Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Hunter

Hello there, Gaia! My friend, Mama Chaos Dragon, and I are making a high fantasy video game. Unfortunately, this is a large project that would take quite a bit of time with just the two of us. We are looking for writers, concept artists, animators, programmers, etc. to help us make our dream a reality.

We don't have any money to pay until the game is published, upon which everyone will receive royalties. Until then, we will gift little presents both on site, and off.

The story has gotten a little out of hand, and has evolved into a trilogy. SO needless to say, summarizing the bundle of awesome that is the game will be hard. We do have a blog with some ideas, and concept art. If you join the team you will be added to the blog, so you can see the drafts of the script.

We have races created, a pantheon done, some world lore, and a rough script.

The jumbled main summaries are below. Need clarification? Just ask!

Game One, Blood Bond: The player (either male, or female) runs into an injured dragon.The dragon then "bonds" with the player. Through the dragon the player learns of a great evil threatening the land. The great evil ends up being a necromancer, who is stealing dragon eggs (which are rare) and twisting them into chaotic, mutant dragons. He is also raising an undead army, and spreading disease everywhere. The player journeys across the land, gathering companions and shaping the world (along with changing history, in the case of a certain kingdom), before finally defeating the necromancer.

Game Two: The God of War breaks out of the celestial prison the other gods have placed him in, causing war to erupt all over the world. The player ventures around, gathering new companions, running into old ones, and trying to stop the war. It is also revealed that the necromancer from game one was actually a pawn for a Lich, who is still causing trouble. The player may, or may not, deal with the Lich this game.

Game Three: The gods go to war with each other. The player must venture to the planes of the gods, choose a side, and stop the war.

Edit: Please be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement upon application!

Devoted Informer

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Phoebe your speaking to my dream right now im going into video game creation as my profession. I would love to help you make your game if you would have me.

And if you wondering what i can contribute i am a writer and a learning animator and code programmer. For now i can help write your story and then later help you code and design.

Blessed Hunter

mega fire13

Send me a PM with your email so I can send you a non-disclosure agreement for you to sign. :3

Also, would you ever be willing to meet up face to face, or on video chat if we live too far away, to work in person with us? If not, we are fine with just working over the internet.

I will also need your full name and address to finish the non-disclosure document.
What programming language/engine are you guys planning to use?
Kairi Nightingale

We're leaning more towards making our own engine. We figure if we used someone elses, that would require lawyers and paper work and money that we just don't have at the moment.

Do you have any particular thoughts on the matter?

(aslo, sorry this doesn't sound too technical. I'm one of the writers/concept artists. Tech just isn't my thing.)
sweatdrop
Mama Chaos Dragon
Kairi Nightingale

We're leaning more towards making our own engine. We figure if we used someone elses, that would require lawyers and paper work and money that we just don't have at the moment.

(aslo, sorry this doesn't sound too technical. I'm one of the writers/concept artists. Tech just isn't my thing.)
sweatdrop

I'm just a novice programmer and was curious, to be honest. ^.^;

I'd say making your own is probably a good idea, though, if only because I'm not familiar with the copyright laws on that kind of stuff. In regards to that, I suggest doing some research since you guys plan on publishing. Even if you are making your own for now, it's useful knowledge that you may be able to use later or else pass on to others.

You didn't mention what programming language you're using, but if you don't really have anything set up in regards to programming yet, I suggest using C++, Code Blocks as the compiler, and SDL for graphics. It's what I use and works well enough for me. C++, like Java, is a very popular language for games and is very flexible; Code Blocks is a stable freeware and my personal favorite when it comes to C++ compilers; While SDL can be a bit annoying to install, it's fairly simple to learn and use and there are a couple good tutorials online for it.

There are a couple animation freeware programs out there too (I like Pencil) but make sure to do some research on your compiler/programming language/etc. and talk with your programmers about what type of animation you want in the game (like if you plan on having actual cut-scenes with drawn animation or nothing really beyond the sprite and background movements) so you know what to look for in an animation/paint/art program.

There are other programming languages and compilers out there, of course, but whichever you choose, be sure to choose now and announce that information when looking for programmers (if you don't already) so that you get programmers already familiar with what you're using.

And just in case you don't know this already, but writing a story for a game isn't like writing a story for a novel. It takes a lot of interaction between the different groups working on the project. It's almost like writing a script - except you need to include player interaction at given points and all the little sub-dialogue/conversations/events spawned by player actions or decisions (if there are any). The writers also need to talk over character/setting concepts with the artists as well as be aware of the capabilities of the animators and programmers and make sure all drafts work for everyone and announce any changes to drafts, especially if they effect the game (and vice-versa; if the programmers are unable for some reason to do something the writer wrote, everyone needs to be notified of the problem and changes that occur because of it).

It's a big job, even just coordinating everyone (this is assuming you and your friend will be the leaders of the project) and while it's is fantastic that you guys are making a game, it's a lot more work than you think. Even if you think it's a lot of work, it's a lot more work than you think. xD (Some of this is said from experience.)

Again, I'm just a hobbyist, but was hoping to pass off some thoughts since I've attempted to make small games before. I'm not sure how experienced you guys are in making games so I thought I'd add in my two cents. ^.^ In any case, best of luck on your project.
Kairi Nightingale
Mama Chaos Dragon
Kairi Nightingale

sweatdrop

I'm just a novice programmer and was curious, to be honest. ^.^;

I'd say making your own is probably a good idea, though, if only because I'm not familiar with the copyright laws on that kind of stuff. In regards to that, I suggest doing some research since you guys plan on publishing. Even if you are making your own for now, it's useful knowledge that you may be able to use later or else pass on to others.

You didn't mention what programming language you're using, but if you don't really have anything set up in regards to programming yet, I suggest using C++, Code Blocks as the compiler, and SDL for graphics. It's what I use and works well enough for me. C++, like Java, is a very popular language for games and is very flexible; Code Blocks is a stable freeware and my personal favorite when it comes to C++ compilers; While SDL can be a bit annoying to install, it's fairly simple to learn and use and there are a couple good tutorials online for it.

There are a couple animation freeware programs out there too (I like Pencil) but make sure to do some research on your compiler/programming language/etc. and talk with your programmers about what type of animation you want in the game (like if you plan on having actual cut-scenes with drawn animation or nothing really beyond the sprite and background movements) so you know what to look for in an animation/paint/art program.

There are other programming languages and compilers out there, of course, but whichever you choose, be sure to choose now and announce that information when looking for programmers (if you don't already) so that you get programmers already familiar with what you're using.

And just in case you don't know this already, but writing a story for a game isn't like writing a story for a novel. It takes a lot of interaction between the different groups working on the project. It's almost like writing a script - except you need to include player interaction at given points and all the little sub-dialogue/conversations/events spawned by player actions or decisions (if there are any). The writers also need to talk over character/setting concepts with the artists as well as be aware of the capabilities of the animators and programmers and make sure all drafts work for everyone and announce any changes to drafts, especially if they effect the game (and vice-versa; if the programmers are unable for some reason to do something the writer wrote, everyone needs to be notified of the problem and changes that occur because of it).

It's a big job, even just coordinating everyone (this is assuming you and your friend will be the leaders of the project) and while it's is fantastic that you guys are making a game, it's a lot more work than you think. Even if you think it's a lot of work, it's a lot more work than you think. xD (Some of this is said from experience.)

Again, I'm just a hobbyist, but was hoping to pass off some thoughts since I've attempted to make small games before. I'm not sure how experienced you guys are in making games so I thought I'd add in my two cents. ^.^ In any case, best of luck on your project.

In Regards to the script writing, believe me, I know lol
From what little I've written already, and because we want this to be as doable as possible without sacrificing detail, it's getting really complicated. But I'm actually having fun with it! There's also a prequel novel I'm working on. But since you say we should collaborate with animators and programmers as we write, I'll take a break from the official script for now. Good thing I'm not that far. o3o

Thanks for this input on the programming language. We weren't sure which we should use. Phoebe is actually going into college for programming so we won't be totally blind to the situations. Plus I personally know a couple of people who know stuff about programming and coding and all that wonderfully complex tech stuff that I just can't figure out. :/

Even if your aren't interested in helping with the actual game, we very much appreciate any constructive feedback and helpful input people can give us! This game is like our baby. Just 'cause things get hard doesn't mean we're gonna drop it without a fight. :3
Again, thanks for your input. Feel free to help out like this whenever the mood strikes you. biggrin

Phoebe The Master Thief

Phoebe look! Words!
Mama Chaos Dragon

In Regards to the script writing, believe me, I know lol
From what little I've written already, and because we want this to be as doable as possible without sacrificing detail, it's getting really complicated. But I'm actually having fun with it! There's also a prequel novel I'm working on. But since you say we should collaborate with animators and programmers as we write, I'll take a break from the official script for now. Good thing I'm not that far. o3o

Thanks for this input on the programming language. We weren't sure which we should use. Phoebe is actually going into college for programming so we won't be totally blind to the situations. Plus I personally know a couple of people who know stuff about programming and coding and all that wonderfully complex tech stuff that I just can't figure out. :/

Even if your aren't interested in helping with the actual game, we very much appreciate any constructive feedback and helpful input people can give us! This game is like our baby. Just 'cause things get hard doesn't mean we're gonna drop it without a fight. :3
Again, thanks for your input. Feel free to help out like this whenever the mood strikes you. biggrin

Sure thing!

I have a book on video game writing, which is how I happen to know a lot about the writing part. (I know you said you knew a lot about the style already but it's a good book (although a bit expensive) so here's the title if you're ever interested: Video Game Writing From Macro to Micro by Maurice Suckling and Marek Walton.)

As for the programming/animation, there are hundreds of different options out there. What you end up doing will probably depend on the first programmer you recruit (or whatever Phoebe happens to learn) and what they know how to use and do. But there are limitations depending on tools and ability which is why it's important that everyone be on the same page in regards to what's going into the game. It's probably a good idea to take a break on the draft; don't want to end up writing 10,000 words only to find out the programmers can't make a major event work out in code.

But you guys seem to have a lot of drive and I admire that a lot. Don't give that up!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff