Welcome to Gaia! ::

Due too the fact that the Euphonium is a newer instrument, and only has a it's rightfull place in band, and brass band ensembles, with some small orchestral appearances and big solo pieces with band or orchestra accompaniment, not a lot of people know what it is. It's quite depressing really the amount of people who have no idea what the instrument is. As a Euphoniumist, it is my task to educate the world of the instrument I have been playing since I was 12, yet I find it hard to describe it without using terms that would confuse the people that I am discribing it to. So I as you few who do know what a Euphonium is, how would you describe it too people?

Frozen Bard

18,150 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Team Carl 200
  • Team Devin 200
A brass instrument that looks like a silver tuba or silver baritone horn.
Was used in the Music Man.
Lighter tone/timbre than baritone horn (I think)
The only Euphoniumist I know is my university librarian. I read that finding jobs (US) of only Euphonium performances are really hard, so getting a teaching degree and teaching in college or becoming very lucky and being accepted into a professional band, such as a military band are professions.
Operadaisuki26
The only Euphoniumist I know is my university librarian. I read that finding jobs (US) of only Euphonium performances are really hard, so getting a teaching degree and teaching in college or becoming very lucky and being accepted into a professional band, such as a military band are professions.

That's a fairly good description. I honestly hate using the "its a smaller tuba" card because it is nothing like a tuba. And I especially hate the "it's just like a baritone" card because they are two fairly different instruments.
it's interesting that you think the baritone has a deeper tone than the euphonium, since the euphonium has quite a bit more tubing and a significantly wider bell I find that the euphonium has a darker and deeper tone than the baritone. But our ears are different. What you hear may be completely different from what I hear.
And you are right, it is a huge b***h winning jobs as a euphoniumist. There is absolutely no gig scene for the instrument, and 3/4 of the world has no idea what it is. All in all I predict a rough future ahead of me.

Frozen Bard

18,150 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Team Carl 200
  • Team Devin 200
PanDah K
Operadaisuki26

That's a fairly good description. I honestly hate using the "its a smaller tuba" card because it is nothing like a tuba. And I especially hate the "it's just like a baritone" card because they are two fairly different instruments.
it's interesting that you think the baritone has a deeper tone than the euphonium, since the euphonium has quite a bit more tubing and a significantly wider bell I find that the euphonium has a darker and deeper tone than the baritone. But our ears are different. What you hear may be completely different from what I hear.
And you are right, it is a huge b***h winning jobs as a euphoniumist. There is absolutely no gig scene for the instrument, and 3/4 of the world has no idea what it is. All in all I predict a rough future ahead of me.

Study Study Study
Make lots of friends
make ensembles with friends
Go to music camps to get to know alot of people and stay in contact with them
gain a myriad of work experiences from differen jobs which in the future may help you in some way
Operadaisuki26
PanDah K
Operadaisuki26

Study Study Study
Make lots of friends
make ensembles with friends
Go to music camps to get to know alot of people and stay in contact with them
gain a myriad of work experiences from differen jobs which in the future may help you in some way

If only it were easier said than done lol. But thank you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff