Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
(Please do not post here unless you have express permission from both Midnight Embers (a.k.a Blade_Angel) and Hushabye.)

| ~Burnt Rain~ |

Setting

In the future, the over-population of the world leads to drastic over-crowding, as well as the merging of all of the cities of north-east America into one big megalopolis. The air in this city is thick with pollution, and crowds of people fill the streets, as gas is now too expensive for people to use cars. Above their heads, light railway cars zoom past, much like the trams of the days of old. Words of almost every language of the planet can be heard in the air, being called from vendor to shopper or a building's window to a pedestrian.

Current Cast

Victoria Stryker (Tori, for short.)
Appearance: Almost leopard-like, in that she is strong and sleek at the same time. Medium-length black hair (as in, just past shoulders), always drawn up sharply. Ice-blue eyes. Has a few android parts (right arm from elbow down, some places in shoulders and stomach as well), because she was nearly killed as a child in a building collapse.
History: Lost both of her parents in a black-market incident (smugglers). Has been on her own since age 9 (building collapse at 13).
Personality: Was a very scrappy child, maturing into a sharp, near-deadly young adult. Very focused. Sometimes quiet, but firm with her orders and opinions. Doesn't necessarily have to "fight to survive", because she's become excellent at the whole survival-game. Smokes. However, can break down under the right circumstanes. Carries a gun, naturally. Among other weapons.

Ellen
Appearance: a homeless girl, wearing an over-large coat and boots, very short hair, slightly grubby.
History: She used to live in the main city train station, but just got kicked out.
Personality: Quiet, but very defensive of her property, wary of attackers or muggers and so on, and, after a few years on the streets, willing to do many things in order to survive, including picking pockets if it looks easy.

Seth Jamison Pierce
Appearance:A man standing approximately 6'2'', his dusty brown hair perpetually unruly. He's weighed down by the grime of the city, and the responsibility he has to himself to stay alive. One of his eyes is as black as night, while the other shines an dull rust color. He's half blind, but it is exceedingly difficult to tell which eye is natural. They are both constantly moving, sizing people up, memorizing faces and patterns. He dresses in torn jeans and a shredded t-shirt, topped off, almost elegantly given the circumstances, by a long black duster with ragged edges. Fingerless gloves protect his hands when it rains fire, because his hands most valuable attributes. He's a professional theif, taking what he needs to live and a bit more to gain profit.
History:Never had, or wanted to have, any recollection of the woman who birthed him or the father that left him on the streets. People were desperate in the day's world, and having a child to tote around wasn't all that appealing. Both parents abandoned him in a desperate attempt to keep what they could for themselves. His father first, and then his broken-hearted mother. It was her intention for the child to die from exposure, but he was never so lucky. He grew quick and nimble with sticky fingers and silent footsteps.
Personality: He doesn't carry weapons. People generally ignore him unless they are doing business with him...buying stolen property or food. The ability to seemingy melt into the shadows has earned him ignorance from the cops. He's sarcastic, witty, and fun-loving. He loves to joke and can almost never take anything or anyone seriously.

8,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Midnight's Notes for Hushabye:

I love you, you daft thing. Love you like a cupcake. A very shiny and magical cupcake.
Hushabye's Notes for Midnight:

None currently.
The first drops of rain began to fall on the masses of people on the sidewalk in the city, and umbrellas sprang up like mushrooms over the heads of the crowd in the mad dash for shelter from the acid. Ellen had no umbrella, but she'd suffered from acid rain burns before, so she just found the nearest doorway and tried to make herself as unnoticeable as possible, withdrawing her hands into the sleeves of her coat for protection. If only she hadn't spent that hundred on the Chinese food last night! But it had been worth it, she thought, licking her lips in remembrance. She hadn't eaten in days, and after being kicked out of her old spot in Main Station, she'd needed a nice warm place to go. The cops certainly seemed to be taking a firmer line with the homeless, like herself. She wondered where she could sleep tonight; Main Station had usually been safe up until now. She couldn't stay here in this doorway all night . . . but perhaps just until the rain stopped, she could curl up, as long as nobody saw her.

8,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
A small but sharp cough indicated that someone else shared the condemned doorway as well. A frown tugged at the corners of her lips as Tori looked over the young woman who had stumbled in from the acidic rain.

"What are you doing here?" She questioned quietly, as if she hadn't noticed the flurry of umbrellas growing up from the flow of people along the roads. Cold eyes examined the whelp before her, her mouth set in a thin, emotionless line.

<i>Just a street rat, isn't she? Young.</i> The thought crossed her mind and she relaxed slightly, back sinking to rest against the decaying doorframe to wait for the other's answer.
Oh crap, thought Ellen, glancing up to see a steely-eyed young woman standing in the doorway. She tensed up immediately, clenching her fists, her heart beating fast as she prepared to run or fight if needed. This girl looked like trouble, with the android parts Ellen could see on her arm and the muscles visible on her slender frame, and Ellen knew how testy these kind of people could be at the slightest offense.

"This your door?" she asked defensively, loth to venture out again in the increasing downpour.

8,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
"Perhaps." She allowed her head to rest against the doorframe as well, eyes still gazing down over the younger woman.

A faint grin fluttered over her face, drawing slender lines over the pale skin. It was obvious the girl was ready to move for either natural instinct, and for some reason, that amused Tori. Perhaps it was because she had become too used to the city. Her muscles only tensed in the nick of time, when absolutely necessary. No more extra exhertion; her motions were nearly catlike, now.

"Or perhaps not. Why, is it yours?"
Ellen eyed the other woman. She could see weapons all over her, but, as of right now, she didn't seem inclined to use them; in fact, she was unnervingly calm, as if every movement was calculated and planned.

Ellen decided she wasn't a threat at the moment. In response to the other woman's question, she grinned cheerily (she'd developed the grin as a good way of getting other people on her side, and it worked) and, sticking her hands in her pockets, said, "Nah, my mansion's on the nice side of town." She edged her foot away from a growing puddle of rain on the ground. Perhaps the other woman even knew a good place to stay the night, or would at least give her some cash out of pity. On the other hand, if she could see where her wallet was, the other woman might end up donating its entire contents.

8,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
A ghost of a chuckle pushed its way from her throat. Hey eyes scoped over the girl before her once move, a thin hand moving to draw her crow-black hair back over her shoulder, then dropping to her side. The girl looked reasonably competant. Certainly not thoroughly so, but enough. She'd speak to her, but not without caution. Even the young ones couldn't be dealt with easily, these days.

"Cute." She told the other, "Very cute. What's your name, hm kid?"
Ellen grinned her most charming lovable waif grin. Yeah, this one might be good for a handout. "I'm Ellen," she said, unearthing a hand from a pocket, wiping it on her coat, aware of her black fingernails, and extending it to the stranger. "Now what might you be called? I bet a person like you has a really interesting name, huh? Or are you one of those 'nameless' types?"

8,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
A small snort wormed its way from between Tori's lips.

"Hardly nameless. Stryker. Victoria Stryker." She told the younger woman, taking the hand offered her for as brief a handshake as possible. Touching other people was not really her forte. "You're certainly out late enough. Haven't got a place to stay?" Of course, no one <i>really</i> had a place to stay, these days. A legal place, that is. There were plenty of not-really-places in which one could stash themselves for a night or two.
Victoria Stryker, thought Ellen. It wasn't the name she would have expected from a woman like this. She pulled her collar up around her neck, forfeiting any pretense at fashion for the sake of warmth. "I did," said Ellen in reply to the other woman's question, a hint of bitterness creeping into her jovial tone. "Haven't you heard? The cops are cracking down. They kicked us all out of the main station this morning. Almost literally." It might not have been what one might call a proper place to stay, but it had been her home for - how long now? She shivered, a natural reaction that she didn't bother to hide.

"Anyway, it ain't that late," she said pathetically, looking at Victoria. "I'm a night owl, me! Who needs to go to bed, anyway?" Did the silent woman know a safe place to stay? More importantly, would she tell her where it was if she did? It didn't seem likely. Still, Ellen was getting tired; she could feel a yawn gathering, and suppressed it.

8,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
A thin smile tugged at the corner of her lips. Although compassion was not something she necessarily enforced, she <i>did</i> like spunk. And this one obviously had it. Maybe she even had what it took to live, at least for the time being.

"You need somewhere for the night?" She asked, leaning back against the doorframe a bit more. The girl was young. She could afford her at least somewhere dry.
Ellen sniffed nonchalantly in the cold night air. She pretended to consider the offer. "Well, I guess you need someone to watch your back. So . . . sure. As long as this place's safe from the cops."

Did she really trust this Victoria Stryker person? No, of course not, she thought, but with that wind that seemed to be getting even colder . . . she'd take her chances.

8,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Tori chuckled softly. "If that's how you would like to think of yourself, go ahead and 'cover my back'. No cops hang around this quarter any more. Not since a couple of them got taken care of, they leave us well enough on our own."

With that, she set her hand at the doorhandle. A small spark lit briefly at her fingertips, and the door swung open. She stepped into the hall, motioning for the younger to follow.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff