Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm looking for a brainstorming buddy. I don't really expect you to read my actual manuscripts (unless you really, really want to but I'm not going to push that - I'm shy with my early drafts sweatdrop ). However, I'd like someone to listen to me rant about my stories and help talk through some plot issues.

My stories are long and often complex and so it's going to be a lot of information and I'm putting a lot of trust into whoever volunteers to not take my story bits for themselves and to not share my information with anyone else. I actually doubt this will happen and don't really believe in stealing ideas to a degree - if you want to use a similar premise or take a general aspect of one of my ideas, fine. Just let me know so I'm not surprised if I find out about it (plus I'd be interested to see how someone else decided to handle a similar concept). But if I find out that you're working on a story with too many specific similarities to mine, I will speak up about it and possibly break up the buddy relationship.

Anyway, I'm not asking anyone to do this for nothing. I'd be more than happy to return the favor. If you need help with feedback, brainstorming, or even story research, I'll help in any way I can. I also role play a bit (although I prefer groups) so if you want to try role playing out something, I'd be willing to do that too. However, if I see a potential issue or am asked for feedback, I won't hold back. I'm really honest and thorough with these kinds of things. (And please don't try to limit my feedback. You can tell me to focus on certain things and ask specific questions, but if I see a grammar mistake within a draft or a unrelated plot/character inconsistency or something, I will point it out.) I try to be polite about it but please don't ask me for feedback unless you're ready for it and are tough enough to take criticism. And I expect the same of you.

So I'm looking for a buddy who:

- Enjoys fantasy, supernatural, and sci-fi genres. My works mainly focuses on fantasy and playing with mythologies, with some sci-fi influences. The setting is always in an original world though. I really love mythologies so if you happen to know a little bit about that stuff, even better.

- Is willing to read through my rants and ask questions or help bounce ideas.

- Writes a similar genre. This isn't actually a requirement; I'm open to reading just about anything as long as it doesn't have explicit content, but I find the genres I mentioned and sub-categories the most interesting and will therefore do better in giving feedback. I'm not comfortable with giving feedback on fanfiction unless I happen to be really familiar with the canon. You'd have to talk to me about that one. I'm also not comfortable with role-playing canon characters or doing anything explicit.

- Has some experience in writing. If you've written for a couple years or otherwise practice things like doing research and looking up tips, then that's good enough for me. You don't have to want to publish, but I'd like someone serious about improving their writing and stories, especially if they want feedback from me. I'm not professional level and don't plan on publishing, but I've been writing seriously for a few years now and have done a lot of research on the subject so I'm not bad at giving helpful criticism or tips when I can.

- Is willing to give honest feedback. I'm tough - you can be harsh as long as your constructive and not insulting toward me as a writer. If you see a problem, please tell me about it.

- Won't take it personally if I don't accept your ideas. Mostly, I just need someone to talk to. I'm completely open to ideas but please don't take it personally if I reject or otherwise decide to not use your idea. Rest assured that I'll always take ideas and feedback into consideration and if I don't accept your advice or suggestion, it's most likely for good reason. I will also give you the same courtesy should you seek feedback from me. As long as you take my feedback into some small consideration, I'll respect that you are completely free to do what you will with my comments.

- Open to civil discussions and debates. When I'm making a point, I'm usually very thorough. I can also get excitable when debating the pros and cons of an idea - please don't mistake this for me being annoying or stubborn. I really just like making my points clear and would never intentionally insult or irritate you.

- Is capable of coming on to check messages every day. That's not to say I expect you to message me back every day, but I'd like to work with someone who I can consistently be in contact with. I understand real life stuff can get in the way, but please don't abandon me without saying anything. Let me know if you're going to lack internet access or are quitting Gaia or otherwise want to stop the arrangement. I won't get mad or anything. I promise.

If you're interested, please post a little bit about yourself here. Let me know a about your favorite genres, writing experience or habits, and what kind of stories you're working on right now that you might like feedback in return. It'd be nice to know your age too, but certainly not necessary. (I'm 20 years old, by the way). I'll PM you back if I'm interested in being your writing buddy and we can go over details. I'm willing to work over Gmail chat or Google docs, if convenient. Just let me know if that would work for you. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask.
Hi there! I'm very interested in helping you brainstorm. I'm 17 and I write a little something almost every day. I usually write fantasy when writing fiction but I can really write anything. I don't have an active story of my own right now (I have like 50 that I started but am not currently working on) but I'd still love to help.
Kairi Nightingale

I think the two of us would get along FABULOUSLY!

I am twenty and have been writing for ten plus years, and my genres are exactly what you described. I was just recently looking for someone to bounce ideas off of and would be glad to return the favor.

If you would like to contact me outside of Gaia my email address is
cheyenne[dot]trumbo[at]yahoo[dot]com
Kairi Nightingale
If you're interested, please post a little bit about yourself here. Let me know a about your favorite genres, writing experience or habits, and what kind of stories you're working on right now that you might like feedback in return. It'd be nice to know your age too, but certainly not necessary. (I'm 20 years old, by the way). I'll PM you back if I'm interested in being your writing buddy and we can go over details. I'm willing to work over Gmail chat or Google docs, if convenient. Just let me know if that would work for you. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask.

I'm not really too comfortable giving away all the interesting dirt about me on a public forum, but, I'm Maltese Falcon. I'm twenty two, live on the West Coast, and have been serious about writing for the past two years, though I've dabbled in it for almost as long as I can remember. I'm pretty good about not running out on a friend, my work schedule might be... weird lately, but I'm willing to let you know ahead of time if I'll be unavailable for any sort of extended duration.

Oh. I'm also Canadian, so I might spell a few words differently. Colour and Armour, for example. Just keep that in mind.

Our favourite genres mostly match up, though I tend to favour the older flavours of fantasy and science fiction. Sword and Sorcery, Cyberpunk, that jazz. I've never gone too deep into Supernatural fiction, but I'm well versed enough in folklore to keep up, and my mythology should be up to snuff. I mostly specialize in Ancient Hebrew myths, but I study Greek, Roman, Egyptian and Norse as well, and possess a passing interest in both Mesopotamian, and Mesoamerican mythology.

I do a lot of things when it comes to writing. Right now what I'm working on is a science fiction roleplaying game, set in the far future. It's an idea that I've been toying with for months now, though I mothballed it a few months back, due to a combination of personal issues and lack of time. I've got an old design document floating around my Google Drive, but there's a lot of things I need to revise, and it's going to be some time before I've got anything ready to show off.

You don't need to worry. I'm not wonderful, but I'm competent enough with coding, graphics, and mapping to handle all of the technical aspects on my own, so, I really wouldn't expect a writing buddy to be able to offer any serious technical expertise. Mostly what I'm looking for is someone to look over my work, nit-pick it to hell, and help me patch up all the little stupid things I overlooked.

This project isn't commercial, and I'm using RPGmaker VX Ace. I'd make sure you get full credit for your help, but this thing is just a hobby of mine, and it isn't going to make any money. Here's a few screenshots from an older project of mine, it should give you a good idea of what this game will look and feel like, and the kinds of things I'm capable of:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm originally planned the game to feature a large 'hub' city, called Ur Rashdaan, but VX Ace can't handle large maps with lots of Events, and even with every little trick I could find to reduce the amount of lag, it was still too much. Still, I'm proud of how the entire city looked, so if you're curious you can find a basic map here.

Feral Loiterer

Hi, it seems we have similar interests. I am writing a novel at the moment and it would be good to have a brainstorming buddy to hash out the more complicated parts of the plot line. I too get very over zealous when doing this, the pros and cons do excite a rather passionate and fun debate.
I don't have much of my manuscript ready for another's eyes seeing as how virtually NONE of it is typed yet and there are still so many fine details to hash out. It is a very very rough draft.

I am also 20 and in college and have a job but despite this my schedule is pretty relaxed and I can get on gaia everyday, and if not, I can definitely let you know.

Super Star

14,575 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Master Slayer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Kairi Nightingale
I'm looking for a brainstorming buddy. I don't really expect you to read my actual manuscripts (unless you really, really want to but I'm not going to push that - I'm shy with my early drafts sweatdrop ). However, I'd like someone to listen to me rant about my stories and help talk through some plot issues.
Brainstorming buddy? Well, that's just swell! For I've been up and about, on a search for these lovely brethren of my league.

And here's a reminder beforehand: I'm born British, though currently settling upon my abode in Australia. That said, I'll be using British English (spelling and such) throughout.

Apropos of my favourite genres? I've been digging into adventure/fantasy genres lately. As for my writing experience? I've had serious thought into writing since a year ago. That's when I started getting serious in my writing work, and segued to an avid writer/roleplayer. I started out my RPing career on Facebook, amusingly. I've ambled across our dear mother earth for nearly 17 years now and lurked around the Gaia community for nearly half a month.

And this certainly looks to be very promising- I'm looking forward to chatting/discussing the lore we've both gotten so fond of! And personally, I don't get on my e-mail much, but hey, I got a Skype!

Demonic Hellraiser

Maltese_Falcon91
Kairi Nightingale

I'm not really too comfortable giving away all the interesting dirt about me on a public forum, but, I'm Maltese Falcon. I'm twenty two, live on the West Coast, and have been serious about writing for the past two years, though I've dabbled in it for almost as long as I can remember. I'm pretty good about not running out on a friend, my work schedule might be... weird lately, but I'm willing to let you know ahead of time if I'll be unavailable for any sort of extended duration.

Oh. I'm also Canadian, so I might spell a few words differently. Colour and Armour, for example. Just keep that in mind.

Our favourite genres mostly match up, though I tend to favour the older flavours of fantasy and science fiction. Sword and Sorcery, Cyberpunk, that jazz. I've never gone too deep into Supernatural fiction, but I'm well versed enough in folklore to keep up, and my mythology should be up to snuff. I mostly specialize in Ancient Hebrew myths, but I study Greek, Roman, Egyptian and Norse as well, and possess a passing interest in both Mesopotamian, and Mesoamerican mythology.

I do a lot of things when it comes to writing. Right now what I'm working on is a science fiction roleplaying game, set in the far future. It's an idea that I've been toying with for months now, though I mothballed it a few months back, due to a combination of personal issues and lack of time. I've got an old design document floating around my Google Drive, but there's a lot of things I need to revise, and it's going to be some time before I've got anything ready to show off.

You don't need to worry. I'm not wonderful, but I'm competent enough with coding, graphics, and mapping to handle all of the technical aspects on my own, so, I really wouldn't expect a writing buddy to be able to offer any serious technical expertise. Mostly what I'm looking for is someone to look over my work, nit-pick it to hell, and help me patch up all the little stupid things I overlooked.

This project isn't commercial, and I'm using RPGmaker VX Ace. I'd make sure you get full credit for your help, but this thing is just a hobby of mine, and it isn't going to make any money. Here's a few screenshots from an older project of mine, it should give you a good idea of what this game will look and feel like, and the kinds of things I'm capable of:

I'm originally planned the game to feature a large 'hub' city, called Ur Rashdaan, but VX Ace can't handle large maps with lots of Events, and even with every little trick I could find to reduce the amount of lag, it was still too much. Still, I'm proud of how the entire city looked, so if you're curious you can find a basic map here.

hey. you know you can link a LOT of small city quarter or even street maps together so they connect right form street to street, making it a massive explorable city in the end. you only neeed to have plans on where which alley and backstreet and doors lead. and the many houses insides of course (all it needs is a ENTRY POINT place on the big map, the rest is only accessible by actualy walking around in the city); pirate rofl scream rolleyes
Ratgod
hey. you know you can link a LOT of small city quarter or even street maps together so they connect right form street to street, making it a massive explorable city in the end.

No. You can't.

Breaking up the city was literally the first thing I thought to do, but I still wound up using too many events, and there just wasn't any way to completely eliminate that lag.

Demonic Hellraiser

Maltese_Falcon91
Ratgod
hey. you know you can link a LOT of small city quarter or even street maps together so they connect right form street to street, making it a massive explorable city in the end.

No. You can't.

Breaking up the city was literally the first thing I thought to do, but I still wound up using too many events, and there just wasn't any way to completely eliminate that lag.

then I dont know. make a "clickable" city map with some fancy art and important but few real places to visit? makes it maybe look bigger than it is really?
Ratgod
then I dont know. make a "clickable" city map with some fancy art and important but few real places to visit? makes it maybe look bigger than it is really?

That's not something I have any interest in doing, and work on that game has been discontinued for almost half a year.

Demonic Hellraiser

Maltese_Falcon91
Ratgod

That's not something I have any interest in doing, and work on that game has been discontinued for almost half a year.

just noticed we have the same colour code. down to the green eyes and glasses;

Lonely Phantom

7,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Kairi Nightingale

Hey there! This is more of a fun factoid about my avatar, but it's name is based off of a friend of mine who forgot the full name it first had. I'm 22 (currently) and I'm sad to admit this, but I don't read as much as I should. Thus far my favorite genres consist of mystery / suspense, and fantasy. As for writing experience, I did quite a bit of role playing when I first started Gaia. Over the years, I pretty much have resorted to writing some poetry here and there when I feel like writing, and short stories. My (negative) writing habits consist of me switching from first to third person a lot, and failing to keep the same verb tense. My favorite part about the writing process is the listening and talking about story concepts, plot development, and character progression.

These past few months I've been working on and off about an old story I originally started on this site. I wrote the story before I could spell at least somewhat decent; so I thought it would be good to go back and fix it up.

For contacting me, sending PM's, email, facebook... nearly every social media to be honest, are all viable. I'm most active through email, and facebook.

I hope your search is going fine ~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces