Welcome to Gaia! ::

Personally, I don't think there's a comparison. Tchaikovsky is just RAW, PASSIONATE, INTRICATE, EXPLODING BEAUTY. Not to say that Chopin isn't great, but I read this book about a girl who likes Chopin best and Tchaikovsky second. And I'm like, "HOW?" Even after being finished with the book for weeks, it is still haunting me. How can you put Chopin before Tchaikovsky?

Blessed Seeker

7,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
mrgreen Haha I guess you really love Tchaikovsky. Although I can't really compare the two since I'v listened to a lot of Chopin and hardly any Tchaikovsky. But those Russian composers can REALLY make some intense music. Have you ever listened to any of Rachmaninoff's pieces?
Lord Sreder
mrgreen Haha I guess you really love Tchaikovsky. Although I can't really compare the two since I'v listened to a lot of Chopin and hardly any Tchaikovsky. But those Russian composers can REALLY make some intense music. Have you ever listened to any of Rachmaninoff's pieces?
You don't know what you're missing! :)
No, I haven't. Could you recommend some for me??

Blessed Seeker

7,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
aelariin
You don't know what you're missing! :)
No, I haven't. Could you recommend some for me??

3nodding Yeah I definitely need to listen to some more of Tchaikovsky's pieces.

gonk But holy crap! I really need to recomend you some! Since you like Tchaikovsky, you might lik Rachmaninoff since he is, just like Tchaikovsky, Russian and from the Romantic period of music.

This one is interesting:

This is his first piece I ever heard:

This one blew me away:

And finally:
chopin's work is a lot more technical

incidentally, it is better by leaps and bounds, but that's just because tchaikovsky only ever did trite and pedantic hogwash

Sparkly Gekko

7,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I agree with moron, Chopin did a lot of technical pieces and is really well-known for his many great piano etudes, while Tchaikovsky was known more for his big, passionate, intense orchestral pieces, and his ballets. Honestly, they're known for different things, so it's like comparing apples and oranges. Though personally, if I had to pick, I'd say Tchaikovsky. :3

5,500 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Wall Street 200
  • Team Edward 100
I think Tchaikosvky is very feminine, pink and dreamy whereas Chopin is very passionate and dark but can be a bit depressing. I think it depends on the mood I am in to classify which of these composers I prefer. However I prefer playing Chopin than listening. I've never played Tchaikovsky's works but used to dance at it when no one was looking and have made a couple of fragmented memories through that music. So I have to say Tchaikovsky wins.
aelariin
Personally, I don't think there's a comparison. Tchaikovsky is just RAW, PASSIONATE, INTRICATE, EXPLODING BEAUTY. Not to say that Chopin isn't great, but I read this book about a girl who likes Chopin best and Tchaikovsky second. And I'm like, "HOW?" Even after being finished with the book for weeks, it is still haunting me. How can you put Chopin before Tchaikovsky?

Three words...... Rite of Spring

Eloquent Friend

Chopin was more a concentrated composer, focusing mostly on piano and completely revolutionized technical playing. His etudes are a must for most classical pianists these days. Mountains of works were then written around his techniques. I think that in terms of who made a bigger impact on music history, it might have been Chopin.

Tchaikovsky though was an absolute master of orchestration. The way he utilized the orchestra and the sounds they were capable of showed great care and study in every instrument involved, with a close focus on every detail. Everything was intentional, and ended up making great orchestral, vocal, and operatic works with the orchestra.

On a side note, both of them also had quite tragic downfalls.
That is such a toughie for me because I just love them both soo much.
However, Tchaikovsky has and always will be my favorite composer.
Sorry, Chopin.
Tchaikovsky could eat Chopin for breakfast. There's no way Chopin should be put before the T-man.

It's like putting Cole Porter over Stravinsky. Things like this make me lose faith in humanity! xp

Fatcat

Rachmaninoff all the way. emotion_dowant

Fatcat

Lord Sreder
aelariin

I really love Valentina Lisitsa's Rachmaninoff and Chopin interpretations. I've been listening to her etudes ever since.

Blessed Seeker

7,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Mintcubes
I really love Valentina Lisitsa's Rachmaninoff and Chopin interpretations. I've been listening to her etudes ever since.

I definitely agree with you! 3nodding she plays Chopin's Etudes phenomenally! I just need to find more videos of her playing more pieces from Rachmaninoff. I think I'v found like 3 so far.

Fatcat

Lord Sreder
Mintcubes

I definitely agree with you! 3nodding she plays Chopin's Etudes phenomenally! I just need to find more videos of her playing more pieces from Rachmaninoff. I think I'v found like 3 so far.

Hm, how about Rachmaninoff's Little Red Riding Hood? emotion_dowant

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces