Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
I absolutely ADORE Natalie Dessay. heart Her voice is just so pure and dynamic for a contralto. More mainstream, Amy Lee's got a nice voice as well.
Natalie Dessay is a coloratura soprano... that's about as far as a woman can get from contralto.

That aside, she is very good, ever since her surgery though I've been a little skeptical.
Taylor Swift, Vienna Teng, A fine frenzy.... there are alot XD
Nina Simone. heart
taranova12
I absolutely ADORE Natalie Dessay. heart Her voice is just so pure and dynamic for a contralto. More mainstream, Amy Lee's got a nice voice as well.

I LOVE Natalie Dessay!! I'm also a huge fan of Cecilia Bartoli--look up her stuff if you're into lighter, coloratura voices!

5,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
I meant coloratura. XD LMAO.

Thanks for the responses. ^-^
This will be biased based upon some recent listening, but the first I will mention is Gina Sicilia: Neo-soul singer, very large-voiced, tough alto singing, but she can also perform quite beautifully on more mellow tunes. One thing that I love is that while the girl can sing in many different styles, and hit some higher notes here and there, she does not try to over-extend herself outside of her range. Sometimes, it can be very difficult to find an alto that doesn't suffer from soprano envy. This is not the case here. The album Can't Control Myself is brilliant.

I've also discovered Dana Fuchs recently, who also has a somewhat rough, tough voice, and while she doesn't quite have the range of Sicilia, she is a talented singer. The closest comparison I can think of is Janis Joplin before her voice was wrecked. Hell, she got her start performing by being part of a two woman play about Joplin's life and had to sing twenty Joplin songs a night. (Yes, twenty! I am pretty sure that Janis couldn't sing twenty Joplin songs a night... ninja ) Her studio album is mediocre, unfortunately, since a scattershot approach is taken in regards to musical styles, but her live stuff is great. Check YouTube for some songs.

Another is Eden Brent, but be warned that she has a very love-it-or-hate-it voice; sort of raw, over-cooked, smoky, southern vocals, quite distinctive. For a point of reference, try to picture an extremely southern Billie Holiday while she still had some strength in her voice. I especially love the backing instrumentation on her albums which consist of a lot of acoustic blues/boogie woogie/New Orleans type material. Ain't Got No Troubles is great.
Sumi Jo, Veronica Gem, Suzy Bae (from Miss A), IU, Hayley Westenra, Lucia Popp, Natalie Dessay, Youngok Shin, and So-Hyun Kim.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
IU, Hayley Westenra, Chloe Agnew, Lisa Kelly, Meav Ní Mhaolchatha, Hitoto Yo, Bo-Kyung Kim, Sumi Jo, Ayaka, Ayaka Hirahara, Mika Nakashima, Suzy Bae, Taeyeon Kim.

oppa luhan's Wife

Kawaii Shoujo

9,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • First step to fame 200
taylor swift,selena gomez,and victoria justice heart heart heart

8,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Sarah Brightman, followed closely by Adele... heart
any one listen to jackie evancho?

PearlTears's Wife

Aged Curse

17,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Temple Takeover 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Eek... too many...

Melissa Etheridge, Ann and Nancy Wilson (Heart), Tsuki Amano, and Sonja Kraushofer are my tops.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff