Welcome to Gaia! ::

1,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Hi there! I am the new kid on the block, and I have a story base that I sadly don't have the focus to write out. I have a few of the characters here, and a general world idea.

If you would like to help, just make suggestions, characters, and so on.

Here is the base:

Nyrian, World at War.
Nyrian is a massive world, filled with wonders of architecture, nature, and humanity.
Nyrian means “Widelands” in the dead languages of the Wider times, before the reclamation of the Gyllaian (Borderlands). Humans have always been around, and there are many records of many civilizations that have come and gone, some are full unabridged volumes, written with precision on old papers. Others are vague mentionings and seeming prophecies scratched into rocks.
The most recent disaster to reduce a civilization to dust was the Reclamation of Gyrian, a revolt of nature against the burden of humanity in which a rush of pent-up magicks blasted against the Gyrian Wall, crushing the Wall itself into rubble, and causing vines and trees to sprout ferociously. This wave of growth smashed against the cities, crushing the best defenses that their mages could muster. Anything that was cut grew back tenfold to consume whatever tried to maim it. Nature held her grudge for many a year, and finally, she could not be held back by petty trick-charmers. The Gyrian was made by humans into a well ordered farming land on the outskirts of civilization. But when the Reclamation occurred, nature remade the land into a wild jungle that overgrew almost all signs of humanity, drowning it all in a sea of life.
Gyrian was the main food source for the human empire of the time, so it all crumbled without a steady food supply. Now Humanity is reduced once more to small villages and tribes, only recently building few small cities and towns. This is where the story begins, in a world where humans are recovering from a disaster, and folk are still wary of mages and their kin.
Main characters:
Jhossalyn: a young fisherman’s daughter. She is about 5”6, has sun-darkened skin, dark brown hair that goes down to the back of her calves, and a wiry frame. She is left-handed, has blueish-green eyes, thin lips, and a sharp nose. Her face is sharp, her cheekbones are high, and her eyebrows are thin, delicate lines. Jhossalyn was born in the small sea-side hamlet of Nor (sky) into a poor family of 3, her fisherman father Dinre, innkeep mother Malia, and older brother Darius, who went away to a far-off city. Jhossalyn always was an adventurous young girl, at the behest of her parents and most of the adults of Nor. This natural curiosity was nurtured by her brother Darius, who also was an adventurous troublemaker. Together they did many things, until Darius was exiled from the village for “disturbing the peace.” Jhossalyn was saddened afterwards, losing much of her adventurous nature. But one day, she met a stranger that gave her a note from her brother. This reignited her fire for exploration, and so she decided to put Nor behind her, travelling North as Darius did. After a week of travelling, she was beset on all sides by wild wolves, where Rheya found her and came to her rescue.
Rheya du’Gyie: the eldest daughter of a clan leader. She is 6”1, very dark skinned with black hair, bright blue eyes, and a very muscular frame. She is ambidextrous, with a round face, broad facial features, large eyes, and full lips. Her face always has an intense expression on it, as if she were never jovial. Rheya grew up in the Wilds as the eldest daughter of the Clan Gindyal (Wild-wanderers) leader, Jurone du’Gyie. Rheya was raised tough and brutal, a slayer of beasts and man. Her clan was one of the few that survived in the deep jungles of the Wild, where wild beasts and daemons roamed, terrorizing humans. She was cast out from her village as a part of her coming of age ceremony, in which she had to roam the world and return alive in two years. It was about a month into this that she came across Jhossalyn about to be eaten by Wolves. Rheya rushed in screaming, and managed to escape with Jhossalyn in tow. Rheya and Jhossalyn did not really like each other at first. Where Jhossalyn was reckless and adventurous, Rheya was cautious and reserved, rebuking the former for her reckless nature. But after a while of travelling together, they grew to be inseparable. They travelled to Ghyross (over-the-past), the city on Ruins, where they were fortunate to come across Veldin, an apothecary with scholarly tendencies.
Veldin: a smart-alec apothecary who has studied vast amounts of ancient lore. That’s all I got on him so far….

If anyone can help with the ancient language, I would be greatly pleased. rofl
What if, perhaps, you used a language already existing, such as latin? Or perhaps the ancient base of English?

Developing a new language certainly fleshes out a world, but it also kind of leaves the reader in the dark.

Sometimes you can say something in italics, and have the speech state it's spoken in another language. Since you are essentially subtitling it then.

Unless people speaking the other language are saying things you don't want the reader to know...

1,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Well, I would do that, but the language is for names of ancient places, and modern locations.
dramallama
Wouldn't it be best to make up the name of a place, and then apply the language later?

1,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Nyrian, World at War.
Derp
I meant the towns...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash