Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loverboy

What are some nice viola concertos you know?

My conductor wants me to play a solo with an orchestral accompaniment, but I don't know what to play, and he isn't very familiar with viola solos..

Worst comes to worst, I'll play a violin concerto.

In a relationship with my viola

Greedy Capitalist

12,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Champion 300
I really like the Bartók concerto.
Have you looked at the three major viola concertos? Hindemith, Bartók, Walton.

If you have a symphony orchestra and a harpist, you could play Harold in Italy...a chamber orchestra could play Telemann or Hoffmeister or a one-movement concert work...
What do you have in mind?

Loverboy

Souvenir de Florence

If you have a symphony orchestra and a harpist, you could play Harold in Italy...a chamber orchestra could play Telemann or Hoffmeister or a one-movement concert work...

Ahh, thank you so much for replying!

First off, I don't think Hindemith would be appropriate for a high school concert. Bartok and Walton concertos are very beautiful, but I think Walton is out of the question because it is so difficult not only for me but also for the orchestra. Bartok, however, is something I can consider.

My last resort options were the Hoffmeister or Beethoven's Romance No.2, but I will definitely look into the other names you gave me.

In a relationship with my viola

Greedy Capitalist

12,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Champion 300
Linduhh
Souvenir de Florence

Ahh, thank you so much for replying!

First off, I don't think Hindemith would be appropriate for a high school concert. Bartok and Walton concertos are very beautiful, but I think Walton is out of the question because it is so difficult not only for me but also for the orchestra. Bartok, however, is something I can consider.

My last resort options were the Hoffmeister or Beethoven's Romance No.2, but I will definitely look into the other names you gave me.

no problem!!

I also suggest you look at the Bruch Romanze...I won a concerto competition with it and it is really beautiful. hahaha
I wish I still had my viola.. I play no longer sad

Good luck to you.

Beloved Friend

To be honest, if you don't play viola-native repertoire (and unfortunately I don't know any off the top of my head, sorry), I think playing cello concerti might be better - since the strings are the same, but an octave down from a viola, it might feel better for you. I don't know, though. But if you do, there is a really excellent Dvorak cello concerto worth looking at? Sorry I can't help more... I love the viola, but there is pitifully little repertoire for it as a solo instrument. I also really wish the viola da gamba would come back into style - it's another really cool instrument and I'd love to experiment with it for baroque chamber music.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff