and livelihood to Joshua's idiocy. Kyier tipped the driver, ordering him back to the manor to pick up the others once they were ready. The Marquess was greeted respectfully by the guards, the line of them bowing as he passed by. The castle foyer was buzzing with maids and hired workers, all running about to make sure preparations were ready for tonight's ball.

"Kyier Cross, it has been quite the while." The Marquess looked toward the stairs from where the delicate voice had traveled. It was eerie how she much she sounded like his mother.

He rose an eyebrow to the owner, "Have you and your lovely family already taken up residence? A little premature, don't you think?"

Lillia smirked at his jab, "I would agree with you, Cousin. I personally find this castle to be rather tacky. But then... that is my mother's taste, after all. She has taken quite a liking to the master bedroom. I hope Aunt and Uncle return home soon. I really do hate to see her so happy." she shrugged, coming down to stand before him. She stood only a bit shorter than he, her silky blonde lockes pulled into neat braids that were decorated with small white flowers. Her bun stood beautifully atop her head and everything about her looked absolutely nothing like her crow of a mother.

Kyier chuckled, "It's been a long time since I heard that wit. You've turned into quite the coward of late. When we were young I recall it was you who didn't take crap from anyone. My, my how the mighty have fallen."

"Oh, is that so? Big words for the little Marquess who is sitting back and watching while a man far unfit to secede the throne steps all over him. Tsk, tsk... pity really."

His jaw clenched in chagrin at his cousin's words, "You have no right to berate me, Lillia. You don't know anything." he hissed, Kyier's tone taking a chilling turn.

"Like Hell! I know more than you have EVER given me credit for, Kyier! If you would just-"

"Enough! Shut up, Lillia and get off your damn high horse. You're nothing more than a stupid doll prancing around by your mother's commands!"

The Marchioness lifted her light turquoise gown, fresh unshed tears causing her mulberry eyes to grow glossy, "How dare you! Why must you always be so hateful! Dammit, Kyier!" she shouted right back. The maids and workers had all stopped what they were doing, all seemingly frozen in time. They stared at the pair of cousins, both smoking where they stood glaring at each other. Both of their heads whipped around, "What are you looking at?!" Kyier and Lillia both snapped in unison, igniting into orange and blue flickering flames. They turned back to one another, looking horror struck by the mirror of the other. Neither said a single word more to the other, again moving at the exact same time to turn their backs. Kyier marched off toward the ballroom while Lillia set her sights back to the stairs.
Around the same time, Elisabeth found herself flustered and nervous, with all due attempts at getting ready fuddled beyond repair. Her hair was scorched in the hot iron, and her makeup was plastered onto her face. She didn’t realize how badly she needed Anita. For her first ball, the Duchess was there and was able to help her get ready, but now she was in deep, uncharted water. She pulled the steaming hot iron and placed it back into the hot water. She cursed lightly under her breath, and stared at her reflection. It was so much easier to help Sofia get ready. But now that it was her turn, she felt like a foolish little girl for even trying.
She did the best she could. That was surely anyone could have asked of her. Now she was thinking about the night to come, of who she would see, and how different it would be without her aunt and uncle and her godparents. She really hoped that they would return soon, and safely!
“Elisabeth! The carriage is here!” Sebastien said, running into the bedroom unannounced. Elisabeth didn’t care though, because she was as ready as she was ever going to be. She grabbed her silk shoulder shawl and followed Sebastien out into the hall. Her hair was curled as much as she could. She tried so hard to brush out the small, overbearing brown poof and instead create long, luscious curls but unfortunately it didn’t turn out quite to her favor.

Sofia and Sebastien though looked incredibly dashing together, as they walked towards the midafternoon air and into the carriage to take us to the castle. “You must surely be excited, you two!” She cheered, happier than she had been watching the children. The carriage bumped. Sebastien laughed at the sudden toss into the air.

“We are…though nervous. I bet a lot of adults are going to be there, right?” he asked.
“Well…of course, a lot of royal families. But people you will know. And, Sebastien…and Sofia, anything they say, don’t take it to heart, okay? Maybe you can stay together and don’t wander off!” She said. She looked out the window, where the castle loomed happily over the clouds in the sky, and the carriages were all lined neatly as the royal families began to arrive. They exited the carriage, Sebastien and Elisabeth sharing idle chatter up until the guards and the crowds of new guests, when Sebastien hushed.
“Sofia, stay here for a moment, okay?” She asked. She pulled Sebastien down the hall and politely nodded to a young woman who scurried past. “Sebastien, people might say things to you. Don’t worry about them, because the only person who can truly know how good you are is you. Kyier and I both agree, you’re a wonderful kid, and are growing into a grand young man.” She tried so hard to make his speech worthwhile and memorable. But for as long as she remembered she had always been terrible at speeches. “Just remember you’re a great guy. And…people who say bad things don’t matter, only you do…and what you think. You know what I mean?” She asked, offering him a smile.
“Yep!” He said, his eyes glancing once more towards Sofia. He was eager to get back to her side.

They headed back over, Elisabeth looking around for Kyier. However, she never saw him.
“Attention ladies and lords, if you would accompany one another towards the grand ballroom, Duke Hastings would like to make his speech!” The man suddenly exclaimed, as the people in the foyer headed down the hall. Elisabeth held onto each of their hands. The orchestra played when they entered, the soft melody nothing like that which had been played at the ball of her first attendance. This was brisk and tight, not at all like a river of music that she had imagined before. And the décor was masculine and dark. Light candles of dark cerulean sat atop the tables, and matching sets of ribbon and the colours of the kingdom waved to them from banners that lined the ceiling. People headed around, talked amongst themselves, and occupied their tables. Mathius as spotted, Elisabeth rushing the children over to them and towards the table.
“Is Kyier here?” She asked, though her eyes wandered once more over to the pianist. It was no longer the tall blonde man who had recently become her savior of sorts. She had hoped he would once again be here, to offer her a dance so smooth and light, like they could flat across the dance floor. And then she realized she had no idea what Mathius had even said. “I’m sorry, Mathius. What?”
Mathius just laughed, and repeated, “He’s here somewhere. He has family. He might be with his cousin. I’m sure he’ll appear. He always does,” he grinned. Joshua was off saying something to the crowd, but the small group at the table wasn’t listening. Wine was now being passed around, the rosy liquid splashing into the crystal glasses. Even Elisabeth had a glass placed in her hand. She took a timid sip before placing it on the table. The orchestra started again, the soft piano melody now playing a much happier note.
“Sebastien,” Elisabeth said, and nodded lightly towards where Sofia sipped at her water. He didn’t seem like he understood so Elisabeth created a small move and spun. He finally understood, and his face became as red as fresh beets.
“S-Sofia…” he said, and cleared his throat. “Want to dance with me…?” He asked. “You…should, dance I mean. With me. Please. I…” He tried to whisper something into her ear, something smooth like his father had been, or how he remembered his father to be. He took her hand and led her towards the shining floor. Sebastien, very timidly, put his arm around Sofia. He was trying so very hard to be brave, to be the man that he thought he should be now that he was…well, not quite alone. He was beginning to see that he would never be alone. “I told you I wasn’t going to fold until you danced with me,” He gulped, feeling his pulse race and his face blush crimson. He tried to offer a smile, but he felt his lopsided grin gave way to his serious unease and Sofia could read him like a book then.

The little girl bit the inside of her lip, her eyes straying cowardly from his. She didn't want to hurt his feelings, and it wasn't him, not at all. She just- Sofia pulled away from him, shaking her head all the while. She couldn't dance. She'd look like a fool, and she'd make him look ridiculous too! His hand reached out to hers second time, this time holding more firmly. Oh, that look. Damn him. Sofia lay her hands softly on his shoulders, watching him with weary eyes. He smiled for her again, a warm, bright smile that sent a happy tingle down her spine.

Elisabeth wandered away from Mathius, who was chatting with an elderly woman about her pains. Though most of the people where of noble blood, nobody could deny to tell an Apothecary their woes once they heard of his profession. She was getting lost in the crowd, and nobody had asked her to dance yet. Not that she was expecting anyone. She did wish for someone to ask her, but unfortunately he was not there. Her thoughts were interrupted though, because unseen through the crowd he whipped towards her, grabbing her wrist and pulling her towards the ballroom floor where he grabbed her waist and pulled her tightly into him. They danced, roughly and sharp. They turned and exaggerated their movements. She knew that he was not going to embarrass her, but she was quite uncomfortable.
“Kyier, I was looking ever-,” he interrupted her.
“Shut up. I don't have any other options but to trust you. Listen to me now." And he whipped her around harshly. “Mathius, the dolt, is never where you need him. I need you help, nod if you understand me.” She nodded, her eyes wide.
“What’s going on? Is everything-,”
“I only said nod, Elisabeth.” His voice was so stern, so…resilient. She nodded again. “Be wary. Have your wits ab- well, gain wits.” His eyes glanced over her shoulder briefly before he whipped her around and ordered her, “Watch.” Over his shoulder she saw Joshua trying to coax a badly injured man back from the room and out of the public's eye. He was clearly beaten and scarred, his blonde hair a dirty tattered mess atop his head. That was all that she could see before she had to turn again to the music. "It's Chrystiem, I think. With Joshua, right? Did you see the same?" The Duchess swallowed the lump in her throat, her eyes shifting back to glance over at the Duke. She watched his eyes turn toward and meet with hers. He gave her a chilling smile, one that seemed to wish for a portrayal of warmth, but had not been received in the designated way. Elisabeth gulped, but found herself unable to pull away from his gaze.
Kyier spun her into a smooth dip, feeling her small hand grasp his sleeve as if the sudden move brought back a panicked memory. It was curious then how a second later she immediately relaxed. He jerked her back up toward him, her soft body falling gently against his. "The pieces are in motion. I only wish I knew who was in play and what color the pawns," he hissed under his breath. "You still see them, right? What's happening?" Kyier listened to her gulp audibly, she tensed at his command, focusing on what had been asked.

"Um...Joshua is holding on to Chrystiem's shoulders, but it looks like he's talking to the guards. Ryst looks so panicked..."

"Damn." Kyier cursed. They stepped smoothly forward, following the rhythm of the song. He didn't even flinch when she gracelessly claimed his foot. "They're taking him away, quick, which direction?" Kyier lifted her into the air, spinning her slowly before letting her drop gently back into his arms. She blinked, taken away by it all. "Well?" Kyier snapped, bringing her right back to.

"T-the left. Three guards took him out, but none of them looked like they really knew each other. Weird, isn't it? Aren't Chrystiem and Raina captains of the knights?"

Kyier looked down at her, giving her a look that almost looked as if he were impressed with her. "Yes... They are. It seems Joshua has appointed a few of his own men then."

The music came to a slow end. The room grew quiet as the Duke took the stage. He waved a hand to the public, "Greetings, friends and fellow kinsmen, and welcome to the famed Founder's Day Ball. It is my upmost pleasure to look out and see all of your happy faces despite the troubling times we live," he began. Kyier had grown tense the second the man's mouth opened to spew his nonsense. Without even realizing it himself, his hand tightened around the one belonging to the young woman he had never let go. His incessant ramblings went on and on. He knew Josh's eyes would be on him, and if not his, then certainly the crow's wherever she may nest. He needed to find Chrystiem, or perhaps more importantly... Raina. It was rare to see one without the other.
Kyier spun her into a smooth dip, feeling her small hand grasp his sleeve as if the sudden move brought back a panicked memory. It was curious then how a second later she immediately relaxed. He jerked her back up toward him, her soft body falling gently against his. "The pieces are in motion. I only wish I knew who was in play and what color the pawns," he hissed under his breath. "You still see them, right? What's happening?" Kyier listened to her gulp audibly, she tensed at his command, focusing on what had been asked.

"Um...Joshua is holding on to Chrystiem's shoulders, but it looks like he's talking to the guards. Ryst looks so panicked..."

"Damn." Kyier cursed. They stepped smoothly forward, following the rhythm of the song. He didn't even flinch when she gracelessly claimed his foot. "They're taking him away, quick, which direction?" Kyier lifted her into the air, spinning her slowly before letting her drop gently back into his arms. She blinked, taken away by it all. "Well?" Kyier snapped, bringing her right back to.

"T-the left. Three guards took him out, but none of them looked like they really knew each other. Weird, isn't it? Aren't Chrystiem and Raina captains of the knights?"

Kyier looked down at her, giving her a look that almost looked as if he were impressed with her. "Yes... They are. It seems Joshua has appointed a few of his own men then."

The music came to a slow end. The room grew quiet as the Duke took the stage. He waved a hand to the public, "Greetings, friends and fellow kinsmen, and welcome to the famed Founder's Day Ball. It is my upmost pleasure to look out and see all of your happy faces despite the troubling times we live," he began. Kyier had grown tense the second the man's mouth opened to spew his nonsense. Without even realizing it himself, his hand tightened around the one belonging to the young woman he had never let go. His incessant ramblings went on and on. He knew Josh's eyes would be on him, and if not his, then certainly the crow's wherever she may nest. He needed to find Chrystiem, or perhaps more importantly... Raina. It was rare to see one without the other. Something was wrong, horribly, terribly wrong. "There is but one-" Joshua continued. The Marquess looked over at Lillia standing beside her brother. She seemed be looking straight at him, her eyes wide as if trying to tell him something. His own narrowed. Very subtly, his cousin's head motioned toward the hallway that would lead to the infirmary. If that weren't alarming enough, the lights were hitting her face just right to illuminating the tears streaming down her pale, ivory cheeks. Kyier grew stiff, "Find Mathius. Tell him to keep an eye on Joshua and that something terrible has happened, though I'm not entirely certain what yet." His hand drifted from hers.

"Kyier, Kyier, wait!" Elisabeth cried after him in vain.

The Marquess weaved through the crowds of citizens with their ears open to the Duke. Luckily, everyone was so fascinated by Joshua's bullshit that no one paid him any mind. He made his way to the very back of the ballroom, casually leaning against the statuary standing proudly in the dark corner. He looked back and forth before reaching to take the hand of the King of old. It pushed outward, opening up a narrow passageway that would take him underneath the ballroom and the hundreds of pairs of feet standing atop it. He hastened down the winding tunnels, thinking back on just how long he had known of their existence. He and Lillia were the first to discover them, and it was she that now waited for him not but a few feet away. To his surprise, despite their earlier debacle, she flew into his arms. Much unlike himself, Kyier pulled her close, "Lillia... Please, what's going on?" he whispered as soothingly as he could.

The Marchioness sniffled softly, her face buried in the fabric of her cousin's suit. "Uncle Alphonse and Auntie Vivi are dead!" she cried, her knees going weak. "They were killed in Devonshire and the King has declared war on Roudel All of the guards that were with them are dead too.' Kyier could have sworn his heart stopped beating in his chest just then. He could sense Lillia's strength fading in his arms. He eased her toward the ground, not having a single word to say. "Chrystiem, he- he's..." she gasped, trying to catch her breath. "He's hurt, really bad. Raina forced him to leave her so that we might be warned. He- Oh, Gods, Kyier!" she sobbed.
Elisabeth struggled to get to Mathius; the crowd seemed to have grown much thicker in the past few moments as Joshua had given his speech. She tried to move through them, her dress’s bustle making it much more difficult. “M-Mathius!” She cried out, her eyes going everywhere for the tall blonde man. For being so tall, she had expected to find him much sooner, but the God’s were against her tonight. She saw him sitting near the table, his eyes looking off distantly towards the exit. She hurriedly made her way towards the Apothecary, not gaining his attention until she stood before him. She grabbed his shoulders and shook him, “Mathius, something has happened,” She said.
“What?” He asked quickly, his eyes growing in intensified worry.
“Well, I don’t know. Kyier ran out, because something happened with Chrystiem, I think. I…can you take Sofia and Sebastien and get them out of here?” She asked. “Please?” She added, hoping the man would understand. He nodded, “I’ll take them to the manor. As soon as you know anything…”
“Of course, now…go, please,” She said, her own eyes traveling back towards that cerulean candle. Mathius stood, a soft hand placed on her shoulder, and suddenly he was gone. She was beginning to panic, and didn’t know what had happened. She watched Mathius go to the children, and explain something to them with a smile on his face, and suddenly they made their way towards the exit.
She was so lost in thought and worry she didn’t even think about what happened next. A sizable hand reached over her shoulder, startling her out of her wits as she whipped around, and Joshua stood before her.
“Hello again, Elisabeth,” he said, his voice different than before. As if he was much more kind than she had imagined.
“Joshua, hi,” she said, her eyes moving away from his and back to search for Mathius. She didn’t know what had happened, but she knew just as the others that this was bad.
“I have another speech in a few moments, but before I do, I was wondering if I could be so honored to have a dance with you?” He asked her. He didn’t actually give her time to answer; instead he took her by the waist and guided her to the main floor, where he held her hand in his.“So familiar, isn’t it?”He asked. It was familiar, but something was off. This was the same song that had played when she danced with the pianist the first time, the same place, the same…the same… her eyes moved towards Joshua’s, glancing into his bright orbs and happy face. “I have an announcement to make. I do hope you and I can be friends, Elisabeth. Having you in this kingdom has turned things around. I apologize for what occurred at the council meeting, but you really opened my eyes from that moment.” Something was indeed off with him, and Elisabeth as suddenly more thankful than ever to Mathius for taking the children home.“I need you, Elisabeth. Or rather, this kingdom needs you. The Kingdom is soon to see pain, and I need someone that sees how you see near.” He said, his face so close to hers, resting near the crook of her neck. Her eyes remained wide, fearful, like a stray cat who strained for escape.
“Joshua, I-,” she tried to stay.
“No, no…not now. Not until you know everything,” he said to her. She could only nod.

Joshua led her towards the front of the room, near the thrones where her aunt and uncle normally sat. “Ladies and gentleman of Landon, please, may I have your attention once more?” He smiled a smile that never reached his eyes. “Due to recent circumstances, I have given much thought to being your future king. I know I have made mistakes, and too often my eyes were blinded by greed. It wasn't until Lady Elisabeth here stepped foot onto Landon soil that I began to see things so differently. She is wise in ways I could never hope to become. I hope that she doesn't think too poorly of me, and that she will continue to grant me her insight in time.” He said, half chuckling. He gained another serious look, “Shamefully, I have forgotten my mask. but I have a confession. I was immediately taken by her beauty the moment I saw her, but knew not how to react so I hid away. But I was there, always…I am the masked pianist,” He said, his fingers tickling the back of Elisabeth’s dress.
“What?” She asked, but her voice cracked, and was lost on the ongoing gasp. “How can you-,” she tried to ask, but the sudden shock made her eyes go heavy, and suddenly she felt dizzy. She fell away from him, her vision blurry as she tried to blink her eyes. Nothing was making any sense. She felt him move with her, heard the muffled speaking of those around her, but her legs were so weak. She had no idea where she was being taken. She felt his hand against her cheek, guiding her and finally carrying her down the hallway that now stood quiet.
“What?” she asked again, “What?” She kept repeating. She didn’t understand. She wanted to sleep now. Nothing was right, and she knew somewhere that everything was wrong.
"Hush now my dear Elisabeth. I'm so sorry for startling you as I had. That was never my intention." Everyone moved toward the infirmary, all except for Joshua himself. He started toward the stairs, "She hasn't fallen ill, she had only fainted. I doubt she needs a nurse, only a bed to rest her head." The others nodded, "Away with you all. Please make sure our guests remain happy. I will take care of the Duchess." The guards nodded, "Of course, Sire." They all bowed their heads, turning aside to do as ordered. The Duke sighed, shaking his head at Elisabeth's soft pleas of objection. "You are in good hands, you needn't worry. I have never failed you before." he smiled gently, turning into his, or rather the King's bedroom. He laid her down softly on the king-sized bed, and lifted her head so he could coax a fluffed pillow underneath. "You will stay the evening here. I want to make sure you are okay." Joshua moved a strand of her chestnut hair behind her ear, leaning down to politely kiss her forehead. He left her side for but a moment, returning swiftly with cotton swabs and an ointment to help heal the gash her fall had granted her forehead. Joshua sat down beside her and took her hand, "This may sting a little." he warned before dabbing the wound gently.

"JOSHUA!" The Marquess' voice boomed from all the way down in the foyer. His eyes were murderous as he stormed up the stairs. Lillia traveled at his heel, still tearful from the lose of her dear aunt and uncle. "You conniving, hateful b*****d!" he screamed, barging into the room, body smoking. He marched straight up to the Duke and took him by the collar before slamming into the wall. "How did this happen?! You knew prior, didn't you, DIDN'T YOU?!" he screamed. "What did you do, dammit?! WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

The Duke gasped, struggling to break free from the shorter man's ironclad grasp. "What are you implying, Kyier? OF COURSE I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING! YOU THINK I WANTED THEM DEAD?!" Joshua hissed right back.

"You had no issue moving your mother and your sister into the castle, though, did you?" Kyier shouted.

Lillia bit her lip in the doorway, her eyes pouring tears to the floor. She couldn't believe it. She couldn't believe her brother would be so cruel. There was no way he had anything to do with this, he couldn't! She ran at her cousin, grabbing him by the shoulder to try and pry him from Josh. "Kyier, let him go. Please! This isn't right! I know you're upset, but-" Without thinking, the man shoved her aside. She stumbled backward, falling against the end of the bed to the floor.

"W-wait..." Elisabeth's voice wavered, her mind still groggy from the fall. "Who's dead? Who died?" she cried out, her troubled thoughts immediately drifting to the children.

Kyier dropped his cousin at the sight of Elisabeth. What the Hell was she doing up here? His eyes scanned back to Joshua, and then to the bed which she had been lying. "Aunt Vivian and Uncle Alphonse. The King and Queen are dead! Chrystiem barely escaped with his life to warn us. All the others are gone, and Roudel has received a declaration of war." Kyier growled, glaring at the Duke staying back along the wall. "And you- I knew you were stupid, but- Gah! You disgust me! You're vile. All of you!" he screamed, turning on his heel.
The Duchess watched him storm away, her aching head still looming heavily and creating a throbbing deep set behind her eyes. She tried to rub the pain away, the obnoxious thumping driving her wild. She gulped hard, and tried to clear her throat. The news of her aunt and uncles death was troubling, most; however, it seemed as if there was something else, some sort of rubber goo that blocked the doorway to the news escape in her mind, and it kept bouncing backward, unable to truly reach her. She feared the morning when she would truly understand and be forced to take a good hard look in the mirror and tell her self that people she had now known had passed because of a damned war. But now there was nothing, just this vast emptiness inside her that longed for some unknown presence. Possibly, the presence of the masked pianist, and she was still shocked as all hell to see that the pianist, the man she had been dancing with and the one who had saved her life was Joshua. She’d have to do all she could to make her heart and mind believe it.

But for now, even after Kyier had stormed out in such a fiery flurry, she turned and ignored once more that obnoxious pounding that resonated from her ears. She moved towards the young woman who had been pushed away. “Are you alright?” She asked, her voice light. “Come, come sit…” She said, trying to move the woman away from the floor and towards the comfort of the bed.
“No, no. I’m really okay; I just need to speak with Joshua.” She seemed to be okay, instead insisting that she speak with Joshua. But Elisabeth wanted to speak with him as well, and she stood again, and turned and looked at him.
“Joshua,” She said, but he almost ignored her as he spoke with the young woman. Elisabeth looked over at her, and for a moment, through her blurry vision, she thought she looked so much like her godmother. She tried to leave, ignoring the other too, because clearly they were going to attack one another, or talk, or something. But she couldn’t stay here. Kyier was now apparently mad at her for whoever knew what reason, she needed to find out what had happened to her aunt and uncle, and she was aware she could not leave the room. Without Kyier’s aid, she was defenseless in her state.
“Lady Elisabeth, please, you’re head. Rest your eyes, and-,” Joshua said, his hand reaching over to turn her back around.
“No! I don’t…I don’t want to stay!” She said, “I need to get to Kyier, because…”
“Kyier is gone, Elisabeth. My sister will take care of you. I will take care of you, but please…you will be of no use to anyone with your injuries, and I request that you seek attention to your head if you start to feel woozy, and why would I send you away when the best Apothecaries are here in the castle?” he asked, his voice so smooth and firm. He did have a point, and though he had made some mistakes, Elisabeth surely had to trust him.
“O-okay…” She said, and she felt his sudden embrace, light and loving, wrap around her. She fell against him stiffly, and eventually let her body relax when she feared no undesirable fate with him. Her eyes remained open though, staring into the eyes of his sister. Watching it was as though she was with Kyier, and that gave her an odd sense of peace. She let Joshua lead her back towards the bed. Her head lay gently on the pillows, her weary eyes tired and stretched. “How did you know? You saved me…why?”
“Because without knowing you saved me,” he told her. She didn’t understand at all, but her mind told her to stop asking questions for now.

“I think I need to go to the infirmary,” she told him. By now they were alone. She wondered where the young woman had gone off to, but she looked back at Joshua. “Please…I feel as if I would be better suited near the physicians,” she said. He agreed, and he took her there. She really wanted to go home. And the remaining ache of the headache made her want to lie down. “Thank you,” She said, when they finally reached the doors. A nurse came out to fetch her, leading her into the room and towards one of the beds. She felt Joshua’s eyes on her as she made her way there, and finally she turned and they watched one another. Elisabeth turned away first, and the nurse made her way to shut the double doors. She was helped into some night clothes, standing behind the shaded wall. When she came out there were a few tablets and a goblet of water on the table. But that wasn’t what caught her interest. In the bed next to hers lay a very wounded, very troubled Chrystiem. She ran to his side and kneeled on the floor, her hair coming undone and falling in front of her eyes.
“Chrystiem,” She whispered, “Are you okay?” Now, Elisabeth had asked a lot of questions on her time, most of the rather stupid. She knew that one was stupid, too. “What happened? What happened to Raina?”
Chrystiem coughed, startling the Duchess. “We were attacked. We tried…tried our hardest to keep them….to defend them…” he said, his eyes drowsy and very much indeed drugged. “We lost. For the first time…we lost, and we’ve failed,” he cursed. “I will never forgive myself for any of this.” He looked over at Elisabeth, very calmly, and said, “Nothing is going to be the same anymore.”
Joshua returned to the ballroom after he was certain Elisabeth was settled. He glanced around at his fellow countrymen all dancing about in merriment. He would wait to tell them of their King and Queen's sad demise. Ascending the throne now without his Aunt and Uncle's approval would prove quite the challenge, but then... Not one he wasn't up for. Someone was going to need to take the reigns against this chaos and lead their kingdom through the war. The other two were not making a single motion to the throne. It was a terrible thing, the lose of his Aunt and Uncle. May Lumos rest their souls and assure them that their kingdom was in good hands. He glanced over at Lillia standing at his side, and then back to his mother sitting with her back held straight and regal in the Queen's chair. She offered but a small nod, and he turned away to present his arm to the young Marchioness. Lillia accepted the gesture, stepping forward as her brother's words whirled round and round in her mind. "I am what Kyier thinks, Lil, and that's not me. You know I could never do something so heinous. I loved Auntie Vivi and Uncle Al just as much as you. This is not how I wanted this to happen, you must believe me, Sister. But don't worry. I'll bring everyone through this. I'll make both you and Mother proud." She watched him carefully watch over the festivities, the laughing fools having not a clue as to the tragedy that had occurred. He was different... His eyes were so keen and his words had been so eloquent. He wasn't at all acting like the brother she had come to know.

Meanwhile, the Marquess was just arriving back at Cross Manor. He blew the door from its hinges, sending it flying through the foyer to lay flaming on the floor. "DAMMIT!" he screamed, forcing back the tears that threatened his eyes. Images of his smiling aunt's face, her charming laugh and soothing voice... they haunted him. They were murdered in cold blood, killed by ignorant young rulers out for nothing more than blood and power. "Kyier?!" Mathius gasped, his arms going out on both sides of him to force the children behind him. It wasn't that he feared Kyier might hurt them, it had been more instinct than anything else. "Kyier, what has happened? Where is Elisabeth?"

Kyier nodded toward the children, stepping around the door with a stone cold look on his face. "You two, get lost..." They both looked so sad, though, and worried. He sighed, "No, never mind. You'll find out soon enough anyway." he sighed, motioning for everyone to follow him into the living quarters. All he could think about now was the safety of his parents. They hadn't heard a single word from them since they had left. With the recent developments, they were needed here now more than ever. Kyier couldn't handle this on his own anymore. Sofia crawled up onto his lap, and Sebastien went to sit next to her. She hugged the Marquess tightly, despite not knowing what was causing him such obvious torment. "The King and Queen have been murdered by Devonshirian officials. The new King and Queen have declared war on us."

Mathius' mouth dropped, "W-what?! Why?! What reasoning do they have? And King Alphonse... Queen Vivian, no... This can't be true!" he cried, tears forming shamelessly in his green eyes.

Kyier wrapped an arm around Sofia, and Sebastien too when he scurried across the floor to his other side. Neither of them were fools. Even just children, they knew of the terrors war would bring. "I'll protect the two of you. I'll keep you safe. I'll find away to keep everyone safe, I just- I just need to think..."

Sebastien followed Kyier upstairs after what felt like hours of silent contemplation between the four of them. The Marquess carried a sleeping Sofia in his arms, the little girl exhausted from the nights she had stayed up watching over Sebastien. He laid her down his bed, motioning for Sebastien to climb in as well. Kyier tucked the pair in while Mathius lingered near. Neither of the men would get much sleep tonight. He left a candle burning by the bedside, a lantern flickering at his desk. "Joshua will take the throne and lead us all to our doom." Kyier hissed in a quiet whisper.

"But Kyier... You have the same right as he. You could-"

Kyier silenced him before he could finish, "I haven't a clue how to be a damn King, and have you forgotten I hate people? I don't care enough to take on the dire responsibility of the throne."

"That's a lie!" Mathius just about shouted, having forgotten the presence of the children trying to sleep in the same room. "You care more about this kingdom and its people than any other man alive, Kyier Cross, and you know it dammit." Kyier scoffed at him, his face buried in the hands that now held up his head. Everything was falling apart. Time passed so slowly through the night. Both children seemed to have been graced by sleep, thankfully so. They looked so peaceful together. The apothecary slept down the hall a ways, but Kyier had his doubts that he found slumber. He didn't know why his thoughts went to her then, the daft little halfwit. Certainly she'd be sleeping well in her dead uncle's bed. Gah. It made him sick, her treachery. No matter how Joshua might deny it, Kyier couldn't shake the feeling that his cousin was somehow behind everything. Perhaps his hatred for the man blinded him, but regardless, the pieces just seemed to fit. With the blinds all drawn, it wasn't until he heard the clunking of heels from below that he realized it must be morning. Hurried steps sounded the stairs, and familiar gasps of a soft voice filled the hall. He could only assume the damn girl had returned and now found herself worried that Sofia and Sebastien were missing from their bedrooms. She couldn't even do him the decency of heeding his words.

A knock sounded on his door before she let herself in. He could feel her relief when her eyes fell upon the pair cuddled under his covers. "Get out." he hissed, unable to bring himself to look at her. "You disgust me. You and that a*****e... You defile my Aunt and Uncle's good name. Damn you. Damn you both to Hell."
She had never seen so much fury in his eyes before, and never directed at her. “Kyier,” She began, but the sudden flurry of emotion she received from his eyes sent her aback. “I’m…sorry,” She said, her eyes watering because of the realization of the information she had been told. “Kyier, I’m…I’m so sorry,” She said again, and moved closer to him. She tried to rest her hand on his arm, but he flinched and pulled away abruptly.
“You disgust me,” He hissed, turning and vehemently staring at her, “You and he both, vile. Now, get out.” Elisabeth didn’t understand at all. She had thought he was upset about his aunt and uncle. Or maybe it was because her brain was still foggy from the overload of earlier information. She was still terrified of waking up tomorrow and realizing there were too less lovely people in the world.
“Kyier, I don’t understand why you think….what you think,” She whispered. “I’m sorry about your aunt and uncle, I truly am…-,”
“If you truly think this is about them than you are dafter than I had previously imagined,” he told her. “This is about the two banes of my existence! Now I will not keep repeating myself. Remove yourself from my chambers or I will order someone to do it for you!”
She backed away, throwing another glance at Kyier and her eyes wide and almost understanding. “Okay.” She said. She stood and backed away, her eyes moving towards the two resting children. “I’ll be in the kitchen if they need anything.” But she had to say something else. “He’s…he’s not that bad. He saved me, Kyier. Whether or not you wish me dead, he never…he never did. I can see that now. He’ll be my friend, and he needs me. Joshua only wanted to protect me. Just like I am going to keep protecting them,” and she finally left the room and tearfully towards the kitchen.

She sat at the table in the dining room, after making hot tea. The dark liquid steamed up from the delicate china cup, and it sat untouched with the small silver spoon resting against the floral patterned plate. Her mind was calculating everything from last night. Her jewelry was off, and her hair was down, but still she wore the dress she had come home in. She hadn’t cared for dressing, not after hearing of her aunt and uncles death. For a moment, she let the tears come freely, silent beads of pain and heartache sliding down her face into her lap. She only wiped her tears away when Lydia came up to her to refresh her hot water, and hand her a small bowl of lemon slices for her tea.
“Thank you,” She said.
“Yes, Lady Elisabeth, of course…” She left for the doorway, but turned. “Hope it’s within my boundaries, but…I heard about everything, and I am truly sorry,” She said. She bowed lightly, and Elisabeth nodded her head politely, nodding for her to sit down near her.
“It’s not fair, Lydia. Nothing is fair anymore. I don’t know what happened…” She said. Her small fingers moved about to twirl the cup and bring the steaming liquid to her lips. “I’m so afraid for everything that is going to happen, and then the fear of being so powerless is so overwhelming. What can I do to change anything? I’m not that type of girl. I’m nobody special. And what if all of this is happening because of me? What if me coming here would have stopped everything if I had just said no and chosen to stay in Van Hollen? And to top it off, Kyier hates me. I don’t know what I did…but…he just…” she shook her head, and stared down at the tea. “I feel so lost, and I don’t know who I can turn to,” she whispered.
"Sorry? Hah. Oh yes, I could see last night just how sorry you were, how you chose to honor their memory."

"Why not run back into Joshua's arms to seek your solace?" Kyier's voice hissed from around the corner. He was fuming, and as much as the sight of her made him sick to his stomach, he needed vent his rage. "You-you are a right fool, you are. Dry your crocodile tears, they shame my dear Aunt and Uncle." Kyier slammed his fists down on the table, rattling the bowls and cups setting upon it. "Your leave from my chambers is not enough. I will deal with my parent's wrath when they return, but the very sight of you makes me ill. I demand you be gone from this manor. The children do not need protection from the likes of you. You-you're a traitor to the Uncle who only held unconditional love for you in his heart. Joshua is a friend to no one. He's using you only for political gain for it is you who has the most claim to the throne." Kyier watched her expressions closely, trying to judge whether this had been their plan all along or if she had just been played for a fool. "You gave yourself to the devil." He turned away then, no longer able to hold his gaze. He couldn't do it. The thought of the pair of them together... It was like a fox taking advantage of a rabbit, and one not so swift at that. He felt his stomach churn, the bile rising to his throat. All of this was too disturbing, too vile and unsavory.

The children stood back together, both listening as Kyier verbally ripped Elisabeth to pieces. Sofia couldn't believe her ears. She didn't understand why Elisabeth would choose Joshua over them. He-he had been the man that burned down her home... That had killed the closest thing to a mother she had ever had. Tears welled in her eyes as she dropped Sebastien's hand and stormed over to the woman. Had she truly forgotten? She grabbed a goblet from the table and splashed the water in Elisabeth's face before dropping the cup and stomping on her foot. How dare she betray them? Sofia just started to trust her. She shook her head and took off for the door, not having a care to hear Elisabeth's response.

Kyier watched after the little girl, trusting her enough to know she wouldn't wander far. He had calmed down a bit, though his eyes held nothing but hatred for the soaked woman still seated before him. "Joshua killed her mother and burned down her home... Or did you forget that?" he hissed. "I don't know why all of a sudden you have fallen for that man, but he is not out to protect you. He already took your body and now he'll go for your soul. I almost pity you for being so pathetically naive."
“I didn’t forget!” She yelled, almost pushing the table and knocking over the tea. “Sit down right now, Kyier,” she hissed. “I said sit down!” And even though he didn’t sit, she just continued to rant to him, to explain and cry and yell and hiss. “You don’t understand! I have to trust him. I…I didn’t mean to forget what he did to Sofia. I would never forget that, and I hate myself for allowing my mind to wander for my own pleasures. But it’s you who doesn’t understand, Marquess. I have to be kind to him. I have to appreciate what he’s done for me. He saved my life, despite those he’s taken. You said he is only using me, but why would he save me at the ball, and when…when he tried to have me killed? I mean, obviously he…he tried to save me. He saved me then and after when that witch attacked me.

“And then what did he do? He saved me. Why would he do that, and then tell everyone last night who he was. He gave up his identity…”
She sighed, “He’s not who I had expected. But I feel obligated now, obligated to be his friend. When he told us yesterday and I passed out, he was different. He cared for me, and tried to make me feel better, and let me lie on the bed. I didn’t think he was trying to hurt me, or anything, but I have to trust him now. He saved my life, and that’s what I have to do.” She looked around and grabbed her hair, pulling it tightly into a ball and letting it go. “I know you don’t understand. I’m being stupid. But I don’t know what to do. And I never, ever gave him my body, you fool. He made me rest my head, and the fact that you think anything more of me makes me want to vomit.

“And don’t you dare tell me that I am not being upset enough, or I am unworthy of crying of my aunt and uncle. They were mine, too, and no I didn’t know them like you did but in the short time I was here. I did love them, and I am going to mourn their loss in my way, in my time. Whether you care to accept it, they were my aunt and uncle just as damn much they were yours. And now…now this was my last blood relative, the last connection I had to my birth parents and he’s gone. I can never ask him anything, or make him proud of me. I never asked for false pride. I’d never ask for that. I just wanted to make them proud.

“And as for Sofia, I’m going to apologize. I need to tell her so she understands, because you…you won’t.”
She moved towards the door and stood there on the balance of two rooms. “Just so you know, Kyier, I don’t care that you hate me. And I don’t care that he saved my life. I would still much rather see you as King than Joshua.” She tried to smile only slightly, but her face hurt. She was still upset about Aunt Vivian and her Uncle Alphonse, two amazing people who she was going to miss every day for the rest of her life.

She moved away from Kyier, taking his silence as something else…something awful, and she wanted to excuse herself from the room. She followed outside, where she glanced around for Sofia. She was sitting near one of the larger trees, staring off angrily into space.
“Sofia!” She called, moving towards her. The girl got up and actually tried to run away from her. That in its self almost sent Elisabeth into a fit of tears. She ran after her, calling to her in a pointless way. She fell in beside her and grabbed her around her waist and tried to pull her into her. “Sofia, please…just listen to me …just know I’m sorry. I never meant to hurt you. And I would never do anything to betray you. I don’t know what he was thinking when he burned down the homes, but…Joshua…the Pianist would never do something to intentionally hurt someone, which is why I want to find out more about him, and…why he keeps saving me,” she said. She didn’t know if Sofia was listening to her. She didn’t know if she was even trying anymore? Not even Elisabeth knew anymore, because the stained glass picture of her life was already shattering before her.
Sofia wiggled from the woman's grasp and shook her head in anger. How could someone be so stupid?! There was no way the man who had burnt down her home was a good one. Sofia didn't care that he had saved Elisabeth. He murdered Grace! If Elisabeth was going to be his friend, than she was certainly no friend of hers. Sofia shoved her, and then again, taking no solace in the honest tears the Duchess shed. She pushed passed her, walking away in a heated manner, praying that Elisabeth would be wise enough to follow her no longer. Sofia pushed on to the courtyard, taking a seat at the piano bench. The bitter winds nipped at her cheeks and fingers, the gray skies threatening rain for the evening... Kyier watched the child from the window. From the corner of his eye he could see the portrait of his aunt and uncle hanging proudly upon the wall. Both of their gentle eyes were on him, almost as if they were pleading he grant them this one last favor. He sighed and walked toward them, his finger reaching to gently grace over his aunt's smiling face. "If I must." A saddened smirk pulled at his lips. Kyier hastily wiped away his tears before they could stain his face, "Only because I-I owe you." The Marquess took a deep breath and snatched his coat from the hanger after instructing Sebastien to stay with Sofia at all times. They wouldn't be far from the children, and at least with Sofia's abilities, she'd be able to sense anyone coming.

He made his way out into the yard, not having a bit of trouble finding the girl with a tangled poof of chestnut hair and rose colored dress splayed out over the ground. He rolled his eyes at her display and must have scared her. She jumped at the sight of him standing over her. "So what was that about Sofia understanding?" He wasn't trying to be smug, in all honesty, words just seemed to escape him at present. Without looking at her, he held out his jacket, not caring to watch her pathetically shiver. She blinked some tears from her eyes as she gawked up at him with such disbelief. Kyier growled, "Just take it." He sat down beside her, though kept at least a foot of distance between them. "I know we don't get along, and I'm no less than cruel to you at any given time, but I have never once lied to you, have I? Perhaps half-truths at some points and other times too blunt of truths, but never a lie. I'm telling you now that Joshua is using you. He doesn't care about you at all. He saved you to gain your trust, and now he's going to use that to his advantage if you let him." He glanced at her, perturbed by the way she was watching him so attentively. "I believe you naive and half-witted, but I never thought you evil. Don't mix with Joshua, please just take my word on it. Oh...and about Uncle Alphonse... For reasons I will never understand, the man was proud of you. My Ma'ma wouldn't shut up about how much he spoke and praised you after he had met you. Uncle was a hard man, Elisabeth. It took me years to win his affections, especially after a few misdeeds in my childhood... But you would never know that because he didn't show that side of himself to you. That says something." Before he realized it, Elisabeth had scooted closer to him and cast her arms around his waist. She had him in too tight a hold for him to simply back away now. His body grew tense and his arms lifted to the side as if someone had spilled some disgusting substance over his clothes. He grumbled a bit to himself, "I was merely trying to talk some damn sense into you. Nothing I said warranted so heavy a punishment." he grieved.
“Kyier, I-,” Elisabeth began, “Sorry,” She said. She pulled away from him and let him breathe, “Oh!” She said, finally pulling him in for another tight hug, her arms wrapping around his lithe frame. “You’re so…warm,” She said, before a sudden blaze of intense heat hit around her and she backed away. “Sorry, again,” she looked up at him. “I’ll take your words with me to heart, Kyier. I just…this is so much. In all honesty, I never thought he’d be the man who saved me. I suppose I would be honestly stupid not to see why it doesn’t make any sense…but aren’t we all supposed to look for the good in people?”
She looked away for a moment, “So, I am to do that. Even if it isn’t something I ever wanted. But I won’t forget your words. So, thank you. Now I only hope my decisions eventually allow Sofia to trust me again,” She said as she chewed on her bottom lip nervously. “Will you excuse me? I think I have a letter to write,” She said and touched his arm gently before wandering aimlessly back towards the manor. She sat near the desk, her quill working quickly towards against the parchment:

Dear Mama,
I wish you were back here now. I could really use you and Papa here by my side. I bear unhappy tidings today. The King and Queen, my own Aunt and Uncle have been killed as an act of war and aggression from Devonshire. I also come with warnings, please, please be careful. Van Hollen is right on the edge of Devonshire, and any attacks now could directly affect the farm, or even attack Van Hollen. I would hope they would leave our small town be, but nobody knows the terror war brings.
I am so truly devastated about my relatives. I only wanted to make them proud as I do you and Papa, and now they’re gone and there is nobody else here. I wish I could speak with Anita, but she and Cederick have yet to return. I almost hesitate to ask you…but would you be interested in coming here to the City once more, for protection? We are very well secured. I just love you and Papa so much and don’t want anything to happen.
Do you recall my letter to you informing you of the Masked Pianist who had saved my life? I thought it was…well, never mind. I just found out who he truly was, and it is disappointing to say the least. I know Papa always told me that I had to be thankful for what I was given, because we were never given much. I am thankful to have such a kind gentleman who is willing to risk his life to save me. But I thought it was more. And he isn’t a kind man. I wonder if he is as much as a “beast” as Kyier is was. Kyier has been…kind to me. In his own way of course, I still believe us to be great friends. But this man, he has been so cruel Mama. He tried to kill Sofia, because he burned down their homes…homes of innocents. I will admit I had forgotten a bit because when I found out his identity, I was happy to find out who it was. But that part of me, those butterflies in my stomach never existed. And now I ask for your help. I need you and Papa. Life was so much more simple, so brown, so black and white, and I miss it. This is not the adventure I dreamed about…but I still would never give it up.
All my love,
Lucy/Elisabeth

She closed the letter and allowed the wax to settle. She held onto it to take it towards the post today. She changed her clothes, going for a more common look, with a dress of brown and red with a medium sized bustle, and a small hat she found in the back of her wardrobe. It was folded over like a paper boat, and had a red feather sticking freely in. She was instantly in love with it, even though it didn’t fit exactly on her head the way that was most comfortable.
She headed down the hall now, with the letter held firmly in her hands. “Sebastien!” She said, catching him coming down the hall in the other way. “Want to go into town with me today…please?” She asked, wanting anything but to be alone.
“Oh, uh, sure, Elisabeth,” He said, glancing past her as the sound of a door shut. “Can you just give me a few minutes?” he asked. He moved down the hall, Elisabeth continuing on her own towards the stairs, and she waited patiently for him outside. She had a lot to think about today, and her mind was heavy with the constant stress and thoughts of everything. She saw Sebastien coming downstairs, and he gave her a polite smile. She wondered where he had been, but had an idea so she didn’t ask of him.
“Ready?” She asked.
“As I’ll ever be,” he responded, tugging up his jacket. They moved towards the door, Elisabeth’s hand on his back, and they moved towards the village.

She looked back to glance at the house, and offered a small smile before continuing down the path. She spoke softly with Sebastien, afraid that one foul word may sever the ties with him as well as the others, too.
“You’re quiet,” Sebastien said, the two now walking along the cobblestone path near the shoppe windows.
“I have a lot to think about,” She said, grinning at him.
“Oh,” he merely said, before heading towards the postal shoppe, opening the door for her. He seemed so different, so quiet today. He watched as she spoke with the shoppe owner, handing him a parcel. And then when they left, back into the late chilly morning.
“Do you want to get something to eat, or do anything while we’re in town?” She asked.
“Can I go back to my house?” He asked suddenly, and he looked around with her. Elisabeth didn’t know if that was the best idea, but the look on his face melted her heart. So they headed down the ways, going to the street where Sebastien grew up. When they got there, Elisabeth was surprised at how well maintained. Someone had been trimming the hedges and making sure the home stayed that…a home, despite what it missed. Sebastien ran forward, and he opened the door.

Elisabeth stayed back, watching him look at the house, and then she too followed him up the stairs. She didn’t see any neighbors around; nobody was outside their homes all connected, their small houses framed together in a thick line. This was the first time that she was in his house, and when she entered she was surprised. The home had been maintained, probably by the King and Queen. Inside there were pictures along the small walls. It was a kitchenette to the left side, with a sink and table, and then a small hall that lead into a living room with small fireplace. Stairs went upwards to the right of the house, and she thought that Sebastien had gone upstairs. She followed him, looking at the pictures of him and his parents. The sepia toned images included his family, his mother and father smiling proudly. That was her favourite, the one where Sebastien was on top of the large, brawny man’s shoulders, and Sera had been smiling happily next to them.
Upstairs there were two bedrooms, and a toilet. She looked into the smaller of the two rooms, expecting Sebastien to be in his old bedroom, but he wasn’t…he was in his parent’s room, sitting on the bed and looking outside. “You miss them, don’t you?” She asked, coming around to him. He looked up and smiled wetly.
“Yes…a lot. And everything with the King and Queen dying, and it just sort of made me miss them more.”
“Sebastien,” Elisabeth said, “I miss them too, and my parents and my birth parents…” She said, final sitting near him.
“But you never even met them….” He replied. She smiled and nodded, because she knew that.
“I know, and I will never understand why I was not allowed to do that, why Lumos took them from me before I had a chance of growing up. It will be okay, Sebastien, I promise…”
Sofia watched outside the little window, looking in just as Elisabeth and Sebastien traveled up the stairs. She had followed them secretly to the home, keeping hidden in the shadows. Watching them together, Sofia felt absolutely stricken and abandoned. Tears welled from her icy blue eyes, falling as a steady stream to stain her frilly dress. She hated the thing now. If only she had other garments aside from the ones Elisabeth had purchased her. Sofia wanted nothing to do with the woman now. How could she do this to her? She had tricked her into trusting her, acting like she honestly cared when in reality... It was all superficial. Her kind heart was nothing but a joke. Sofia slid her back down the wall, falling down into the grass that had begun to become wet with water. She looked up to the raining drops. The skies had become gray and saddened, almost as if they were weeping with her. Their steps creaked the wooden stairs as Elisabeth and Sebastien shuffled downward. Sofia silenced herself, looking only at the clasped hands of the pair as they walked into the rain without a hint of knowledge to her presence. The laughed and giggled, picking up their pace in the weather that was somehow funny to them. Idiots. Sofia's lip quivered. They were dancing together... Carrying on as if they hadn't a care in the world. She waited for them to disappear from view before standing back onto her shaking feet. The little girl walked alone through the streets, not carrying that the rain drenched her from head to toe. Everyone else ran about, fiddling with umbrellas and hurrying into their homes or shoppes to take shelter from the rain. Sofia kicked a pebble at her feet, watching to bounce over the cobblestone before hitting against the immaculate fountain the midst of the square. The great lion's head seemed to be watching her, it's brilliant golden eyes filling her with a brief feeling of warmth. She ran her fingers over the smooth stone, so lost in thought that she hardly noticed the voice calling her name through the increasing rain. Thunder rumbled in the distance, and though the sound was kind of scary, lightning never really bothered her.

"Sofia? Oh, Sofia- It is you! What on earth are you doing out in this storm?" Mathius' hand came down on her shoulder, startling her only some. She jumped a bit, spinning around to look up at the apothecary from her rain-soaked bangs. He smiled at her, taking a step closer so that his green umbrella sheltered her as well. Mathius knelt down, tilting his head to try and figure out if she had been crying or if it was merely the rain. Judging by the puffiness of her eyes, however... His expression softened for her when he offered out his hand. "Do Kyier or Elisabeth know you are gone?" he questioned. Sofia didn't answer him, but then... He had an idea. "Come on, how about you come back with me to the shoppe? I'm just getting back from lunch so it's time to open up again, though I don't think we'll be doing much business today." he sighed. "Days like this are great for replenishing the stock. I bet you'd make a great assistant." Sofia rose her eyebrow curiously at the idea. She took his hand and allowed Mathius to pull her along. The bell tolled their entrance after the man fiddled awhile with his keys. He shook out his umbrella and placed it in the holder. "Make yourself comfortable, Sofia. Oh! And we should get you out of those soaked clothes. Hmm... I don't really... Ah ha, well here's a blanket. Oh, and I think I still have- Yes!" He emerged from behind the curtain that led to the back room with a travel bag in his hand. "I returned from my last venture much sooner than I had planned, so lucky for you, I have some clean clothes I keep forgetting to take home."

The little girl looked a the the blouse and sweater vest she had been handed, then back up at the man. How exactly did he expect her to wear these? He was a giant compared to her! He chuckled heartily, "Just go do your best and I'll help you when you come out." Sofia huffed, but obeyed anyway, hurrying off to the back room that he had directed her to. She looked around the place. It was simple and cozy, decorated a lot like his home. He had pictures of his mother and father as well as Kyier's parents sitting out on a desk and a few end tables. She walked over to a dark corner where a potted plant grew all alone in the shadows. She stared at it for a good while, the purple flowers gorgeous an blooming, almost creating a light of its own. Sofia smiled at it, stepping back to wiggle from the soaked dress. She quickly dabbed herself dry before pulling the shirt over head, shivering just a bit until the vest added a much needed layer of warmth to the outfit. Luckily, her boots had kept her sockies nice and dry. Once she was all done, she shuffled over to the curtain, nearly taking a tumble, tripping over the bottom of Mathius' shirt that got tangled under her feet. The apothecary laughed, kneeling down before her to tug it up just enough so that it was well away from her feet. He tied a rope around her tiny waist and helped her to roll up the sleeves that were laughably long. "There, now. Not too shabby. I would dare say you even look sharp."

~~

The Marquess pushed the piles of papers covering his desk to the side, not caring that some dropped half-haphazardly to the floor. Noir hissed, the black kitten leaping from the stray papers that had fallen atop him. He stared down at the one remaining paper before him, reading his aunt's words over and over. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

My dearest nephew, as you are hopefully unaware, I am no longer a young maiden. My years have become lost to me and to my great despair, the Gods have not blessed Alphonse and I with children of our own. Helping my sister to raise you into the handsome, intelligent young man you have become meant the world to me. You and Mathius were the light of my life as children, and you still are today. I always loved when I would glance out my window and saw you and your father traveling down the lane. You were always so wickedly smart, too much so for your own good. I'd hug and kiss you, but always you would insist upon sitting in on your father and uncle's council than the "petulantly ridiculous games" Mathius and I would play. I often believed you knew more about the happenings of this kingdom than even I. Ah, but that facade of yours. You never fooled any who loved you, Kyier. We all know how deeply you care for the welfare of others. Your soul is golden, Dear, no matter how much it is to your chagrin. You were born with a King's heart, just like your father. Alphonse, bless his heart, so envies Cederick and I fear he would be lost without his guidance. There are times, where even you make him feel inferior as a leader. I can only imagine your face after reading that last sentence, but what I tell you in this confidence is truth. You have such an air about you, Kyier, no matter how much you try to deny it. Joshua, bless his heart, has not what is necessary to succeed your uncle's throne. I truly hope you will take this letter to heart. I place no pressure on you at this point, as you are still young and Alphonse and I have no desire to retire, but I just hope that one day you will believe in yourself as I do. It had never been a real question to me who we should choose. I love you so much, Sweetheart, and no matter what you may decide in the future, that will never change.

Love Always,
Auntie Vivi

She had presented the little note to him years ago on his thirteenth Birthday. He had been shocked to read it then, and now it only brought such immense grief. He couldn't stand disappointing his aunt. Why she ever had such faith in him, he never understood. Kyier folded the note up carefully and placed it safely in his pocket. He couldn't help but wonder if she still felt the same way now. Not long after she had given him the note, Kyier hastily dismissed the matter, burying it deep within himself. Of course, it was too late to be contemplating such things. He'd never again get the chance to speak with his aunt Vivi, and worse, to tell her that he loved her dearly as well. It pained him how he had brushed her off as a child, dismissing her playfulness as childish when perhaps really she had just been lonesome. She would have made such a wonderful mother. How he wished he could only tell her that now. With a heavy heart, he stood from his desk and went off toward the living quarters. Kyier paused at the coat rack, perplexed for a moment before he realized that he had stupidly given his away to the damn girl. He grumbled a few obscenities to himself and gathered one of his father's old coats into his arms. It would simply have to do for the time being. He threw it on quickly and left for the stables. The black stallion heard his approach, tapping its hoof to the ground in anticipation of the coming ride. The thunder cracked and roared, always close accompanied by its more dangerous partner. They made a dash for the castle, thoughts of his aunt and uncle's wishes churning in the Marquess' mind. He remembered a signed document his father and uncle had signed but a year ago, designating the throne to Cederick if anything should happen to the King or Queen that would render them incapable of holding the title. That was something Kyier had agreed with entirely. There was no one that was more suited for the throne than his father. The Marquess had looked up to the man for as long as he could remember. Cederick embodied nobility, and not in condescending, superiority cliche that is sometimes attached to those with noble blood. His father is the kind of man who instantly becomes respected by everyone he meets. A noble heart beats in his chest, one that works to make life better for those who live in anguish or peril as opposed to those willing to pay him the most. And amongst everything, he always carried himself with modesty. His father was everything he could only dream of becoming. Kyier laughed inwardly at the idea of him ever becoming a father. Oh, what a terrible disaster that would be. No. He was nothing like his own. Kyier was but half the man of his father.

The Marquess pulled tightly on the reins to slow the stead, leading the creature over to the castle stables where he sheltered him into the stall set aside only for his use. He pat the horse on the neck, turning on heel to head for the side entrance into the castle. His eyes shifted left and then right, watching for any guards that might try to stand in his way. Kyier brushed away the dirt and tore at the ivy that had grown over the wooden door, lifting the iron rings to force the passageway open. Slipping inside, Kyier brought a flame to the tip of his finger for light to navigate through the windings stone tunnels. He counted doors as he went, stopping at the fifth. Opening it carefully, he stepped into one of the main halls of the castle. Kyier dusted off his clothes quickly and set his sights toward the tower. There would be no use in searching through his aunt and uncle's bedroom. Any documents kept there would have Joshua's grubby fingers all over them. The same went for those in the throne or council rooms. What Joshua wasn't aware, was that their most prized and treasured belongings were kept somewhere much more secret. "Ah, if it isn't Kyier... It must be some business you have here not to use the front gates. I hope it is not to the dungeons you wander." A grim smirk played at Beatrice's lips as she watched the boy from under her darken hood. The Marquess tensed immediately at the mention, knowing damn way she only referred to his deepest regret to set him into disarray. "I think you should take your leave from here. It is unwise to meander in places you do not belong."

"Yes, well, I no not a time when crows were allowed to fly about the noble halls. Usually the ominous creature would be shot on spot." Kyier bit back his tongue, "I believe if you refer to my birth certificates, I have just the same right to roam these halls as your son. I ask that you step aside and mind your business... Auntie, lest I lose my tongue."

"Lose your tongue?" Beatrice questioned, her pointed nose rising into the air as she tilted her head. Her shawl wrapped largely around her shoulders, covering her entire body to her toes. She was mostly hidden behind the thing.

"Yes. I do not take kindly to those who berate my friends. You'll do well to choose your words more privy next time you encounter Mathius VanAelst," Kyier returned promptly.

The Duchess' chapped lip curled, "That poor scum? The pathetic boy who should be licking both my boots as well as yours? You would be so defensive over the treatment of a peasant to your own family? Shame on you, Kyier." Beatrice hissed. Her hood dropped into her outrage, and it was the first glance Kyier really got of her in what felt like years. She had grown so pale and sickly. He sharp features were gaunt, a few wrinkles lining tired, murderous eyes. The blonde of her hair looked to start to fade to gray, and it was clear by a few bare patches on her skull that it had been thinning. Perhaps Amaranth had finally dealt her the karma she deserved. Her outer beauty finally matched the soul within.

"Family?" Kyier spat. "I am ashamed you and I have the same blood coursing our veins. It is you who does not belong behind these walls!"

Beatrice's eyes widened, never having expected her nephew to state something so boldly to her face. Her eyes narrowed, her wrinkled hand running hard against his cheek. The slap echoed the halls, and only the thundering outside broke through the eerie silence afterward. "Guards! I will have this intruder taken as a prisoner. Throw him into the dungeons until he learn what manners are!" she cawed, her beaded eyes menacing. Kyier stood frozen, knowing better than to run. "You will not meddle in royal affairs, Marquess. As soon as my son is declared rightful king I will have you striped of your title, you ungrateful little p***k."

"Go to Hell." Kyier hissed under his breath while the guards grabbed each of his arms. They were two he certainly did not recognize, some of the Hastings' own hires, it seemed. They dragged him down the hall, the Marquess resisting naught. The trip to the dungeons seemed like an entirety, the iron bars squealing a greeting to their newest occupant. Beatrice had followed them, smirking down at the man who now lie on the dirty, infested ground. "Because you are my nephew, I will allow you your own private cell. Any more words from you that are uttered out of distaste and I will place you with some less than savory individuals." she just about tutted, her air of arrogance suffocating Kyier. "I might revisit you in a weeks time and present you with the opportunity to beg forgiveness for your indecencies. You should think well on it, Nephew. What is a kiss of a boot to your freedom?" she cackled, the door slamming shut behind her as Kyier was enveloped in absolute darkness.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff